Capital One Senior Business Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 31, 2017

2.9

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

I had a phone screen, followed by a phone case interview, and an onsite power day with 2 case interviews. The entire process was very smooth and rather quick. It took place within the space of 3-4 weeks from my initial referral by an internal employee. I have to admit that Cap One's recruiting process is one that I admire because it goes after truly good talent with a quantitative focus but not exactly like management consulting companies. I get the rejection email the next morning and was told my cumulative scores weren't enough to recommend a hire. I'm providing an indepth account to help others out there understand the process. My suggestion is be careful with your assumptions, calculations, and try and ace both your cases. Don't think there will be a 3rd case after lunch if you do so so.

The phone case interview was fairly simple-about a non profit company that needed to fundraise and if they should sell tickets to a gala or do donations via website and do a breakeven analysis.

On-site interviews:
First Case-Credit Card Rewards. The company is trying to decide whether or not to offer credit card rewards to existing customers. What should you consider before making a decision? Here are some numbers (APR, revenue percentages, cost, defaults) Ok, then what's the minimum new spend to the breakeven if it costs us X% to provide rewards. I didn't account for the loss of principal for defaulters (4%) as a cost, which he caught and led me to correct the equation (Mistake #1). Here I calculated the right answer but forgot I was looking at an annual cost instead of monthly cost and paused for a while thinking I got the wrong answer until the interviewer pointed out that I did have in fact the correct answer. (Mistake #2) He then asked if there's a quick mental math that can be done because our revenue had been halved and all other parts of the equation had stayed the same. The answer was minimum spend had to double, which he led me to. Next, if doubling the spend was not feasible, what else could be done. So retaining the customer longer than if we didn't have the rewards was the answer, and I was asked to calculate a new breakeven minimum spend if rewards customers are retained for 4 years versus 3. Here, I made a simple calculation mistake and he caught it (Mistake #3), though it didn't change the outcome which was the minimum spend only had to go up by $14/mo. So now what would my recommendation be? My recommendation was we should definitely offer the rewards. He asked what are the main assumptions behind this. I stated correctly that the ability to increase the spend should assured of and that other costs of providing rewards stay the same. I was then asked about 4 quadrants of people, high/low likely of attriting and high/low spenders and who we should focus on retaining. I got that right as well. I was told that I had documented my thinking well and the case was done.

2nd case-Credit Card Case again with 3 customer segment tests with different APR rates and different spend per segment of customers. Needed to find out profitability, and why you would pick one versus another even if profit came to the same. Low APR might get us new customers but it would mean customers are keeping higher balances which means they are in debt more. I answered that that might not be what we want to be known for, i.e., fleecing customers. Then changed the scenario by adding in marketing costs and response date for direct mailing,e g.. Then asked to calculate how it changes over the lifetime of customers retained. I believe I got this case but I didn't get a good response either way. I was only asked 1 behavioral question by 2nd interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you went out of your way to help a colleague or person?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

They have the entire process down to a T, starting with the initial recruiter call to the online screening test (like a lighter version of the GRE/GMAT) to the actual scheduling.

On the day of the face-to-face, a bunch of us found ourselves in a coffee/break room at 8am, and then each of us were called to meet with the people that would be interviewing us. They were professional, very good and nice people.

I mangled my answers and didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• If high-risk credit card consumers were to default, what's your exposure? (The answer they are expecting is that they are going to max the cards out and then default)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was reached out by a recruiter and after a phone screen, graduated to the on-site interview. Travel and food was paid for by Capital One.

The day of the interview was very chaotic as there were about 80 candidates interviewing for several internship as well as full time roles. HR was very ill organized, in that they did not know which candidates were interviewing for what positions. Not everyone got a place to even sit at the lounge and most people just had to stand while waiting for their turn to interview. In my initial communications with the recruiter, I was told that I would be doing 4 interviews - 2 cases and 2 behavioral.

I was asked to wait in a room before the interview scheduled time. Here I was given my schedule for the day - with 1st case, 1st behavioral, 2nd case, break and then lunch. I am to sure why they wouldn't communicate the true format of the interview process.

All candidates were then taken to lunch at the buffet-style cafeteria in small groups, by one current employee. After lunch, he took us back, on the way giving us a tour of the building.

Immediately after lunch, we were again asked to huddle around a recruiter, who took us one at a time into a room and told us to either take our stuff and leave OR stay for another interview.

Some candidates were asked to stay for the 4th interview which was supposedly another "case" with a senior employee. I was told my interviews had ended and that I had to leave. I was directly escorted to the room where we had left our luggage and out the door to a shuttle to the airport. I had informed HR that my flight back was only after 5 hours and the airport was only 30 mins away. I was told I couldn't wait on their campus anymore and should wait at the airport or "try to get onto an earlier flight".

Overall, I thought the interview process was very poorly managed.

I would not have accepted the offer, even if they had selected me due to the strange company culture.

Interview Questions

• Case - Don't know why they even call it a case interview since it is not a "case analysis". It is more of a high school level math test.

Break Even Point calculation for Satellite Radio Company.
      Break Even Point for Capital One's Credit Cards, if they introduced a new reward system.
      It is only break even calculation for 45 mins, with different variables changed.

Behavioral - on similar lines as the prep questions they send.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

The first step was a phone interview with the recruiter. The in-person interview consisted of three 1-hour long interviews (2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview) and 1 hour break. There are pre-determined interview days for the specific position and all candidates for the position were interviewing in rooms next to each other. The case interviews are meant to be discussion based in which you and the interviewer continue to work through the case and problem-solve, I found one of the interviewers to be very rude in this regard. Upon entering the room, he did speak at all, but rather put all his materials down on the table and fidgeted with his papers, phone, etc for about 5 minutes, then when he was ready he just started reading the case story. I thought if this is how a senior level person within the organization acts during an interview, I would not want to be a member of his team. All the candidates were provided lunch in the Capital One cafeteria which was a nice benefit, however we were interviewing for a senior level position and were paired with very junior level employees for lunch which made the conversation difficult during lunch as the candidates were trying to inquire about the organization. At the beginning of the interview process, the HR coordinator states that one candidate may be asked to remain after the interviews have concluded, but that is not a determination of a job offer; however, that is false. All candidates that were dismissed after the conclusion of the interviews did not receive a job offer and the candidate that was asked to remain was the selected candidate and received an offer. Due to my background, the recruiter I had been working with suggested that I would be a very good fit in one of the other departments and offered to provide my information to the recruiter working on the specific opportunities in that department, however no further communication was received from Capital One.

Interview Questions

• Case study about whether to enter into a specific market.   Answer Question

Senior Business Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in August 2014.

Interview

I applied to a job posting online and that same I was contacted by a recruiter by email asking to schedule an interview time and date. I schedule the interview for the following day, The recruiter explained that the company was going in a different direction for this position because of new leadership. and that what they were looking for was a rare combination of skills which she wasn't was very realistic by the candidates she was coming across and maybe they would have to modify their expectations. They wanted a recent MBA with analytical skills and client management skills which didn't seem that hard to find... she asked me a few question starting with "tell me about yourself" after the interview she advised me the process would take some time and that it was a difficult interview process consisting of several phone interviews followed by a full day interview at their location this interview would consist of about 8hrs talking to different level decision makers and a case study potion. after about two weeks I reached out to the recruiter and left to email following up on the process and finally after about another week or two she got back to me to let me know that they were looking for specific skill set and were going to pursue other candidates.

Senior Business Manager Interview

Interview

Phone interviews followed by two case interviews on the site. THey are pretty detailed and focus on very small things so be prepared to go in depth.

One of the important thngs is to walk the interviewer into your thought process. that way if they don't like the way the process is going they can correct you.

Interview Questions

• how did you negotiate with the executive leadership team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

There is NO WAY I didn't get my test right. I did GRE/GMAT recently and I got a really good score. So, I guess they will tell you about test results based on how much they want you and how many people they have to select from. If you not sure about the position - don't waste 2 hours of you weekend time on testing.

Interview Questions

• How you can get perfect score for GRE/GMAT and didn't do well on CapitalOne testing?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in November 2011.

Interview

Skills Test= very easy : simple Maths, no preparation required.
    Phone Interview= vey easy: general questions/ aspirations.
    Full Day interview= difficult: 4 on a road interviews, two cases ( consulting type) and two behavioral. They can use two interviewers at a time. The seem very focus on Quant skills. Some interviewers were not clear enough. Overall I had a good time and believe it is not a difficult interview.

Interview Questions

• Cases: very quant focus cases.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in June 2011.

Interview

Contacted through LinkedIn about the position. Passed the first round of skills/personality tests so I was asked to come to Richmond for more interviews which consisted of 2 business "case studies" and 2 behavioral interviews - each with 1 person. So I met with a total of 4 people. They ask you to stay for lunch, and during that time the 4 people you interviewed with, get together and make a decision; they have to come to a consensus. I nailed 3 out of 4 interviews and made 2 stupid mistakes on the last case study and I was told the next day because of that I didn't get the job. I was shocked. I made a careless mistake, and then 1 math mistake, but eventually came to the right answer in the end - I totally thought I was going to get the job.... even though they are very very vague as to exactly what job you are applying for. The entire process was pretty cryptic. The case studies were overall pretty simple, which of course makes you feel like even more of an idiot when you "fail". Recruiter was OK, but if he/she has no interest in talking to you after you are done with your interview day in Richmond - then you didn't get the job. They know pretty much immediately after you are done.

Interview Questions

• Credit card insurance case: calculate break-even claim rate where response rate = 2%, fee charged = 1% of monthly balance, and average balance = $1,000 per month.   8 Answers

Senior Business Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

After the initial IQ test and HR phone interview, I had a behavioral interview and a case interview.

The Behavioral Interview:
    They asked only 4 major questions...asked me to describe a certain situation and then pecked at it from all sides. Have your stories clear, and the situations should be "rich", in the sense that it should have shown your leadership, initiative, how you worked with people, issues that you faced and how you overcame these issues.

The Case Interview:
    You run an oil refinery that can process 1 million barrels of crude oil per year, have certain fixed costs (debt repayment, salaries, maintenance, etc), and certain variable costs (cost of crude oil, transport). You have 3 products that you sell after refining the crude oil: a certain % goes into Gasoline (highest price), another part is Heating Oil (mid-price) and finally Asphalt (lowest price).

The first question is to calculate the total profit. Simple enough - list down all revenue and cost drivers in a table and do the math.

Next they asked how would I increase the profit...hit all the cost drivers and how you would bring down those costs, then talk about how you could change your production mix towards more of the higher-priced products.

The last question presented two more options - other varieties of crude coming to the market, and with different crude prices as well as different final product mix that you could make from the crude oil varieties. Essentially the lower priced crude could make less Gasoline, and the higher priced crude could make more Gasoline. Do the profit calculations in the form of a table (with all 3 crude varieties in the table), and finally decide which variety of crude gives the highest profit. In my case, the cheapest variety of crude oil gave the highest profit, but this may be different in your case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you faced push-back and how did you deal with it. What if they still would not come across to your point of view...what would you do?   Answer Question

Another position came up, and Capital One's culture seemed to be very secretive and frankly, a bit creepy.