Capital One Senior Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Senior Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2017

77 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Long process with many steps. You start with a coding challenge. If you pass that then you go to a data challenge, case study questions, and an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• For the data challenge you will have to use a free software to analyze the data.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

I had overestimated the importance of database management and underestimated the role of Python programming for this position when preparing for the interview. While Python is one of my most proficient programming languages, all of the programs I developed in this language were for homework assignments, not professional or semester-long academic projects. The interviewer was intent on having me detail how I analyzed data with Python (and only Python). This threw me off. Granted I sent a list of the work I have done with Python programs in my thank you letter to the interviewer, but I'm afraid the damage is done. I wish the interviewer allowed me to summarize my projects that utilized other programming languages, like MATLAB and R-Statistics.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you take out a loan of $3000 for 1 year. If the loan has an interest of 2% for the first 5 months and 14% for the rest of the year, how much interest will you have to pay by the end of the year?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

HR screen call that has 5 simple math word problems. An interesting Data challenge that can be completed with any open source tool. A coding round that has SQL and basic programming. And 2 case studies during on site round out of 4 total.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave consulting?   1 Answer

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in April 2015.

Interview

The process includes one phone interview to test your math skills and 4 rounds on site which include 2 case studies one behavioral and one data challenge analysis round. Case studies involve basic revenue-profit analysis cases and the data challenge round involves discussion of the analysis we came out with the data they provided(2 days is given to produce a report, which is discussed during on-site round)

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to pitch a project to your team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The recruiter contacted me right away and scheduled a phone screening, which included an overview of your resume, a few basic math problems (weighted averages, break-even quantities/prices, etc.), and your salary expectations. After that came an online coding challenge through HackerRank, in which you are tested on your scripting skills in SQL, Python, etc. A new (at the time) online Data Challenge assessment followed, for which you are given a hypothetical business situation with some datasets, and tested on your working knowledge of open-source software and business analytical skills. I enjoyed the flexible aspect of the data challenge, and was invited for an on-site interview in Richmond, Virginia.

The in-person interview was very similar in structure to many others described here. Behavioral + Case Studies + Job Fit (discussing your Data Challenge submission). Throughout the interview, I felt that their online job descriptions did not reflect clearly the type of candidates they were looking for. The descriptions were ambiguous at times, and sounded very generic (SAS, SQL, data queries, procedure automation, reporting, etc.) The company appears to have updated these online posting descriptions since, but they are clearly looking for computer engineers with software development backgrounds, rather than conventional data analysts with database management and analytical skills. They told me that we were among the first to interview for "a new generation of data analysts", which sounded encouraging, but at the price of the company actively moving away from licensed software towards open-source technology. So if your strongest selling points are, for example, SAS, Stata, or MATLAB, do not apply, this is not the right company for your talents.

Overall, the interview experience was good. The interviewers explained very well the different aspects of the job, the company, and the direction it's headed. I felt that Capital One really wants to lead the technological developments in the banking field. This is a great vision, but unfortunately leaves very little opportunities for licensed technologies, their dependable processing capabilities, and those that have invested heavily in these skill sets.

Interview Questions

• The case studies were business situations about offering customers incentives, market segmentation analyses, calculating expected profits, break-even quantities, and deciding on a final course of business action.   2 Answers
    • The Data Challenge (Job Fit) interview was a discussion on your submission materials.   1 Answer
    • Do you have experience with Hadoop or R?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received phone screen from HR. I was asked background and five simple math questions during phone screen. Then, went to on-site interview one week later.On "super day", I had two cases and six behavioral questions. The interview went from 8 am to 2 pm . one on one in a room.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions are some typical ones (Name a time you .......)
      Case interview consists one business case (break even points etc..) and one credit card promotion case (Test group and Control Group)   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One in September 2015.

Interview

There were 6 rounds of interview. 1st round is 20 mins aptitude and 25 minutes sql+algorithms 2nd and 3rd are pure techinical rounds where you will be asked to write some queries from the dataset which they already have. Mainly analytical functions like lead, rank etc. 4th will be like a manager round / behaviour round. 5th will be a case round and 6th will be a case round again. I was told i El be having only case analysis round but they took one more case round and i did not get through in the 2nd case round.

Interview Questions

• hotel managememt case study, journey management case study, questions based on lead analytical functions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

Got an interview call through a recruiter. The 1st round of selection is a straight forward screening over the phone. After that you are called for an onsite round of interviews which typically include 2 behavioral interviews and 2 case studies. You might be called for a 5th round of interview after lunch.

Interview Questions

• Typical "Tell us about a time when..." STAR format questions. The case studies are mostly business scenarios with a bit of quantitative maneuvering. Be careful and focus on what they ask you to calculate as you might waste time if figuring out stuff which they are not interested in.
      Also, won't hurt to go through a few examples of case studies that the recruiter will send you (I am sure you can find a lot online as well)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Efficient and thorough. They are definitely looking for nearly flawless candidates. Two case-style questions that involved working through profit/loss maximizing and minimizing. Two "behavioral" sessions which are more conversational about your background and motivations. I was not given an offer, nor told why I wasn't a good fit. I felt good about my background, case answers, and overall discussion with the team members. I suspect the position was ultimately given to someone less expensive or that was local as I would have needed a relocation package.

Interview Questions

• Determine average daily cost or profit, then tweak the initial set of variables for new scenarios and finally determine a break even point.   1 Answer

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

Fairly standard process where recruiter contacts you to set up an initial phone screen, followed by an online assessment for quantitative and personality review.

Onsite interviews are a mix of case, behavioral and fit interviews. Once an offer is extended, there is not much room for negotiation.

Interview Questions

• Typical case interview - a series of quantitative and business sense questions revolved around a hypothetical theme.   1 Answer