Capital One Senior Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Senior Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2017

76 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Found the job role through LinkedIn. Contacted by recruiter after 10 days submitting my resume. Scheduled 30mins quick phone call for knowing each other. Recruiter asked me about python,SQL experience and also explained what is the difference between data analyst and data scientist. Next round will be coding challenge on HackerRank. 2 SQL and 2 general programming questions.(75mins) This round is easy no worries. After that, I got my data challenge dataset. Enough time(1 week) to do comprehensive analysis about the dataset.(not difficult but time-consuming) Pass rate won't be very high this round. Last round will be on-site. 2 case+1 behavioral+1 data challenge presentation. Capital one's case interview is different from Big 3's. They are less structured but more quantitative intensive.(tons of numbers) I think its ok if you made some little mistakes during calculation(I forgot *12 months when I calculate yearly profits) interviewer will give you hint to correct it, but you need to express your thought well organized. Behavioral questions can be found in this site all same.
After that, 1-hour lunch with other members of the line of business and the other candidates . I got a feedback that I am a recommend for hire very quickly like 2 hours later.
Capital one's hiring process is clear and decent. Having lots of fun!

Interview Questions

• What is your proudest project?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in May 2017.

Interview

First I had a phone round in order to know more about my background details like education and college. Then comes the coding round which is easy to crack with some sense of mind and intelligence. Next follows the Data Challenge. You will be given some time to solve the challenge with a data set and instructions on what to do. This will have a lot of expectations which they don't mention. Lastly the face to face interview

Interview Questions

• Given a Data Challenge and was asked to solve using any technology   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Important stuff for the interviewers:
    1. Python Programming
    2. SQL Programming
    3. Having Data Analytics POV

The interview process contained of a phone call interview (HR), Coding challenge (Hackerrank), Data Challenge (the most difficult part), and Power-Day (On-Site Interview)

** For the coding challenge, you'll see 2 SQL programming questions, and two general programming questions.
    ** For the Data Challenge, you should spend enough time to first understand the situation pretty well and then start working on it. It usually takes +10 hours.
    ** In Power-Day you'll have 2 case interview (pretty straightforward) and 1-2 behavioral interview(s).

Interview Questions

• ATM question with some inputs like: transaction fees, yearly costs, # of transactions, ...
      It was desired to find the Break Even point in different situation.   Answer Question
    • A coding company with a new contract. Divided in two cases : 1. short-term contract, 2. long-term contract
      It was desired to see how the company should deal with the new contract.   Answer Question
    • Behavioral Question 1: Describe a hard project you had before and how you coped with it.   Answer Question
    • Behavioral Question 2: Describe a stressful time and your approach to deal with that.   Answer Question
    • Behavioral Question 3: Describe a time you tried to convince your manager (other people), explain your approach.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

There were many rounds.
    1. Telephonic casual interview by recruiter
    2. Coding challenge (Basic SQL, and coding using any language)
    3. Data Challenge ( given a data you have to do your analysis) - this took a long time and effort
    4. Onsite interview- There were 4 interviews here
    a. Behavioral - General Tell me a situation question
    b. Case- Mobile App checq deposit case. You have to basically find break even. It was hard to understand what the interviewer was telling.
    c. Data challenge interview- The interviewer will ask about the Data challenge. Be ready to answer any question
    d. Case Interview- Credit card case. Where one group is divided into test other into control. You have to find the profit .

The hardest for me was case interview. Despite a lot of prep. I would suggest the biggest factor here is to comprehend what the interviewer is asking and putting it in a equation. Once you figure the equation you can easily crack the case as it is simple Math.

I believe there are not many openings here and the interview just keeps happening. I invested more than a month on this process and did not get a job. More than Data analysis they look at how well you understand the Banking domain which is not appropriate for I am from a Technical background.

Advise to all : do not put all your eggs in this process. This is a little shady considering that they value only a crappy case interview so heavily.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

I had overestimated the importance of database management and underestimated the role of Python programming for this position when preparing for the interview. While Python is one of my most proficient programming languages, all of the programs I developed in this language were for homework assignments, not professional or semester-long academic projects. The interviewer was intent on having me detail how I analyzed data with Python (and only Python). This threw me off. Granted I sent a list of the work I have done with Python programs in my thank you letter to the interviewer, but I'm afraid the damage is done. I wish the interviewer allowed me to summarize my projects that utilized other programming languages, like MATLAB and R-Statistics.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you take out a loan of $3000 for 1 year. If the loan has an interest of 2% for the first 5 months and 14% for the rest of the year, how much interest will you have to pay by the end of the year?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

HR screen call that has 5 simple math word problems. An interesting Data challenge that can be completed with any open source tool. A coding round that has SQL and basic programming. And 2 case studies during on site round out of 4 total.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave consulting?   1 Answer

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2016.

Interview

HR contacted me directly from LinkedIn. I took one coding challenge, one data challenge, and one site interview after that. The coding challenge is not hard, and data challenge took time. They will give you one week to finish the data challenge, so you don't have too much worries on time.

Interview Questions

• What does coding challenge look like?   2 Answers

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in April 2015.

Interview

The process includes one phone interview to test your math skills and 4 rounds on site which include 2 case studies one behavioral and one data challenge analysis round. Case studies involve basic revenue-profit analysis cases and the data challenge round involves discussion of the analysis we came out with the data they provided(2 days is given to produce a report, which is discussed during on-site round)

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to pitch a project to your team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

1: Phone Interview with basic background questions followed by 5 basic arithmetic questions to solve. The answers need to be right, else you don't proceed ahead.
    Some of the Topics: weighted averages, break-even quantities/prices, simple interest, profit calculation. (I found most of the sums asked already here)

2. Hackerank Challenge - R, Python, Java, JavaScript

3. Data Challenge - Given the dataset you need to perform analysis and give recommendations (Difficult)

4. On site Interview : If you get one, your recruiter would provide you on how to prepare and topics needed in detail

a. Case Interview - 2
    b. Data Challenge presentation
    c. Behavioral Interview

For me Case Interview Topics I already found them here, though I have summarized them and here they are here, I bet you practice all of this, you get the job

Interview Questions

• They check for your attitude, your approach and your anxiety level! I solved both the case studies and I know I rocked the behavioral and Data challenge round, but still didn't ended up not being selected, why?   7 Answers
    • References?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

A recruiter will reach out to you to schedule an interview. This was a back and forth process of interviewing and rescheduling for 2 months. Very much a hassle. They will give you a phone interview with a few algebra problems.

The interview process consists of 6 interviews that alternate between a math/case study section and behavioral interview questions. They start with 4 and if you do good at that point, you get moved on to a final two. The math questions are basic algebra questions and behavioral questions are more about your drive to learn, etc. Then some simple technical questions.

Interview Questions

• When do you stop learning or have learned enough?   1 Answer
    • An ATM makes $2 per customer for 30% of its customers. Each time a customer uses the ATM it costs 2cents. The ATM servicing costs $3000. What is the break even point for this ATM?   2 Answers