Capital One Senior Financial Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Senior Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

3.2

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One in July 2017.

Interview

Applied and received an interview request via email the next day. Scheduled a phone interview for the day after. The recruiter was late, although pleasant.

From there I was required to take 4 assessments: 2 behavioral, 1 comprehensive, 1 quantitative. The first two were untimed, the last two averaged about 20 minutes. You're allowed a few days to take the exams before they expire.

I did not pass the math exam which came as no surprise because I do not test well, never have.

From there the recruiter called, left a message and provided an email letting me know they can not proceed with my application.

All in all, great experience but I would never want to work for a company who relies solely on tests to assess the quality of an applicant. We all have our strengths.... And weaknesses. My strengths happen to be Excel and my weakness tests.

Interview Questions

• Why am I looking to leave my current company?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

It started with a brief phone interview where I was asked about my background.

Then, I needed to complete on online assessment with reading comprehension questions and math questions. None of the problems were complicated but the time allotment was stringent. The math section had a lot of graphs/charts and you had to essentially pull relevant information from those graphs/charts and solve basic math problems. The tough part was choosing what data was relevant.

After, I was invited to an on site interview. The on site interview consisted of two case interviews and two behavioral style interviews, each 45 minutes long. The cases were both profitability cases. They both required you to perform SEVERAL breakeven analysis given different scenarios. After the interviews we had lunch and toured the campus.

They give you the results fairly quickly after interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you persuaded someone to see things your way.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call in two days from a recruiter to discuss basic question about my resume and scheduled an online behavioral and cognitive test. The pre-screen tests are easier than most practice exams on the Internet.

Invited to interview on-site. 2 behavioral, 2 case study interviews. They asked NOTHING about my resume, just situational questions with pre-worded follow up questions: make sure to have examples of situations where you handled conflict resolution. Case study is just like the practice materials they give you, easier than most sample material on the Internet, just don't bomb it. They're very helpful when you get stuck. The people are nice but (outside of the recruiter) they were all kind of robotic clones of each other. If you fit the calm demeanor, Type A personality you should be a good fit. All everyone talked about was the solid work-life balance and the opportunity to move roles.

Interview Questions

• Case interview: what are the strengths and threats of this new business opportunity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

Required quite a bit of preparation before hand. Lots of tests and other requirements before I got to actually get to a real interview. Actually took a second visit for that.
    Very organized and structured, just very slow to get to a real process. Panel questions as well

Interview Questions

• How would you analyze this (very specific) question? Why this way and not any of these other ways?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online and within 3 weeks, I received a call from the recruiter, who is a contractor, for a pre-screen. I passed and she told me there was a few assessments to take in order to move to 2nd round phone interview w. hiring mgr. During the screening it came to a conclusion the role was a lower salary and had agreed to continue.

The assessment was GMAT style questionnaire. It took more than a week for me to get access to the testing due to some conflict on my profile questions I answered during my application process.

Anyone knows that tests like these require studying prior to. I did not complete the testing as I realized this company nor lower paying role were for me.

This is a sub-prime credit card company and after this initial prescreening process, I'm not interested

Interview Questions

• What was your prior base pay? What type of roles are you applying for?   Answer Question

I opted out to take these unnecessary assessments

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

1. HR phone interview
    2. online behavioral and quantitative/english test
    3. on site interview that consists of 2 case interview and 2 behavioral with 4 different interviewers. Each interview was about 30minturs to 45minutes long.

On site interview was well organized.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you took an intitiative to change something from your job   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

First you will receive a phone screen, which for me was very brief and simply directions on the next step of the application process. The next step was to take a verbal and numerical reasoning timed test. This part should be practiced before taking to make sure you are comfortable with the time limit and the traps that are common on these tests. The final step is to go to their headquarters to have case study interviews and fit interviews.

Interview Questions

• Q: why are you interested in capital one and this position in particular?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

They'll hire you in two weeks max if you pass the tests

Interview Questions

• How many angels fit on the head of a pin   3 Answers

Negotiation

They give you a number, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in January 2012.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a Capital One recruiter via LinkedIn. We had a brief (approximately 30 minutes) phone call to discuss my background. After the phone interview, I was instructed to complete three online assessments: (1) Untimed Personality Test; (2) Timed Verbal Reasoning Test; (3) Timed Quantitative Reasoning Test. Upon passing the online assessments, I was invited to their office in Richmond to do an onsite interview (4 back to back interviews - two case studies and two behavioral interviews).

Overall, I did not think that the interviews were terribly difficult. Just be sure that you have clear and concise answers for explaining your experience. Also, if you do not have much experience with case studies, there are a lot of resources regarding what to expect and how to prepare.

**ONLINE ASSESSMENTS**
    The Capital One career site provides more than enough practice tests via links to SHL. The personality test was a basic psychometric evaluation - essentially, they want to know that you are a high performer and that you can work well in a collaborative group environment. Teamwork is VERY important.

While the timed math and verbal tests are not difficult - you should take the time to practice before taking the actual tests. The Capital One career site directs you to free practice tests through SHL and some other companies. I suppose the best way to explain the tests would be like a mini GMAT. The math test had 18 questions using various types of charts with data. The idea is to be able to determine the important data in an efficient manner. I kept double checking my answers and only finished 16 out of the 18 but passed with no problems. The verbal test had you read a passage and then answer questions based on the information that you just read.

**ONSITE INTERVIEWS**
    Ultimately, the case studies are the deciding factor. Be sure to pay close attention - and if you do not quite understand what the interviewer is looking for, don't be afraid to ask for direction. My case studies started with open ended questions and ultimately ended with some type of break-even analysis (e.g., at what point would your sales result in $0 profit/loss, should Capital One cancel a program that costs $X, etc.). The interviewers are very friendly. You are going to start out with very little or no data - so don't be afraid to ask questions in order to get the information needed to draw a conclusion.

My behavioral interviews were pretty standard (tell me about your background, why do you want to work here, tell me about a time when ...., etc.).

Interview Questions

• Different methods for valuing companies, basic income statement analysis, break-even analysis, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Capital One has a predetermined salary and bonus range for each position, so I did not bother with negotiating. The salary averages on Glassdoor were fairly accurate for my position - and my offer ended up being slightly higher, which was nice.

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Interview

Applied online and heard back from an HR contact fairly quickly. Had one initial phone screen with her (Hiring Manager had already looked at my resume) and then a follow up phone screen with the hiring manager. Initial phone screen was mostly behavioral with a heavy focus on my background and experience.

I was then invited to come in for a super-day. In total I had 7 interviews, more or less back to back, nothing longer than a 10 minute break in between any of them. Despite the length, the conversations were very laid back and easy to maintain. I had one case interview, two behavioral and the rest were job fit/technical. The case interview is laid out in almost the exact same way as the prep materials they send you so make sure you work through at least a few of those. The behavioral interviews were exactly how they indicate in the prep materials. The job fits fell on sort of spectrum from individuals who were really focused on my background to a few who wanted to know what I had learned/prepped for concerning my specific position. All of the prep you do for the job fit should be focused on your particular background and how that will apply to the position you are applying for (they are going to get very specific).

All in all, not to difficult and fairly smooth.

Interview Questions

• Job fit: Give me some examples of Balance Sheet Assets/Liabilities?   Answer Question