Capital One Senior Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Senior Quantitative Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2016.

Interview

Had been applying to Capital One for several years now and their ATS system kept turning me down. I started forwarding these turn down emails to a few Capital One points of contact to show them what was happening. Finally, in March 2016, I got a call for a phone screen. Then I got a phone interview with the hiring manager. Was turned down for that job by the hiring manager when he responded to my thank you note. I sent that turn down email to my contacts at the company. Then I got another HR recruiter phone screen and another hiring manager phone interview. Then I got an invite to visit in person. The email invite told me to arrive in the morning about 9am and that the meetings would last until 2pm. I discovered the interview location in Richmond, VA was not near public transit and asked if I could be interviewed in McLean, VA. The HR recruiters did not agree with that. They wanted me to arrive the evening before, stay overnight in a hotel and then take a cab to the interview site. I started sending these communications to a senior level executive to show him how much money his staff was spending asking people to interview for jobs that were not near public transit. I finally had to withdraw my application because I would not have been able to get to the worksite. HR recruiters really wanted me to interview for a junior level job that I did apply for at all because it is too junior. I had much more than 3 years of experience the job required. About a week after I withdrew my application for the junior level data analyst job, I got an email from Capital One requesting that I apply through their new cloud-based ATS called Workday. I applied for a manager job through that system - careful to apply only for jobs in McLean, VA. Got turned down by that new cloud-based ATS and sent the turn down email to the senior level executive. To me, the reason why Capital One can not fill its jobs is that they located a main office outside of Richmond, VA Greater Richmond public transit zones and it is known that Millennials are environmentally friendly and generally can not afford a car with all their college debt. The new cloud-based ATS did not work any better than the old one. I told them it would be better to interview me in McLean, VA so I would not have to miss as much time from work. They really did not get it. Recruiting fails.

Interview Questions

• What is your salary requirement?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied on Linkedin. I was contacted by a HR. The whole process took about 3 weeks. It has 1 phone interview, and 7 onsite interviews. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Questions

• The role is about commercial real estate modeling, and the "senior" title only refers to Master's degree. The phone interview was expected to be 30min, but it took 1 hour. The interviewer used to be a trader, so he's very aggressive and feels like changeling you all the time. I was then invited to an onsite interview at NY.

There are 2 case interviews, 1 behavioral interview, and 4 job fit interviews. There are two other candidates I came across that day, and one has 2-yr working experience already.....(I haven't even finished my MS degree) It seems that normally there are only 2-3 job fit interviews, I don't understand why I have 4.

One case interview is about Venmo. Math is only about break-even analysis, but make sure you get million and billion calculation correctly. They asked what would the break-even result change if you collaborate with a furniture company and they pay you through debit card. They also asked some strategic plans and suggestions. The other quant case is about the call center at capital one. You need to calculate the average call time per week, and also the transfer rate. As it moves on, it involves launching a training program and you need to recalculate the transfer rate. Remember to ask how long the program is expected to last. The interviewer will not give you any information unless you asked him. The behavioral interview only asks three "tell me about a time" questions, but with multiple follow-up questions. So make sure you are 100% clear about those scenarios and don't try to make up anything.

Here comes the job fit interview. It should be a "walk through your resume" type of interview, and you need to do some background research about cap1 and the team. It helps if you take some notes during the phone interview. Since my summer internship is closely related to what they do, I did a great job in the first three interviews. However, the last interviewer, the one who called me last time, said he has asked all the questions he's interested, and he would like to ask me a brain teaser. During the 30min, I was stuck by this problem because I have no preparation and past experience at all. He gave me some hints but kept interrupting me all the time. Every time I tried to think it by myself, he broke in and said that's not the most efficient way. At last he solved this problem for me and was curious how could a stats student fail to answer it. I didn't get the offer in the end, though I've done a good job in 6 of the 7 interviews, and just didn't get a brain teaser problem correct, which I believe is not a typical interview question for risk management. I guess I'm the only candidate at that day who was asked this brain teaser, and I felt it was unfair. You are telling me someone does not fit this role (remember it's a job fit interview) only because he/she cannot tease his/her brain?! That's interesting.

Anyway, good luck to the other applicants.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in November 2019.

Interview

1. HR sent me an email that they would like to have chat with me and know about my background. During the call only he set up an interview with the hiring manager. I had a nice 30 mins interview with the hiring manager where most of the questions were based on my internship and projects.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given the credit card portfolio how you would segment the portfolio to have similar risk exposures.
      2. Explain your Project that relates to this job profile?
      3. What did you learn from your last internship?   Answer Question