Capital One Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

online exam followed by phone screen and four face to face interviews. the interviews include technical and behavioral. The questions involve deep dive of the topics mentioned in the resume

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Seattle, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied online for a position in Seattle, got a response from a recruiter that a hiring manager will be calling for a 30 mins technical interview related to my professional experience. I followed the DevExchange engineering blog by CapitalOne developers and was excited to talk about some of the challenging problems I had solved related to their domain. I looked up hiring manager's profile and he seems to be around technology for a long time and he also worked as a tech lead at a software giant before joining Capital one, naturally I had high expectations on the depth of problem we were going to solve. So, here's how the call went:

"Hello, I have X number of questions that I'm just going to read" and he just did that, no introductions, nothing about the opportunity or team. All very basic class vs interface type questions, JavaScript, AWS and SQL questions. I think I answered about 90% of them and try to explain why I don't remember some of the answers on top of my head. I guess he was expecting 100% exact answers that he was looking for.

I was hoping he would at least be professional and leave some time for answering any questions that I had about product, company, technology, etc.. but nope just said Good Bye and hung up. Not sure how he went on to become a manager, may be I'm missing something here but I'm glad I wasn't selected to next rounds to waste each other's time.

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in November 2017.

Interview

I was introduced to Capital One through a recruiter. Overall it was a wonderful process, very professional thought at times they definitely kept me waiting. From first conversation to offer letter was approximately 5 months.

I went through a total of 6 interviews, in addition to various discussions as well. My final and 6th interview was the "power day" where I went on-site at McLean for 2 behavioral and 2 job fit/technical rounds.

The interviews became increasingly more specific, the first 3 focused on general information and career pursuits/passion etc. After my 3rd interview I was given the option to complete an untimed take-home assignment. Upon completion I was scheduled a 4th interview with 2 engineers, talking about technologies and preferences. 5th was with my team lead, and 6th on-site.

My on-site visit was very pleasant, beautiful office, friendly staff. There were 4 interviews, each approximately 40 minutes. The 2 behavioral interviews were fun and typical STAR format questions. The 2 job fit/technical rounds were whiteboard challenges with difficulties similar to the easier problems in CTCI.

I told a few hours after the on-site that I got the job, from there negotiated compensation package, background check, then onboarding.

It was a very rewarding experience, the compensation package is competitive but DO YOUR RESEARCH so you can negotiate properly. I recommend ramit sethi youtube vids.

Interview Questions

• Given a "command" object, which contains one of 3 possible function types(add, delete, undo), an int length, and str char. Implement a function to parse commands and take appropriate actions on a string.   Answer Question
    • Given a string, implement a function to determine if it has matching/balanced brackets.   Answer Question
    • Given a set of endpoints, implement a REST api on a node server(take home test).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone screen, then on-site. 2 behavior, 2 technical. I like the fact that the company puts emphasis on technology. I like the people I met. However, the senior software engineer who interviewed me asked me some ridiculous questions such as "what is servlet concurrency model", "what is jersey concurrency model". I was completely confused. I've never heard of such questions before. He asked me to write a program in go, one sends message, one receives message. I was also confused. I asked him whether he wanted me to write one program or two programs and then he said write in event model. I completely got lost. Does he really understand how channel works in Go? He then asked me about RabbitMQ, He asked me how do you handle transaction in rabbitMQ, I said there's no transaction in rabbitMQ, then he said how do you use JMS with RabbitMQ. I was confused. It's like he really wanted me to use JMS with RabbitMQ. It's obvious he's never used RabbitMQ before. Why would I want to use JMS if I pick RabbitMQ? I was rejected because he gave negative feedback. Some careless people could ruin your chance!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

it was first telephonic for an hour, followed by onsite interview.
    Onsite interview includes 2 behavioral rounds and 2 technical rounds.
    behavioral round focuses on a multiple questions on work challenge from the past, how you deal with it (action), what difference it made (result)

Interview Questions

• sample behavioral questions include
      technical hurdle you faced, how you overcame it?
      differences with your peer/manager, how it was sorted out etc.

technical interview was focused on latest continuous integration, cloud, multi threading etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

Since I was interviewed by Capital One earlier and they had my online test report already, they scheduled me for one hour technical telephonic interview. After that, four hour onsite interview with 2 behavioral, one technical and one job fit. Since they were looking for a full stack developer I was interviewed more around different technologies, language and my view on DevOps.

Over all, it was a great experience and for folks who think they were talking to a robot, I would say that the interviewers do pay full attention to what a candidate is saying except that they do not make eye contact very often as they have to make notes about candidate's answers in to their online system for later group review.

Interview Questions

• 1. What all technologies I have worked so far?
      2. My view on DevOps.
      3. Was given a small program to write in my preferred language?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Couple of culture fit interviews followed by 4 technical interviews. Asked about experience, algorithms, scenario based questions, mostly asked on past experience and talked about the company. Talked about roles and how I will fit in.

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Vienna, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied Online. The whole process took about a month, HR follow up call, Coding test followed by a phone screen and an onsite power day which consisted of 4 1-1 interviews. Two of them were technical while the others were behavioral(be prepared to write code in the behavioral rounds as well). The whole interview process was really good and very well organized.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in October 2016.

Interview

I spoke on the phone with a hiring manager. I then did approximately five hours of interviews on site with the manager and various technical folks. The questions were a mix of technical knowledge, whiteboarding, and behavioral. After the interview, I learned that the fit was not quite right, but the hiring manager and at least one of the technical interviewers referred my candidacy to two other groups within the company. I did a coding challenge for one of the other groups and met with both of them. Both groups made an excellent impression, and I ended up accepting an offer from one of them. Overall a great experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you code the solution to this problem, and what is the run time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by Capital One's internal recruiter who found my profile on LinkedIn.

During the initial telephone interview, I was asked to write code in a chat session. I was asked to look at some apparently broken Perl code ( which really isn't broken ), and asked to critique it, and predict its behavior.

Later, during an in-person interview, I was hardly asked any technical questions at all. The interviewing strategy revolved around "behavioral interview questions", in the form: "Describe a situation from your experience, when...". I was asked to recall and describe various challenging situations I have faced, and how I handled them.

Interview Questions

• Q: Describe a situation when you had to break bad news to your manager. What did you do? How did it go? What would you have done differently?   Answer Question