Capital One Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 telephonic rounds, followed by,on campus interview day. (5 interviews on this day)
one on one and lunch with panel.
They have 2 behavioral, 2 technical and 1 introduction round.
Interviewers were friendly. they give good time to think on question. every interviewer also asked if you have questions. be prepared to ask questions as well.

Interview Questions

• basic software engineering questions. oops concept, sorting, summing up items of list.
    be prepared to write code on white board.   Answer Question
  • behavioral interview questions included as : When in your job, u had to convince someone?
    When did u face a situation of two competitive goals and how u worked on it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I applied for an Android developer position. Overall I found the interview to be one of the best I’ve gone through. I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. He asked me to submit my resume and a few days later I participated in a phone screen with him. He sent my resume to the hiring manager and the next day I was told that they wanted to setup a technical interview. I had the technical interview a week later. Their technical interview was a combination of rounds 2 (coding challenge) and 3 (technical conversation). I was told I did well in their technical interview and an in-person interview was set up two weeks later.

The in-person interview was in between easy and medium difficulty. There was four rounds. One was behavioral, one was pair-programming, one was a general business question/evaluate some code and the last was a rapid fire QA session. The pair-programming was a bit challenging because you had to learn their software on the fly but the interviewer I worked with was very informative and I was able to produce the desired result. I was asked a lot of questions during the QA session.

I left the interview confident and was surprised to hear that they were going to pass on my candidacy. They provided feedback for why they were passing and I appreciate that they left feedback.

Interview Questions

• The technical interview had me write code in java for whether a word was a palindrome and then whether parentheses were balanced.   Answer Question
    • The pair-programming question was about taking data they setup and displaying it on the emulator and then filtering the data.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter found me online. And persuaded me to apply. I am generally good with algorithms (I use them literally everyday)

There was an online tech interview with three questions, 90minutes to complete them. Nothing too hard, very familiar questions.
    I managed to complete them perfectly but for some reason I didn't advance to the next round.

PS: I've only posted the questions here because they are clearly looking for something more than the solutions, maybe coding style and other skills.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process had a telephone phase, followed by a code assignment on HackerRank and the last phase that was a full day of interviews.
    The HackerRank challenge was deplorably unsuited for the role offered. I'm told they are trying to improve though. It was of average complexity, consisted of 3 increasingly more difficult tasks and lasted 90 minutes.
    The face to face interview was composed of a pair programming challenge, a behavioural interview, CV-based questioning and an architectural interview (whiteboarding).
    The pair programming challenge was quite easy. The CV-based questioning was intense in that it was an honest effort to find the edge of my knowledge based on the experience stated in the resume.
    The architecture part is easy to fail if the candidate doesn't have enough experience in conceptualizing a system.
    What got me burned was the behavioural part. Google for it to see what I mean. It's all sorts of situational questions which will either leave you scrambling to remember such a situation in your experience or thinking of whether or not to make something up. I found that part stressful.

However the most disturbing part for me was what the recruiter told me afterwards when delivering the "it was a tough decision but we have to say no" speech. It was a hypocrite talk with phrases like "everyone who met you liked you very much, but we don't think you'll fit in the team", "we don't think you're right for the position now but we definitely want to keep you on file for the future", "we thank you for the time you took to interview with us and to make it not be a waste of time for you we'll shortly send you detailed feedback about the interview", "we don't think we'll be able to quench your thirst for learning new tech" even though on the phone they stated that there are many interesting avenues and technologies pursued at the moment in my engineering field.
    A few weeks later and after a few emails that never got answered I realize that their promise of detailed feedback was empty words.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Went to there Toronto office. Had 2 interviews scheduled, details are listed below:

- Technical interview
    2 Senior software engineers conducted the interview. They first reviewed the HackerRank coding challenge and discussed various improvements that could be done to my current code. Second half of the session was for me to showcase any code/architecture that I had written or developed and the outcome of the work. I took my laptop to showcase some of the volunteer projects I have been working on (Official work code is confidential so couldn't showcase that). They asked various questions regarding the frameworks / technologies I was using and relevant code snippets related to security, API's and unit testing that I had implemented. Overall they had a very professional approach and we discussed various topics along the way. Both developers seemed knowledgeable.

- Behavioral interview
    1 Person conducted the behavioral interview. He simply read the questions of a sheet of paper and constantly kept making notes without really making much eye contact.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions were typical like:
        - A piece of work that you have worked on / created that you are proud of
        - A situation where there was a conflict of interest between your team meates and how you
          resolved it
        - ... 1 more similar question   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed in a very small room...

The interview included 3 parts:

First 30 minutes was a review to my hackerrank assignment. The questions were about how to refactor the code to make it look better ans easier to test. Nothing challenging really..

Second 30 minutes: I presented a code that I implemented recently. I was surprised that they did not provide a projector. I hardly had any space to speak or present my code properly. I had to show them using my tiny laptop screen. To be honest, I have no idea what they were looking for. Anyway, they let me talk but didn't really ask any meaningful questions.

The third part was the behavioral interview. They asked classical behavioral questions that you expect in any interview.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Capital One (North York, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

Called by HR to do phone interview and explain my background and what I am looking for. Also provided the basic salary range and benefits offered by CapitalOne. This was followed by an online test where you had to solve a few problems in any language of your choice. Finally an onsite interview involving technical interview and behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. Write a function that returns the largest element in a list?
      2. Given two strings, write a program that efficiently finds the longest common subsequence.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Difficult and challenging but awesome interviewers and positive interview. The interview was not easy but no stress during the interview. It was a behavioral and technical interview but the questions were mostly a classic interview questions and on a right direction but with different expected answers.

Interview Questions

• Give a description about one situation that you resolved and help your team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2019.

Interview

HackerRank challenge then In person interview which includes Behavioral Assessment and Technical Assessment. Behavioral Assessment asks specific questions about your professional experiences and Technical Assessment reviews your HackerRank results and asks you to present a demo of work.

Didn't get an offer. Don't really know why. I thought I did well. Was given no explanation or feedback. Received generic email asking me to apply again in 6 months.