Capital One Statistician Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Statistician Interview Questions

3.1

68 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Interview

Difficult interview. Have case studies that have a lot to do with credit cards. Know the financial aspect, terms, etc. There's also a phone interview with someone from the department you apply for. Didn't do well with cases and didn't get offer for internship.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Referred by alumni, phone interviewed by a statistician, 10 minutes later the recruiter emailed me that I was moved to the next process on the next Monday, then on-site interviewed in Dallas, Tx. The on-site experience was not enjoyable, one of the interviewers was late for 10 minutes, another one was not very friendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

First round was phone interview, totally 5 questions, 4 of them were related to basic stat concepts but given in real world background. Got notice about the final round about three hours later. On-site was much harder than the first, more business focused rather than statistics.

Interview Questions

• P-value, Ci, missing value, fund raising.
      life insurance, credit card verification, flight delay, behavioral.   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

the interviewer started by talking about the internship, the responsibilities and duties, and possible promotions.
    then he started the techniques questions part. he asked about 5 big questions, all relevant to statistics. I would say at least mediate level of statistics. The easiest questions is to interpret a 95% confidence interval; while the hardest one is asking how to deal with a very large data, like what is your thought process and what techniques you might want to use. I did not get a feedback on my answers so i did not know whether my answer is correct or not.

Interview Questions

• linear regression models, detect of collinearity, and how to check and correct them.
      confidence interval.
      a case with 1000 predictors and half million observation, how you gonna deal with it.
      what is overfitting and how to detect over-fitting   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Two interviews, one with senior analyst, the other with manager. The interview process lasts 2 hours in total. They want to know more detail about the answers to the behavior questions. Also remember to use the star format when you answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• Just some behavior questions and a set of problem solving questions.   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Interview

A typical Capital One interview. Like most of the others who shared their experience here. After passing the phone/technical interview, I got an on-site interview. One behavioral, two cases, and one role play. Three behavioral questions: 1. tell me a time when you learned something new; 2. tell me a time when you had to get help from a coworker; 3. tell me a time when you persuaded someone to see things in your way. Cases are break-even analysis and some probability calculation. Role play is the flight delay problem. Interviewers were polite, but a bit distant. I didn't feel connected to them. I'm sure the feeling was mutual, as I didn't get the offer.

Interview Questions

• The case involving probability calculation was difficult. Be sure to review your probability theory before the on-site interview, although I don't see why it should determine the interview outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied online. After a week, I got an email and was requested to set up a technical phone screen with me. I talked with a senior statistician around 45 minutes, and he was a kind person. However, the voice quality of the phone interview was terrible. First, I was asked some basic statistics questions for example p-value,standard deviation, correlation, multicolinearity. After that, He asked me questions regarding logistic regression. Finally, the last application question was related to donation. I believe that I respond to questions properly except the last one.

Interview Questions

• The last application question was a little bit confusing. I did not really get what I was supposed to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

The on-site interview was divided into 4 parts. 1 Behavior interview, 1 Role play interview and 2 case interview. In the behavior interview, they will ask you "tell me a time when...". And they will send you a behavior question list prior to the interview so that you will have time to prepare. The cases are all about business questions even I was applying for a statistical modeling position. They still want you to be familiar with the business concepts.

Interview Questions

• The business cases are unexpected. I thought they would be statistical related. But unfortunitely they are all about business.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Houston, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

I am going to have a campus review soon and I will definitely share my experience but I truly need to check out the previous experience.

Interview Questions

• The questions are all about credit cards which is really hard for someone with no background in economy and finance like me.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Capital One has an extremely professional hiring process. In my case they set in advance the dates for every step in the hiring process. About one week later after the screening interview I received a notification requesting to fill out a profile in their website and pass a straightforward calculations test (read information from tables, calculate percentages, and so on...). Then I had an onsite interview in Richmond, VA. The bank pays for your roundtrip fare and one night at a hotel nearby.

The interview day consisted of four interviews, one hour each: two case interviews, one behavioral and one role-playing interview (I had to explain the results of an analysis to one statistician who pretended to only have a basic knowledge of regression). I also had lunch and was shown their Richmond campus. The offices are very nice, lots of open space and obviously a quiet place as most people is focused on their workstation. The interviewers, the HR manager and everybody else I met that day were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Case question about the credit card business. I was prepared, I did a lot of background reading on consumer lending, yet the question required me to think either as a delinquent customer or as a financial analyst for the bank. I'm neither one nor the other.   1 Answer