Capital One Statistician Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Capital One Statistician Interview Questions

3.1

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2015.

Interview

30 mins phone interview and almost technical questions. I was invited to tell about the project I have done before and ask some questions regarding this project. Also, my programming language level was asked. There were also some standard technical questions like p-value, overfitting, cross-validation.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Referred by alumni, phone interviewed by a statistician, 10 minutes later the recruiter emailed me that I was moved to the next process on the next Monday, then on-site interviewed in Dallas, Tx. The on-site experience was not enjoyable, one of the interviewers was late for 10 minutes, another one was not very friendly.

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2015.

Interview

The process took 3 months. I had two on-site interviews. The firs on-site was 1 hour: 30 minutes behavioural and 30 minutes a simple case studies about "building a new highway to control the traffic". The second on-site interview consisted of four parts: first one was a purely statistics discussion. The head os statistician gave me a case (flight problem) and asked me to analyze the graph, linear regression etc in about 15 minutes. Then we discussed my solution for 45 minutes. The second and third round was business case studies. Usual business case studies that you can find in any books. It was more towards credit card industry. The last round was behavioural interview.
    Once I was done, the head of statistics department asked me to stay longer. We chatted about experiment design, etc for about 20 minutes and another 10 minutes brain teaser questions. I was all happy after the interview and thought I would be offered the position. Three days after the interview, I got a call from the recruiter. She told me that I failed the behavioural interview and so they cannot move forward with me. I found Capital One staff very arrogant except two people: the head os statistics department and another interviewer.

Interview Questions

• How do you ad 1+2+3+...+100? Why Capital One? Tell me about yourself? Flight question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for this position. He was very nice and provided several useful tips for the on-site interview. The on-site interview went well. No difficult questions. They mainly focused on your analytical thinking, not what you already know about a specific problem. There were 4 interviewers. One of them asked behavioral questions.

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

Hiring through campus website. Got the first round interview 4 days after application. After the interview, wait 2-3 days to know the whether can be selected for the 2nd round interview. The second round interview is back-to-back interview without cases. A short case interview for about 20 minutes for the first round. Very similar to the one posted online as the example.

Interview Questions

• Case interview. Begin with simple introduction on yourself and ends up with questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

First round was phone interview, totally 5 questions, 4 of them were related to basic stat concepts but given in real world background. Got notice about the final round about three hours later. On-site was much harder than the first, more business focused rather than statistics.

Interview Questions

• P-value, Ci, missing value, fund raising.
      life insurance, credit card verification, flight delay, behavioral.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

First round was an easy phone interview, then three on site interviews. They invited me over after the phone interview. Two fo three on-site interviews were technical and one was personality test.

Interview Questions

• Things like interpreting output of a logistic regression   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

the interviewer started by talking about the internship, the responsibilities and duties, and possible promotions.
    then he started the techniques questions part. he asked about 5 big questions, all relevant to statistics. I would say at least mediate level of statistics. The easiest questions is to interpret a 95% confidence interval; while the hardest one is asking how to deal with a very large data, like what is your thought process and what techniques you might want to use. I did not get a feedback on my answers so i did not know whether my answer is correct or not.

Interview Questions

• linear regression models, detect of collinearity, and how to check and correct them.
      confidence interval.
      a case with 1000 predictors and half million observation, how you gonna deal with it.
      what is overfitting and how to detect over-fitting
      Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

They first ask you to do the self introduction, then they will ask you some real life based definition questions. You need answer them based on the situations. They ask you some basic statistics concepts in the example. Finally they will also ask you to choose a model to solve the problems.

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

Received a email to schedule a phone interview about 2 weeks after I submit my resume.
    The phone interview last about half an hour. Firstly, talk about some details about your own project experience. Then some basic statistics concept questions. Then a business case.
    Receive a email about the interview results the very next day.

Interview Questions

• Explain some basic concept to a client who does not have much statistics background. p-value, confidence interval, and multicollinearity.   Answer Question
    • If a university want to raise money and their budget is 1 million dollars. What should they do?   Answer Question