Capital One Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Capital One Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 18, 2017

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Nice interviewee and good case study interview, although I didn't get an offer. The case is based on their normal daily task, simple but complicated like all real world questions.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Capital One (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied through an university career fair and I interviewed in June 2017. The interviewer was really nice and friendly. He introduced me his job and experiences at Capital One. One case study of credit cards was given. I was asked to do some break even calculations and come up some ideas to improve the product. Although I was not given an offer, a staff emailed me and gave me some feedback from the interviewer.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)).

Interview

After 3 months of my Graduate Data Scientist job application, I was contacted by the HR of capital one for a telephonic interview with the manager. HR was very polite and was informed by her that in first telephonic interview will be with the manager, and I will be given a case study and will be asked about my statistics and machine learning experience during PhD and Postdoc.

The manager call for the interview, and she introduced herself and she went straight to a case study regarding a dataset of 120 transactions/week with 150 attributes (variables) and was asked, steps for building a model? How to impute the missing value? How to find outliers? Answering these questions went well. And, finally, I was asked which model I would choose for this dataset and in which statistical computing language I would use? I answered these questions to best of knowledge of statistics. Next question I was asked was the syntax or command line in R to analyse the data. I gave the manager the list of packages which could be used in R. She was not satisfied. The interview was over after this question. It lasted 18 minutes. No programmer memorises the syntax!!! I was surprised why I am not asked about my previous experience in machine learning and statistics. Next day I received the review of the telephonic interview by an email from HR. She wrote that my CV had many machine learning and statistics techniques but when probed I only know regression, so my experience will not be useful. At first, I could not believe the review and for few minutes I kept reviving my previous day interview, I could not figure out why I got this review.

Give training on interviewing skills to your staff. How can I speak about my skills without being asked for? No developer or coder memorises syntaxes. Programming is a skill. It can only be demonstrated practically when given a chance. This type of question can only be asked some who have least experience in programming or perhaps run a single code all the time in his/her job.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I did online test and online video interview and then got invited to assessment day. The assessment day lasted for around 6 hours and there was 4 interviews in total - staff were friendly and the interview was not very difficult.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview I had was an online interview. I had 9 questions asked out of which 1 was a numerical problem to which I had to type the answer in.The interview roughly took around 40 minutes and ranged across questions from my interest for the post to understanding my analytical ability.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you faced a difficulty and how did you go about solving the problem?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

An intensive record video interview. 8 questions in total and 3min for each, quite long. I was told its a behavioural interview so I prepared a lot for questions like 'tell me about a time ......'. But they actually asked about a case and involved a little bit simple math.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions about why the company, why this role, your strenth
      Other than Apple Pay, how has technology been used by Capital One or its competitors (I stuck here)
      Tell me about a time when you developed a solution to a problem
      Read a case and answer questions like 'What proportion of users access the Capital One app with an iPhone?'
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

-Application Form & Online Tests
    Practice doing some tests online before taking these, quite difficult but with practice become much easier.

-Video Interview
    More generic questions, regarding stuff like tell me about a time when you were under pressure and had to deal with multiple deadlines, and generic interview questions

-Assessment Centre
    4 Stages including Presentation and questions about it, Strengths based interview, Case Study interview and answer questions around a case study (this was the one area of maths orientated questions and finally group exercise, where new information is fed to you throughout the task.

-Final Interview with VP/Senior Executive (COO)
    -If successful through rigorous assessment centre, final interview with a VP within Ops or with the Chief Operating officer, more about you, quite informal, but they are clearly looking for you to show your personality and make sure it fits with the culture of collaboration that they heavily pride themselves on and then you have a final data analysis test, which is pretty standard and shouldn't put you off

Overall an outstandinginterview process, with aspects that are both challenging and rewarding. The recruitment team, particularly Olwen the recruitment co-ordinator, make you feel very valued from the start and want to ensure the best outcomes for you. A very enriching process. Clearly an outstanding company who do the best they can to find the real personalities behind the people they want to employ.

Interview Questions

• Why Operations within a credit lending company is vital?
      What motivates me as an individual?
      What challenges do Capital One face at the moment and in the short term future?
      1 Answer

Negotiation

They rang me to say I had been offered the role, and the package including salary and other benefits is outstanding for a company that is not in London. Whilst you should always look to get the most you can from your negotiation, for a graduate role starting in Nottingham, this is the best package I have seen from any organisation.

Software Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in February 2017.

Interview

After submitting an initial application, I was invited to complete a coding test, which consisted of three tasks that required me to write a short program (<40 lines) for each. The tasks were to reverse an array, remove <script-disabled></script-disabled> tags from a paragraph of text, and to check whether a sequence of input credit card numbers were valid. You're free to open a separate browser window and look up anything you need to.

After passing the test, I was invited to complete a video interview, which took 30-40 minutes to complete. I was asked 7 questions in total, and given 3 minutes to prepare for, and then 3 minutes to answer each of them. I'm currently awaiting feedback.

Interview Questions

• Why Capital One, and why did you choose this scheme?   Answer Question
    • Describe a technology used by Capital One, or one of its competitors (they give the example of Android Pay).   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to use a new technology.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped a colleague, even though you did not have to.   Answer Question
    • What makes you stand out as a candidate?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Tests in mathematics verbal reasoning, recorded interview at home, group interview, individual interview both technical and attitude and then final interview wit senior management. The process was straightforward but the timings were very long, almost a month in between every round

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Nottingham, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

1. Online CV submission.
    2. Numerical and verbal tests.
    3. Video interview.
    4. Assessment day.
    5. Final interview.

The first two stages were pretty straightforward.

The video interview has standard behavioural questions. On top of those, there is a small/easy math problem that needs solving and explaining. Also, give a suggestion, e.g. how to improve the usage?

The assessment day consists of four different interviews: situational, group, product, and case interview. The situational interview gives quick questions that have no follow-ups. The group stage is based on discussing a recommendation and giving a presentation to interviewers. The product interview has itself three sub-stages: idea generation where you are asked to provide 10 improvements on a certain object; product analysis where you are asked to analyse the business model of a service/product with which you are familiar; and the improvement stage where you need to analyse whether the idea of 'Uber delivering office supplies' is viable. The case interview is more quantitative-heavy, and you need to know how to do break-even calculation, slopes, etc.

I was told that the final interview is also a case interview, which is similar to the one in the assessment day.

Interview Questions

• Why Capital One? Why this scheme? Technology other than Apple Pay?   Answer Question