CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received a call a week later. That call was one of the managers scheduling a phone interview for two days later. I had a phone interview which lasted about 35 minutes. The phone interview consisted of her asking about past employment and asking a few behavioral questions then told me about the position. I was then asked to come in for a face to face interview that Friday. The face to face interview was split into sections. First I met with the manager who had me do an online behavioral interview. Then two other managers came out to do the face to face interview which only consisted of situational questions asked by them both. After that another manager came and asked another set of situational questions then she offered me the job on the spot. I then did a oral drug test and signed paperwork and was told my start and orientation day. I was offered 12.60 an hour and the entire interview process was about an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interviewed with three separate managers none of which was the supervisor for intended department. Every question they asked was situational, generic and some were irrelevant to position applied too. I was pressured multiple times by multiple managers to consider a sales position.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax in May 2017.

Interview

Did the application online. Received a call the next day to do a phone interview. That lasted about 10 minutes. Received a call on a Friday to schedule an in person interview. Waited a week and went to the interview. It was scheduled at 3:30 pm. I got there at 3:15. First I waited for about 10-15 minutes. I did the online background interview. In total I had 3 interviews with three different managers. Basic situational questions. The whole interview process went good and I thought I would get the job. They sent me an email days later saying they are pursuing other candidates... Not what I expected since everything went well, imo. The whole interview took about 2.5 hours.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially a phone interview and if you pass a face to face interview with multiple managers. They asked the same questions in a slightly different way. They do drug testing on site. They also offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation   1 Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The interview process did not take long. First I had a phone interview and was told to come in. When I came it I think I did two interviews in one.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you had to do a lot of things and how you prioritized it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Charleston, SC) in February 2017.

Interview

It started with a brief 10 minute phone interview with the manager of the Business Office. He was really nice and said that he would get back to me in a day or two to set up a physical interview. His assistant called 10 minutes later and we set up a date and time for 2 days later at 2 p.m. on a Friday.

I showed up early so I could get the lay of the land. The assistant came to get me about 10 minutes after 2 p.m. She set me up in a little conference room with a brief online interview. It only took about 10 minutes and was basically questions about if I had ever done anything illegal. I went and told her I was done and she said she would be right in. She brought in a whole bunch of papers for me to sign OKing all the different background checks. She then said that a manager would be in to interview me. I waited about 10-15 minutes for him. A manager of another department came in and asked me a whole bunch situation questions like "How would you handle XYZ situation" or "Tell me about a time when you had to...." --- which I hate! So stressful! But, I did good! He said he would bring my file to the Manager of the Business Office (not sure why he didn't just do the whole interview himself since I would essentially be working for him or they could have done a panel interview. I waited 40 minutes for the Manager of the Business Office. I understand that this is a busy time of the year for them with people getting their tax refunds....but they were the ones that scheduled the interview at 2 p.m., so I feel that they should have been more prepared. (But, they were all VERY nice and apologetic about it.) So, he came in and asked me MORE of the behavioral-type questions. He said he would like to offer me a position for $11 per hour. I asked him to give me the weekend to think about it. I was there for 2-and-a-half hours. I think that is the longest interview I have ever had for the least amount of money I have ever been offered.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped a co-worker.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done in a short time-frame.   Answer Question
    • Tell me what you would do if you had 3 things to do and only had a short time to get all of those items done.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent situation where you had to take the lead.   Answer Question

The pay was too low....I thought it would be more pay for all the work listed on the job description and the hours (have to be available nights, weekends and holidays). If I was younger and just starting out...I would have took it. They were all very nice! I think I would have enjoyed working there.

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

The interview process was long but easy. I first took a background check which was pretty quick, then interviewed with operations manager who asked a few questions and then I interviewed with back office manager who also asked a few questions and I was then offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Carmax?   1 Answer
    • How have you gone above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. All they could offer was 11$.

Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (South Jordan, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

I filled out an application online and was contacted a few hours later. We set up a phone interview for a couple of days later. The phone interview lasted about 10 minutes and went over some basic things about the job, such as hours and pay rate. A few questions were asked, but not many. I was invited for a face to face interview the next week. That interview consisted of an online questionnaire (for background check purposes), then three additional interviews with different managers. They called the following day and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a good first impression. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Raleigh, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview first to rule out none qualified people, the second interview is in person. The second interview consists of interviewing with your to be the direct manager and another departments' manager, drug test, and background check initiates.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a conflict with a fellow co-worker and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online. I got a response immediatly via email. One day later I recieved a phone call to schedule a phone interview. We decided to interview right then while we were on the phone. Interview consisted of standard discovery questions about my history, experiences, and interest in the position. Phone interview lasted about 15 mins. The interviewer has invited me in for an in person interview scheduled for 1.5 weeks out.