CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 15, 2017

2.8

105 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Louisville, KY) in October 2017.

Interview

First I did a short interview by telephone, then went in later and took a brief online interview and then a face to face interview with a manager. Total time there was an hour.

Interview Questions

• Have you had to deal with any problems/conflicts at work in the past and if so what was it and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Go in sit with a few people and answer situation questions. After sitting for two different people they let you know whether you got the job right then and there.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember the exact question but it is those awful what would you do in this situation questions   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax in August 2017.

Interview

After applying, I recieved a phone interview. They then scheduled me to come in the next day for face to face interviews with two other managers, separately. Alot of background and behavioral questions. Really typical things.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to be a leader. And what was the outcome   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (San Diego, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Submitted online application, received phone interview, then was asked to come for in-person interview. I registered/completed online behavior/character questions. Originally, I was interviewing for an Inventory Associate position, but shortly after starting, the manager suggested that I would be better suited (and better pay) for the business office Associate position. I met with 3 other individuals (Assistsant Business Office Manager, Business Office Manager, and Management Assistant). The entire process took almost 4 hours (was initially told it would take about 2 hours, but I had to wait for individuals from another department). I took a drug test in the office. I was offered the job on the spot. I accepted the next day via email (previously discussed this with Management Assistant). It is here that I would like to STRESS that CarMax, or possibly just the Business Office, couldn't care less about your schedule. Flat out--they don't respect or honor it. There were several times during this hiring process where my schedule was brought up and made clear. I was reassured my schedule was fine and in fact, they had someone already working in that very department with my exact availability. When called for a phone interview, my availability was confirmed by the manager. When I first came in to the store and sat down to go over forms to sign, my schedule/ availability was again discussed and confirmed with a signature. During the in-person interview with the Business Office Manager, my availability and start date were discussed yet again and I was told it was not a problem. I even asked if training could be accomplished in the evening hours and was told "Yes" by the Management Assistant. CarMax had every opportunity to discuss training time constraints, and yet they failed at every step. I'll explain. After accepting the position, was asked to come in BEFORE my previously agreed upon start date and EARLIER than my availability allowed for. I kindly reminded the Management Assistant of my availability and she requested that I come in on my start date, but even EARLIER in the day. I kindly reminded her again my reason for not being able to do so (my availability DID NOT change throughout this entire process), stating that my husband would need to request time off from work again (he had to do this in order for me to attend the interview). In response to my return email, they simply and coldly stated that they "rescinded" their offer for employment with CarMax. Bottom line- if you don't have a completely open schedule (regardless of what they tell you, because THEY WILL insist you be available outside your previously agreed upon availability), outside support for childcare, and want to have any sense of respect or appreciation, DON'T apply to/attend an interview with CarMax. They made me feel as if I wasn't worth their time even before I stepped foot in the door for my first day of work. Imagine the repercussions had I already given notice to my current employer?!

Interview Questions

• How have/would you help to keep a coworker safe? Describe a time in which a customer was upset and what you did to address the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Virginia Beach, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called a week later to schedule an interview. I went to Carmax for the interview and filled out a short application. After, I had to answer a questionnaire online about scenarios and many questions on past drug use. Then I sat down with the manager and he asked me some questions and wrote down everything I said.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for carmax?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received a call a week later. That call was one of the managers scheduling a phone interview for two days later. I had a phone interview which lasted about 35 minutes. The phone interview consisted of her asking about past employment and asking a few behavioral questions then told me about the position. I was then asked to come in for a face to face interview that Friday. The face to face interview was split into sections. First I met with the manager who had me do an online behavioral interview. Then two other managers came out to do the face to face interview which only consisted of situational questions asked by them both. After that another manager came and asked another set of situational questions then she offered me the job on the spot. I then did a oral drug test and signed paperwork and was told my start and orientation day. I was offered 12.60 an hour and the entire interview process was about an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interviewed with three separate managers none of which was the supervisor for intended department. Every question they asked was situational, generic and some were irrelevant to position applied too. I was pressured multiple times by multiple managers to consider a sales position.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax in May 2017.

Interview

Did the application online. Received a call the next day to do a phone interview. That lasted about 10 minutes. Received a call on a Friday to schedule an in person interview. Waited a week and went to the interview. It was scheduled at 3:30 pm. I got there at 3:15. First I waited for about 10-15 minutes. I did the online background interview. In total I had 3 interviews with three different managers. Basic situational questions. The whole interview process went good and I thought I would get the job. They sent me an email days later saying they are pursuing other candidates... Not what I expected since everything went well, imo. The whole interview took about 2.5 hours.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Initially a phone interview and if you pass a face to face interview with multiple managers. They asked the same questions in a slightly different way. They do drug testing on site. They also offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult situation   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Charleston, SC) in February 2017.

Interview

It started with a brief 10 minute phone interview with the manager of the Business Office. He was really nice and said that he would get back to me in a day or two to set up a physical interview. His assistant called 10 minutes later and we set up a date and time for 2 days later at 2 p.m. on a Friday.

I showed up early so I could get the lay of the land. The assistant came to get me about 10 minutes after 2 p.m. She set me up in a little conference room with a brief online interview. It only took about 10 minutes and was basically questions about if I had ever done anything illegal. I went and told her I was done and she said she would be right in. She brought in a whole bunch of papers for me to sign OKing all the different background checks. She then said that a manager would be in to interview me. I waited about 10-15 minutes for him. A manager of another department came in and asked me a whole bunch situation questions like "How would you handle XYZ situation" or "Tell me about a time when you had to...." --- which I hate! So stressful! But, I did good! He said he would bring my file to the Manager of the Business Office (not sure why he didn't just do the whole interview himself since I would essentially be working for him or they could have done a panel interview. I waited 40 minutes for the Manager of the Business Office. I understand that this is a busy time of the year for them with people getting their tax refunds....but they were the ones that scheduled the interview at 2 p.m., so I feel that they should have been more prepared. (But, they were all VERY nice and apologetic about it.) So, he came in and asked me MORE of the behavioral-type questions. He said he would like to offer me a position for $11 per hour. I asked him to give me the weekend to think about it. I was there for 2-and-a-half hours. I think that is the longest interview I have ever had for the least amount of money I have ever been offered.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped a co-worker.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done in a short time-frame.   Answer Question
    • Tell me what you would do if you had 3 things to do and only had a short time to get all of those items done.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent situation where you had to take the lead.   Answer Question

The pay was too low....I thought it would be more pay for all the work listed on the job description and the hours (have to be available nights, weekends and holidays). If I was younger and just starting out...I would have took it. They were all very nice! I think I would have enjoyed working there.