CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2017

2.8

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The interview process did not take long. First I had a phone interview and was told to come in. When I came it I think I did two interviews in one.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you had to do a lot of things and how you prioritized it   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Charleston, SC) in February 2017.

Interview

It started with a brief 10 minute phone interview with the manager of the Business Office. He was really nice and said that he would get back to me in a day or two to set up a physical interview. His assistant called 10 minutes later and we set up a date and time for 2 days later at 2 p.m. on a Friday.

I showed up early so I could get the lay of the land. The assistant came to get me about 10 minutes after 2 p.m. She set me up in a little conference room with a brief online interview. It only took about 10 minutes and was basically questions about if I had ever done anything illegal. I went and told her I was done and she said she would be right in. She brought in a whole bunch of papers for me to sign OKing all the different background checks. She then said that a manager would be in to interview me. I waited about 10-15 minutes for him. A manager of another department came in and asked me a whole bunch situation questions like "How would you handle XYZ situation" or "Tell me about a time when you had to...." --- which I hate! So stressful! But, I did good! He said he would bring my file to the Manager of the Business Office (not sure why he didn't just do the whole interview himself since I would essentially be working for him or they could have done a panel interview. I waited 40 minutes for the Manager of the Business Office. I understand that this is a busy time of the year for them with people getting their tax refunds....but they were the ones that scheduled the interview at 2 p.m., so I feel that they should have been more prepared. (But, they were all VERY nice and apologetic about it.) So, he came in and asked me MORE of the behavioral-type questions. He said he would like to offer me a position for $11 per hour. I asked him to give me the weekend to think about it. I was there for 2-and-a-half hours. I think that is the longest interview I have ever had for the least amount of money I have ever been offered.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped a co-worker.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done in a short time-frame.   Answer Question
    • Tell me what you would do if you had 3 things to do and only had a short time to get all of those items done.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent situation where you had to take the lead.   Answer Question

The pay was too low....I thought it would be more pay for all the work listed on the job description and the hours (have to be available nights, weekends and holidays). If I was younger and just starting out...I would have took it. They were all very nice! I think I would have enjoyed working there.

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

The interview process was long but easy. I first took a background check which was pretty quick, then interviewed with operations manager who asked a few questions and then I interviewed with back office manager who also asked a few questions and I was then offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Carmax?   1 Answer
    • How have you gone above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. All they could offer was 11$.

Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (South Jordan, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

I filled out an application online and was contacted a few hours later. We set up a phone interview for a couple of days later. The phone interview lasted about 10 minutes and went over some basic things about the job, such as hours and pay rate. A few questions were asked, but not many. I was invited for a face to face interview the next week. That interview consisted of an online questionnaire (for background check purposes), then three additional interviews with different managers. They called the following day and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a good first impression. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Raleigh, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview first to rule out none qualified people, the second interview is in person. The second interview consists of interviewing with your to be the direct manager and another departments' manager, drug test, and background check initiates.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a conflict with a fellow co-worker and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Palmdale, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The reviews on Glassdoor were 100% correct. I went in and immediately had to go to the computer to fill out all the information for the background check. Then waited 30 minutes for a 2 person-panel interview and they asked me why did I leave other jobs, do I become bored with jobs easily? Very invasive questions that a company should not legally be asking during the interview...but what do you expect from a company that does an intense background check on you. Then I waited another 20 minutes for a 1:1 interview which I thought went really really well. The guy talked to other people and then told me "We will call you if we want you to come back" which means hey, thanks for applying but you didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer, what did you do to help them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online. I got a response immediatly via email. One day later I recieved a phone call to schedule a phone interview. We decided to interview right then while we were on the phone. Interview consisted of standard discovery questions about my history, experiences, and interest in the position. Phone interview lasted about 15 mins. The interviewer has invited me in for an in person interview scheduled for 1.5 weeks out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Norcross, GA) in December 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was very long and a few things were unnecessary.. The amount of paperwork they make you do is ridiculous, it's basically the same amount of paperwork any other company would make you sign if you've already received the job. It took them about a week to get back to me with their decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

First you get a phone interview, which is about 15 minutes. The first question was if I had any questions. If you do well, you'll get a face to face interview. I met 3 different managers during this interview. Also, there was an online interview then 2 separate face to face interviews. All in the sane day.

Interview Questions

• A lot of "tell me about a time..." questions. One specific one was "Tell me a time when you had to help a difficult customer"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax (Laurel, MD).

Interview

The interview process was pretty easy and straightforward. I was asked pretty standard questions that one would expect for a job interview, for example, describing past work experience and my ability to work in a team environment. I originally applied online, and someone from the company called me a few days later for an initial phone conversation, which basically consisted of just discussing some of the details in my resume. After that I was given a date for an in-person interview at the company. Upon completion of the in-person interview, I was offered the position.