CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 15, 2017

2.8

99 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Las Vegas, NV) in February 2013.

Interview

LONG. You'll wait at least 30 minutes before the first interview. You'll then spend another 3 hours interviewing with upper management. The good news is that you'll know on the spot whether you have the job or not.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Charleston, SC) in February 2017.

Interview

It started with a brief 10 minute phone interview with the manager of the Business Office. He was really nice and said that he would get back to me in a day or two to set up a physical interview. His assistant called 10 minutes later and we set up a date and time for 2 days later at 2 p.m. on a Friday.

I showed up early so I could get the lay of the land. The assistant came to get me about 10 minutes after 2 p.m. She set me up in a little conference room with a brief online interview. It only took about 10 minutes and was basically questions about if I had ever done anything illegal. I went and told her I was done and she said she would be right in. She brought in a whole bunch of papers for me to sign OKing all the different background checks. She then said that a manager would be in to interview me. I waited about 10-15 minutes for him. A manager of another department came in and asked me a whole bunch situation questions like "How would you handle XYZ situation" or "Tell me about a time when you had to...." --- which I hate! So stressful! But, I did good! He said he would bring my file to the Manager of the Business Office (not sure why he didn't just do the whole interview himself since I would essentially be working for him or they could have done a panel interview. I waited 40 minutes for the Manager of the Business Office. I understand that this is a busy time of the year for them with people getting their tax refunds....but they were the ones that scheduled the interview at 2 p.m., so I feel that they should have been more prepared. (But, they were all VERY nice and apologetic about it.) So, he came in and asked me MORE of the behavioral-type questions. He said he would like to offer me a position for $11 per hour. I asked him to give me the weekend to think about it. I was there for 2-and-a-half hours. I think that is the longest interview I have ever had for the least amount of money I have ever been offered.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped a co-worker.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done in a short time-frame.   Answer Question
    • Tell me what you would do if you had 3 things to do and only had a short time to get all of those items done.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent situation where you had to take the lead.   Answer Question

The pay was too low....I thought it would be more pay for all the work listed on the job description and the hours (have to be available nights, weekends and holidays). If I was younger and just starting out...I would have took it. They were all very nice! I think I would have enjoyed working there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Palmdale, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The reviews on Glassdoor were 100% correct. I went in and immediately had to go to the computer to fill out all the information for the background check. Then waited 30 minutes for a 2 person-panel interview and they asked me why did I leave other jobs, do I become bored with jobs easily? Very invasive questions that a company should not legally be asking during the interview...but what do you expect from a company that does an intense background check on you. Then I waited another 20 minutes for a 1:1 interview which I thought went really really well. The guy talked to other people and then told me "We will call you if we want you to come back" which means hey, thanks for applying but you didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer, what did you do to help them?   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CarMax in September 2015.

Interview

Phone interview andvthen in person. You will take a test going backm7 years about your personal habits. You will slso be asked ifbyou told any falsehoods on your application, as n if they are giving you a chance fpr redemption. They do VERY in depth research.

Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Fredericksburg, VA) in May 2011.

Interview

It's a lengthy process. After you submit an app it can take a few weeks to a month to get a phone call. You do a phone interview asking your basic info and a few scenario type questions. If you get past that they schedule you to come in. Then there's a questionnaire in store about previous experiences (been fired, used drugs, etc). After that you go into an interview with 1 or 2 managers (tell me about a time when...). If that one goes well there is a final interview that is similar to the last. If they don't offer at that time then you probably haven't got the job. You have to provide specific examples and not generalizations for your answers.

Interview Questions

• simetomes the rules aren't spelled out in black and white. Tell me about a time when you weren't sure if something you were doing was against the rules? What did you do?   1 Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interview process is long and can take a few hours if you are doing well in the interviews. Questionnaire in the beginning is typical for large corporations. Apply online this is the twentieth century! Basic questions for interviews just answer them and don't try to fake an answer and be genuine.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The actual process went pretty smooth. I applied back in October not expecting to hear anything back because of previous experience applying with them. Randomly I recieved a phone call from the manager assistant asking me if I was still interested and was wondering if I would want to set up a phone interview for the next day. I then had my phone I interview and when I passed that I had an in store interview. When I first arrived I had to fill out some paperwork and do an online assessment. This assessment asked me questions about crimes which not. I did this with the same person that set up my phone interview. After waiting for about 15 minutes I intervied with a manger and was asked a series of behavioral questions and typical why do you want to work here questions. Then I was interviewed by another manager in the same department and was asked another series of behavioral questions. Then the two managers went and talked for about 15 minutes and then I was offered the job. It was very nice the whole entire process but it did take longer than normal interviews so just be prepared.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate the pay seemed fair for the job.

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Greenville, SC) in October 2013.

Interview

I went through about 5 interview processes. The first one was at the store and done online. The second one was with the hr lady. The third one was with the manager of my specific department. The fourth one was with another manager of a completely different department. Finally, the last interview was with another supervisor in the same exact department that I would be working in. I would say all interviews were intense because they were not scripted and was mostly about the person being interviewed. If you go in interested and with lots of questions (I do mean alot, stupid or not) you have a great chance of moving on. They are looking for a family oriented, friendly, happy, focused and competitive type of individual and they really love hearing what you have to say. So, the more you talk, the more they listen, the bigger the chance there is for you being selected.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/a

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Had a phone interview first and then was invited in to the store. Interviewed by 4 people the same day all managers. Very thorough. Asked many questions about past work experience. Whole interview took about 3.5 hours. Was asked to do a drug test and offered a position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you were faced with a difficult time constraint and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview

Was contacted one week after submitting online application. Initial contact was friendly and brief - the woman I spoke with set up a next-day phone interview with me. After completing the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted within a week if they wanted to continue on with the process. I was contacted by the same woman two days later and asked to come in for an in-store interview (scheduled for after the weekend). The in-store interview was about 2 hours, half of which was spent waiting for interviewers. It started with a brief online interview questionnaire asking simple questions about my work/life history (drug use, jobs omitted on application, history of theft?). I was interviewed, first, by a gentleman from a different department (standard interview questions, What do you know about CarMax? along with incident questions). I was then interviewed by a couple of managers (many of the same questions) and told they would be in contact with me within the next couple of weeks. I was contacted the next day and scheduled to come back in for a follow-up interview (scheduled for next week). All staff members I encountered were friendly and hospitable.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected, difficult questions. However, when being asked "incident questions", like 'Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision in a quick manner...', they are looking for specific answers, nothing generalized.   Answer Question