CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 9, 2017

2.8

100 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Memphis, TN) in August 2016.

Interview

Quick turnaround. Phone interview day after filled out application. Interviewed with two people but it would have been more. The criminal background questions were kind of creepy. Never had a job ask if I were a rapist or drug dealer. There was waiting as others have stated. Everyone's comments are really actual.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Kennesaw, GA) in July 2016.

Interview

Process took about 2weeks. The questions were typical star format questions. Interviewers are very strict on how you answer the questions but tell you to be yourself. Make sure to research STAR format questions as well as think quickly on your feet. I was later emailed that I did not receive the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to go above and beyond for a customer.

Describe your strengths in 3 words

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Parker, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Parker, CO) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview was easy. Answer honestly. All questions are behavior/ situation questions. Tell me about a time when...? What did you do in this type of situation.....? Had a phone interview and they asked 4-5 questions. Very similar to questions in the face to face interview. Passes that and had an interview with 2 managers at the store and it took about 2 hours total. Got an offer on the spot and had to take a drug test right after the offer. There is also a questioner before the interview starts asking about criminal history. It only took a couple minutes to complete.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how did the situation turn out.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help a coworker.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stockbridge, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Stockbridge, GA).

Interview

Applied online. Received a call to do a phone screening. Passed that & set up an interview. Interview took at least 3 hours. Got interviewed by 6 different managers.. Literally.. With a waiting in b/t time of at least 20-35 min. They ask basic questions regarding pervious work experience & scenarios & are VERY detailed. So rely think before you speak. They also look for confidence. At the first interview, they also made me do a background & record check.. You can't have over 10 points on your license. Then they sent me on with my day & said that I should be expecting a call. Within a week, I received a call from ANOTHER manager who asked me more questions regarding my experiences & why I wanted to work for Carmax. Then she offered me to come in the store to get a fill for the job. I went in.. Did some observing & asked a few questions. Within 15 min., a manager offered me the position with my starting pay & performed a drug screening ON SITE. Once that was complete, told me to expect an email by the end of the week & they gave me my starting day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry/ difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Carmax   Answer Question
    • What experiences do you have that you can apply to this job   Answer Question

Negotiation

The long wait time in b/t the interview, but everyone was so pleasant & nice.

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (King of Prussia, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

Took about two hours total, in addition to interview with 3 different ppl, there was an assessment and a on-site drug test. Basic interview question in my opinion and there is a lot of emphasis on being truthful.

Interview Questions

• Get an example of a time you have to go above and beyond for a customer. Lots of situational type questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Lancaster, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process for me took about 3-4 hours. I was interviewed by 2 people before I was offered the job. I then had to take a drug test, and got to see the office once I was accepted. I really enjoyed my time there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you are interested in working for our company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Louisville, KY).

Interview

Spent a very long time waiting there, over an hour. Finally they took me to do a computer assessment. Then I waited some more. Then there was another computer assessment. Then they interviewed me. Much more concerned with my employment history and any gaps in it than the questions they asked and the answers I gave.

Anonymous Employee in Norton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Norton, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process is hard, but for good reason. First they set you up for a standard phone interview just to ask about prior work history and why you think you'd be a good fit for CarMax. If they like you they will immediately set up an in person interview. Be prepared for a long interview, the process lasts between 2-3 hours if you're doing well. You first sit down at a computer and answering some drug and felony questions. After that you have multiple interviews with all different people you'll be working for. All of the questions are in the "name a time you..." Format. You also must agree to a background, driving record, social security and credit check. And the drug test happens day of if they're interested in hiring. From what I've seen if you're hired they offer you the job right on the spot, if not they say you'll hear in a few days and email you.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

They were not entirely forthcoming about the way they schedule. Requiring a part-time employee to be available seven days a week, all day long, every week is not a good way to treat employees.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Columbus, OH) in September 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview before being called in for an in person interview. Phone interview was fairly simple, was about 15 minutes long. Be prepared to wait. Took a short computer assessment (do you do drugs, etc.), then waited for a guy to ask me about 3 or 4 questions. Waited a few minutes again until another guy asked me a few questions. One more time with the head of the actual Business Office with some more questions, after that he made the offer. The questions themselves were not especially hard, I thought I had prepared quite well but there were still a few I had trouble with. Definitely take a few days before the interview to remember some situations from your previous job and write them down so you can be reviewing them and have them fresh in your mind. Have questions to ask after (what is a typical day like, why is this position available, did someone quit, is there room for advancement, etc.).

Typical interview stuff, look them in the eyes, be confident, blah blah blah. Even the questions I had trouble with I tried to have a good, strong follow-up. It's an intimidating interview because you talk with so many people, but they were all nice and willing to talk back with you.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you showed leadership skills and how did it improve the work being done?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer, how did it end and was the costumer happy?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you took the initiative to learn something new at work.   1 Answer