CarMax Buyer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Buyer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Memphis, TN) in January 2017.

Interview

Very thorough process with multiple individuals. It was a very scripted interview. All questions were read from paper. Not very personal and was very cold.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax in January 2017.

Interview

Very friendly phone interview. They just asked some simple questions. Then gave me the chance to ask questions of my own. At the end of the interview i was told that i was going to be refered to the hiring team.

Interview Questions

• What were some of the skills of others that you have used to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (New York, NY).

Interview

3 interview process, 1 phone 2 in person meet with dept. managers, after done they said they would contact me in 5 days After all was done HR contacts you with results

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you used team work to solve a problem   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in January 2016.

Interview

Multiple interviews with managers. Performance based. It was slightly confusing trying to determine who was the hiring manager and what the roles of the other interviewers were. Starting the job and then being informed right away that you have to buy logo clothes for work was somewhat of a surprise.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond to help a customer.   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The interview will involve three stages. The first stage involves an interview from a senior manager from another department from the one you are applying for. Your next interview will have a senior manager from the buying department, that will repeat in a different format the same behavioral questions that you were just asked. Your final piece of the interview will be with the local GM who will decide if you should be hired or not.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you used teamwork to change a problem   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Be prepared to spend the majority of your day at the interview. It involves an online assessment to evaluate the candidate as a right fit for Carmax. The first interview is similar to a preliminary screening. Some positions require a emulation after that interview. The second (assuming you make it) will be follow up questions that the first interviewer was not totally satisfied with. The third (should you have one) is normally an interview with a senior manager. This will normally mean you are good to go. You will take a drug test on site.

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in February 2015.

Interview

Started with a phone interview from HR, asking a little about you, what you know about the company, and a few "tell me about a time..." questions mostly just to get a feel of who you are. The 2nd interview was in store and consisted of a couple of panel interviews with a lot more "tell me about a time..." questions. Everyone i spoke with was very nice and and welcoming. They want to know you're a good fit for CarMax so study up on the company and values.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to help someone with a tough decision and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2014.

Interview

Tough and long. I went through 5 rounds and it took half of my day. There several different test such as drug, competency, leadership, ect. long, long , long process

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

There was a lot of phone calls and scheduling for subsequent phone calls. The people were very nice and respectful of your time but they did require a lot of it. In person interview was fairly relaxed and casual, but also required a testing section on the computer and drug screening.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a lot about my prior experience and how i would relate it to the new position   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Boynton Beach, FL) in December 2013.

Interview

Use the SMART approach to answer every question. You need to give real life examples of problems and how you overcame them at your previous jobs. They look for a particular personality - friendly and social. Most people are with a few who somehow slipped through the cracks.

Interview Questions

• What was a problem at you last job that you overcame and how?   Answer Question