CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 20, 2017

3.1

Parts Supply Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aloha, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Aloha, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

Received a Phone call with no name only company name associated. Made Appt. for Monday 10 am. They never returned the call. Who calls for an interview with no name associated ? Then never call back. not someone I would want to work for.

Interview Questions

• Asked if I had time to speak them it was 6:45 PM.   1 Answer
    • I offered the next day he said he doesn't work weekends so he offered Monday at 10 am.   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

An assistant Manager has you fill-out brief information which includes social security number as they stand over you. This should be illegal as a persons social security number is more private than a password. Requesting to manager to look away as I placed my SS# upset the first assist. manager. CARMAX needs to teach their managers the legal facts of an applicants privacy act. I would not work for a company that does not respect a persons private information.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions with describe an accomplishment from previous job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (El Paso, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Over-the-phone interview went well, did an online interview at the store (clean background), had a second interview with the operations manager which also went well, but the third interview with the sales manager did not. I answered everything very well, but he acted like he had no interest from the moment I got there. He asked me 5 questions, then at the end said they'd be in touch. I was very taken aback. I was prepared to do a RolePlay, and I felt like he skipped it on purpose. All my work experience is commissioned sales for big companies, so I had the experience and my interview was the more than professional. I spent 3 days studying the company and practicing interviews. At least I'm prepared for the next interview elsewhere...

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer
    • How would you figure out what a customer is looking for in a car?   1 Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax in May 2017.

Interview

Did the application online. Received a call the next day to do a phone interview. That lasted about 10 minutes. Received a call on a Friday to schedule an in person interview. Waited a week and went to the interview. It was scheduled at 3:30 pm. I got there at 3:15. First I waited for about 10-15 minutes. I did the online background interview. In total I had 3 interviews with three different managers. Basic situational questions. The whole interview process went good and I thought I would get the job. They sent me an email days later saying they are pursuing other candidates... Not what I expected since everything went well, imo. The whole interview took about 2.5 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, next day had a call from CarMax. The guy on the phone was reading out questions and trying to write down the answers, looked lost but ended up on a positive note - invited to in-person interview. At the store I had to finish quiz with my previous experience, work relationship questions and crime history with drug use. After that a manager came over to go over my answers in writing form. Next comes another manager, had a quick interview with lots of questions to them. Been sent back and told I'll be contacted later. After I got back home I've sent a follow-up email to confirm the responsibilities and skills for the position and asked what the next steps would be. Next day got email saying that they've considered other candidates.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Applied online and got an email scheduling an online test two days later. It is about half an hour test, 18 questions in total, all about math. Not very hard if you took some basic statistical and math courses.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Interview

cold and impersonal hiring tests and assessments taken during the application process. The decision to move forward with a candidate is made not from an actual face-to-face meeting, where a solid assessment and case can be made by both parties, but by unscientific & generalized survey questions that take hours to complete.

Buyers Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Virginia Beach, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was escorted into an enclosed office, processed additional electronic forms and then was thoroughly questioned by two Carmax senior representatives for about 30 minutes. Much of the interview focused on issues related to my previous work but not a wit as to what I could bring to their operation. By halfway through the questioning, I felt that they simply opened a grave and I was the one left to shoveling the dirt over my own career. I left embarassed that I even had applied to Carmax for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your previous employer not knowing that doing so without "proper" notice would leave you forever unhirable with them?   1 Answer

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Juliet, TN

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Mount Juliet, TN) in March 2017.

Interview

Very long interview process. Phone interview first followed by a panel interview. They really delve into your past work. They go back seven years. They are supposed to do a background check and drug test. From past reviews I have read they do the drug test there but after my panel interview I never has the drug test. I think that was a bit of an indication that I was not going to be made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a problem you have encountered and how you dealt with it? What was the end result?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in March 2017.

Interview

HR initially emails with link to online assessment to take, which is quite similar to the IR portion of the GMAT (reading and interpreting information from charts/graphs). If you succeed on that, next step is phone interview with a manager in the department.
    The manager also has a business case quiz over the phone to begin the interview (which is a simple scenario based on inventory and processes at a fictional store), followed by a few behavioral type questions.
    The manager I spoke with was not in HR, and so wasn't a very strong interviewer. The questions were run-of-the-mill.

Interview Questions

• [During business case questions] What could the store do if the mix of available cars on the lot was thrown off?   Answer Question