CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Dec 9, 2017

341 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I was contacted by CarMax twice during a 5 month period, finally decided to go ahead and interview with them the second time around, as it appeared they were interested in hiring me. Phone interview at first, then in-person interview. Study the interview questions on here and you will be fine. No big surprises. Then came time for the "Car Sale" presentation. I thought I did "OK" (I wasn't expecting to do great) however they wanted me to comeback and do it again in a few days. I came back and did the Sales pitch again (this time I did much better, by all accounts) and they still didn't offer me a Job. Found that strange, perhaps I'm too old? Not sure, but a little perturbed by it, not that I really wanted to work their to begin with since it's 100% commission.

Also, they have no Finance department at the dealership, you are responsible for the entire car Sale from start to finish. You are the Salesman and the F & I guy. That said, you should be making a whole lot more then the supposed $35,000 their Sales Associates average.

Last but not least they do conduct a MASSIVE background check. They have you sign a waiver that lets them get ALL of your employment history from the Social Security Administration. They then have you sign another waiver that states you didn't lie about / omit any previous employers on your application (which I did). I signed it anyway - im not putting down a few of my old employers for any number of reasons.

What ever the case they can apparently find all of your old employers via the Social Security Administration, so just be aware of that.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to sell a product to someone who had no idea what the product was   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Louisville, KY) in October 2017.

Interview

First I did a short interview by telephone, then went in later and took a brief online interview and then a face to face interview with a manager. Total time there was an hour.

Interview Questions

• Have you had to deal with any problems/conflicts at work in the past and if so what was it and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Charleston, SC) in October 2017.

Interview

first interview was a phone call with the hiring manager. Was a typical structured interview, which I was glad to see. Gave me a better sense that they used good processes. The second is an in-person interview with the hiring manager and another associate.

(Business Analyst) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online and quickly received back an invitation to complete a timed online assessment. It consisted of basic math/stat question and analyzing graphs. A few weeks later, I had a phone interview that consisted of basic behavioral questions and a case study that was moderately challenging.

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in October 2017.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn and we had a preliminary phone interview. She said she would get back to me in a week or so regarding my status and if they wanted to move forward. She never got back to me and my follow-up emails went unanswered. I understand why decisions to move forward with other candidates need to be made. However, it reflects poorly upon an organization when people do not do what they say they will do.

Interview Questions

• Basic background questions to ensure I had the competency and skills to perform the job.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Charlottesville, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

I dropped the resume on the school's career website and got the interview. The interview was on the phone. No next step because I need sponsorship to work in the US. No more questions.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in September 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with Carmax in 2017 for an internship in Richmond, Virginia. I applied online and had to take and do well on an “exam” before the actual interview. The whole process took about 3 weeks.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Virginia Beach, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

They claim to be a company that trains associates to be car salesman, but if you have no experience then you wont get hired.. how does that make any sense? They asked the same questions just in different forms. It was a long interview with 3 to 4 sections and it was a complete waste of my time. They also DO NOT give VETERANS any type of consideration during the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you built rapport with a customer.   1 Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Augusta, GA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied on line on Monday, got a reply within 24 hours for a quick phone interview on Tuesday. Then scheduled another phone interview on Thursday. Then scheduled an in person interview on Friday. They told me to be there at 3pm. I showed up at 2:40 and they tried to say I was late. I showed them the email the sent me saying 3pm. I had to wait for the interviewing manager to come back. Completed a back round questionnaire on the computer, watched an video, and did a sale lab. Got an email the following Tuesday telling me they picked someone else.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how your previous work experience qualifies you for this position?   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Kennesaw, GA) in August 2017.

Interview

Very detailed and thorough process. Lots of tests (personality and basic knowledge) and panel interviews. Though they kept saying they'd respond "within 24 - 48 hours", each communication at each step took a week and a half. Did not get an offer, politely asked for feedback as to why (qualifications were met), the recruiter did not respond. Communication outside of the actual interviews was poor.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current employer.   1 Answer