CarMax Buyer's Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Buyer's Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2017

2.9

Buyer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I showed up to carmax. The process was about 3 hours. 6 different managers interviewed me. It seemed like every manager from each department had interviewed me. The interview was rarely easy. The atmosphere was not stressful. The managers were really nice. I was offered the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you were in a difficult situation. How was it handled?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Buyers Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Virginia Beach, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was escorted into an enclosed office, processed additional electronic forms and then was thoroughly questioned by two Carmax senior representatives for about 30 minutes. Much of the interview focused on issues related to my previous work but not a wit as to what I could bring to their operation. By halfway through the questioning, I felt that they simply opened a grave and I was the one left to shoveling the dirt over my own career. I left embarassed that I even had applied to Carmax for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your previous employer not knowing that doing so without "proper" notice would leave you forever unhirable with them?   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Basic behavioral questions. I was kind of guaranteed with the job because my friend from college put in a good word from the Sr. Manager at the time. They do two interview one is phone interview with the same behavioral questions and then the second interview with more Sr. Managers. Overall it was an average interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had a conflict with a coworker?
      How long do you see yourself in the company?
      Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Palmdale, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview was a pretty simple interview, got asked about certain scenarios, and got interviewed by 3 employees. The interviewers made me feel very comfortable. I got offered the job on the stop.

Interview Questions

• tell us about a time where you face a difficult situation and didn't know how to handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

I completed the online application and several days later received a phone call to set up an in person interview at the store with the opening. I was given two days notice which left plenty of time to fit into my schedule. Upon arrival I completed a short online program with info for background check. The interview followed in one of the showroom sales booths. I was interviewed one on one with a senior buyer for over one hour. Upon completion of the interview we both agreed that I was over qualified for the position and should continue applying for another CarMax opening.

Interview Questions

• The questions were generally directed at how you have handled out of the ordinary situations in the past, usually with a client that had a problem with something or with a conflict with another employee.   Answer Question

Buyers Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Columbus, OH) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process is ridiculous. My overall process was over 2 hours (unpaid of course). I met with 4 different managers. First, you start off by filing out an online background check and various questions about past employers and what not. They seem to make it feel like they will find out everyone of your past employers, even if you don't tell them, because of the background check- so be honest. Then, I met with a sales manager. He verified information, ASKED WHY I HAD PREVIOUS JOBS I DIDN'T TELL THEM ABOUT, and asked me basic questions about my past. After that, I then met one of my soon to be supervisors. He asked questions that I will outline below. They are questions that most people probably make up answers to. Then, I met with the top dog of my department who proceeded to ask me the same questions the previous guy did. They offered the job on the spot. YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO TAKE A DRUG TEST ON THE SPOT, IN HOUSE. After this was done, I met with someone who was called the mangers assistant. She took care of start dates and times, and other administrative tasks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was called the next day to set up in person interview. I show up and they put me in front of a computer to input my social security number and then answer a few questions regarding being arrested, dui, etc. The office assistant then prints out your resume and has you sign it along with permission to order a background check of your previous employers, state aid assistance, driving, and education. There were probably 8 pages of waivers to sign before the interview. I waited about 10 minutes and was called to interview with two buyers. I was told via the phone that I would be interviewing with one. The interview is very robotic. The interviewers do not ask any of their own questions or anything about your specific training, skills, or experience. They read from a script and then write down your answers. The majority was describe a time when you were stressed, what's challenging, or when you were in a difficult situation. There was nothing specific to the job in which I was interviewing. They were nice people, but the interaction was something that could have been done online. There is no personalization, nor is there any range or depth from the interviewers. One person asks a question, looks at the other person, the second person looks at the script, then asks their question. And round and round it goes. There were approximately 8 questions. Again, they were very nice but the interview could have been better if they were not reading directly from the script and continuously writing. I'm sure they could have added something significant if they were given the freedom to do so.

This job was described to me as 90% taking pictures and being outside. One of the interviewers did say that he started in this position because "there was nothing else available." I did ask how each of them got started with the company. This job would be more closely described as a lot attendant and not so much on the purchasing side. The buyer assistant position would be great for a high schooler, early college student, or one without any work experience.

The main reason for the negative overall experience rating was that I should never have been interviewed for this position based on my experience level or been rerouted to another available position. I, like others, don't like to waste valuable time. My resume suggests that I am not a fit for this position. The multiple waivers and impersonal interview were a miss for me. However, it seems to fit their factory assembly line style business approach.

A few days later I received this "Do not Reply" email:

"Thank you for taking the time to interview with us for the Buyer Assistant position at CarMax. We have had a chance to carefully review your skills and qualifications for the position.

While your background is notable, regrettably we need to let you know that we have decided to pursue other candidates for the position at this time.

We appreciate your time and thank you for your interest in CarMax."

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult person   Answer Question

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online which took about 40 minutes. Then, I waited for a week and a half to get a call to set up a phone interview for the next day at 2pm. So 2 oclock came and I waited about 20 minutes for the phone interview, interviewer gave some excuse for calling me late. The interviewer seemed really sketched out that i left my last job witjhout having another lined up and felt the need to scrutinize every detail about it. The interviewer asked about 10 "behavioral interview questions" I played along with this game for about 25 minutes and at the end he told me the pay was $10.75 an hour and that they try to keep buyer's assistants at 36-40 hours. Coming from a job that payed 11.75 an hour, I had to resist the urge to tell the guy to pound sand for wasting my time asking all sorts of stupid hypothetical questions. Dont waste your time applying here. Even if I had gotten a face to face interview I feel I would have to jump through even more hoops.

Interview Questions

• When do you feel it is ok to bend the rules?   1 Answer

Buyer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Sort of a ridiculous interview for what ended up being a 10.50/hr offer. Had two interviews, one with two senior buyers who were very nice, then one more with a senior buyer and a buyer assistant. Both pairs of interviewers commented about the interview process length, so they know its crazy. Seemed like a good work environment, but poor pay.

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interviewed by four buyers, process overall took about 1 hour. Took about a week to get a call,interview, and offer. The interview process was done by most of the people who would be on my team.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions, what is one of your strengths/weaknesses/   Answer Question