CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

Parts Supply Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aloha, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Aloha, OR) in May 2017.

Interview

Received a Phone call with no name only company name associated. Made Appt. for Monday 10 am. They never returned the call. Who calls for an interview with no name associated ? Then never call back. not someone I would want to work for.

Interview Questions

• Asked if I had time to speak them it was 6:45 PM.   1 Answer
    • I offered the next day he said he doesn't work weekends so he offered Monday at 10 am.   1 Answer

Business Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Greenville, SC) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview. In person interview took over 3 hours. Interviewed by 3 people. The time involved to interview applicants is unessasry. The interview process gives a fictional outcome.

Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (New York, NY).

Interview

Lengthy online application, quick phone interview, another online application in person, followed by face to face interviews with managers. Be prepared to sign off on having every single piece of your history pulled from different government agencies. They want to know every single job you've held in last 7 years, amount of time unemployed, if you're eligible for rehire, and they will check everything. If one piece is missing or doesn't add up, you are automatically disqualified. All traffic tickets count against you on a point scale (10 points is automatic disqualification), and you better remember every address you've lived at as well as the exact length of time at each. They also pull your credit history. The actual interview is of average difficulty and not very hard in my opinion - it is the background checks that make it difficult. It's hard to remember every single thing from the last 7 years.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for carmax? Did you leave any jobs off of your resume and if so why? Why did you leave each job you've had in the last 7 years? What did you do at each job? Describe a time when you worked as a team to accomplish a goal?
      They want specific examples using the STAR method (explained on their website)
      Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pineville, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Pineville, NC).

Interview

Online Application is like 2 hours long which is ridiculous. Phone Interview pretty easy and fast. Basic questions like why do you want to work here. Got invited for a face to face interview. They are extra picky. Make sure you study questions like tell me a time when....it was just ridiculous. Everyone was nice. Except one sales manager was laughing because I wasn't prepared for those type of questions like tell me a time when you got someone to buy something that was wasn't going to buy. I never been asked though questions before. I didn't get the job bc they said they would follow up and are revising other candidates. My honest opinion, I think it was too much just for a car sales position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you sold something to a customer who didn't want to purchase the item. How did you build rapport?   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Las Vegas, NV) in February 2013.

Interview

LONG. You'll wait at least 30 minutes before the first interview. You'll then spend another 3 hours interviewing with upper management. The good news is that you'll know on the spot whether you have the job or not.

Master Mechanic Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Takes 4 weeks to start making money after they say they might hire you. You sit infront of a computer for 2 weeks straight 8 hrs a day to do online training. They do this because they dpnt want an actual human getting paid to do this. You're supposed to remember a million procedures and rules by taking may many tests everyday. Then then they train you for your mechainc job for 4 weeks by throwing out trash, cleaning floors, kissing butt to managers and more old cheesy tests and training videos on computers. Then clean the shop more, then they also teach you and force you to do 1-2 hours of UNPAID WORK EVERYDAY. Then do it all over again everyday. If you dont believe me then go apply there.

Buyer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Jackson, MS) in December 2015.

Interview

Very long and interesting interview, with many different types of questions asked. Took all of two hours and did not get the job. This position does not lead to buyer in training. Enjoyed the interview but this was not the job for me.

Interview Questions

• Specific time when you help a coworker in their personal life.   Answer Question

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in March 2012.

Interview

There was an on-campus case interview, followed by online quantitative & personality assessments. I was then asked to come in to the office for an interview day, during which I took additional tests and had around 5 interviews with management. Around 3 of those were case interviews.

Interview Questions

• Suppose you are on a game show where there are 100 envelopes, each containing an unknown amount of money. You may open as many envelopes as you like, but your prize will be the amount in the final one you open (you can't go back). What is the best strategy for winning this game?   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Applied online. Was called for phone interview, then had an additional three interviews at the carmax location around 9am with several hiring managers. They ask pre screen questions during the phone interview and ask almost the same exact questions at the location which seems strange.

Interview Questions

• Basic things like why do you want to work here and what would a former supervisor say about you if we called them. The interview process is way too long for no more than they are offering for this position ($9.50 and $10.50 for second shift). I was declined the job by email and didn't even receive a phone call so that should tell you what to expect if you do get hired here so best of luck. The job was described as nothing short of hectic.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

apply online, receive a phone interview, then an in-store interview with a sales manager. afterwards, there is a roleplay where you will pretend to be a sales consultant and you will have to sell a car to an employee who is pretending to be a customer while a manager watches you and takes notes. afterwards there is another interview similar to the first but with just a different manager

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you made a recommendation to someone, they objected, and you overcame the objection and persuaded them to take your recommendation   Answer Question