CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Puyallup, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online which took about an hour, includes a personality quiz. The next day I received a call from the office requesting to set up an interview. Called back and was offered an interview within the next two days. Interview started 15 minutes late due to MOD being busy.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions such as "Describe a time in which you had to make a sale to a client, describe how you made the sale and what challenges you faced."   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Very lengthy and test driven, but interviewers were very polite and guided through the entire process. Initial callback took a while but everything had to get filtered through corporate first, at least that is what I was told

received better offer elswhere

Summer Analyst Intern Interview

Interview

Met a few representatives at career fair, was encouraged over email to apply. Went to first round interview on campus, which consisted both of a behavioral and case interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had to solve an analytic problem, and the approach you took.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very long and drawn out, the people were like robots.

Bad atmosphere.

Operations Manager Interview

Interview

very lengthy process that enables the company to get a great understanding of who it is they are hiring. This helps weed out associates with poor work ethic and gain positive associates who are driven for success.

Interview Questions

• not very difficult questions but they are all competency based   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiating

Automotive Sales Consultant Interview

Interview

I filled up online application through their website. They called me very next day and set up an appointment for phone interview with one of their manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Carmax?   1 Answer

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The interview asked me about my background. He also asked me what makes a good leader and examples of a time when I was one.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The initial screening interview was quite easy, with only a few personality-based questions and a tree transversal problem that I solved in Java. The interviewers were thrilled with my responses, and told me they would most likely contact me for another interview.

Several days later, I received a 300-question personality test to complete online. I believe I was rejected on the basis of my personality test, which suggests they place more credence on the formalized corporate hiring process.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite programming language, and what would you change about it.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Interview

Phone interview after applying through university website. Very friendly and mostly behavioral with a case question. The Human Resources representative as well as the interviewer were very pleasant to work with. I fumbled through parts of the case, but not because it was overly difficult. It was simply a question about probability and expected outcome.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Going through process now. 1)do online questions, ran into some server issues on their end (2)brief phone interview, most likely to hear how you speak to people, (3)been invited back for an in person interview next week, and will post more after I do so. The manager I spoke with on the phone was cordial.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult, but be prepared to answer with top two reasons why you are applying to Carmax   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Expect to be there for several hours as about 5 different people will interview you and lengthy wait times between each questionnaire.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, CarMax doesn't negotiate anything. Position is 100% commission