CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Puyallup, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online which took about an hour, includes a personality quiz. The next day I received a call from the office requesting to set up an interview. Called back and was offered an interview within the next two days. Interview started 15 minutes late due to MOD being busy.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions such as "Describe a time in which you had to make a sale to a client, describe how you made the sale and what challenges you faced."   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Grand Rapids, MI) in July 2017.

Interview

phone interview that took about fifteen minutes. Asked very general questions about yourself and why you applied for carmax. At the end of the interview they asked If I had any questions for them.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your strengths?   1 Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CarMax in June 2016.

Interview

Interview was pretty simple. They're looking for specific scenarios and someone who is trainable. My interview took about 4 hours because I met with different managers which then resulted in me getting hired on the spot!

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at CarMax (Saint Paul, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, in store test, background info, one on one with sales manager, short video, conduct a mock sale and sell a car to either a sales Mentor or another manager, sit down and do a one on one with the location general manager, then drug test and background check. Once those come back you get to start the month long training process.

Inventory Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Duarte, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Duarte, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Pretty basic questions nothing to hard just have common sense, try to seem certain and follow thru with what you say, don't hesitate. be confident as well, make it seem like you know what your talking about when you really don't know what your talking about.

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (San Diego, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

After you apply you'll receive a call from the Managers Assistant to schedule a phone interview. If you make to through to phone interview , they will invite you to do a on site interview.You come in and do some identity verification online. Then you met with a couple of managers. If they're interested they invite you to a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to go above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

FT Early Collections Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I had applied for the job on a Saturday. Received an email the following Thursday for an in person interview. When you get there, BEFORE you get interviewed, you have to fill out paperwork and do online questionnaires/assessments and whatnot. This in itself was a bit off to me and was unnecessarily time consuming. Anyhow, they interview me. It went GREAT! I even had collections experience. The head guy I forget his name said that he was ready to push me forward for the next step in the hiring process. He said that I would hear something that day and if not the next. However, me being an honest person and all I told him afterwards about some charges that I HAD NOT EVEN BEEN CONVICTED OF on my record. He even asked me to explain what happened , so I did and he wrote it all down. I really regret doing that because I allowed for him to pass his own judgment on the situation. I asked him if it would affect his decision. He said no and that because I was honest about it they'd consider. Yeah right. Long story short, I did not hear anything later that day or the next or any other time. They didn't even email me to say that they don't want to move forward with me. The guy knew after I told him about the charges that he no longer wanted to hire me (my opinion). I didn't even bother calling them back because if the head of the center doesn't have the guts to say that he doesn't want to hire me because of something that I WAS NEVER CONVICTED of, I wouldn't want to work for them.

Manager Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CarMax (Kennesaw, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of an 8 hour day of panel interviews, roll play, and computer testing.

You start your day at 8:30 in the morning, updating your basic profile information for HR. You then move into a math/reasoning test on another computer. When that is complete the first panel interview begins with two directors, then another panel interview with Senior Managers. If that all goes well and they seem to like you, they then have your future counterparts take you to lunch. After returning from lunch you will sit down for a role play with two more senior managers and then complete your wonderful day with a mouth swab drug test.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a choice of two different paths and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Staff were very nice. Very long interview process total of 3 interviews and sales demonstration to complete the process. Compensation was not discussed until 3rd interview, after on site offer training would be provided for 6 weeks

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with warranty sales?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Savannah, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

asked about past job experiences and likeliness to want to work in commissions based environment. Questioned me on why I decided to switch from fast food to sales although both were customer service based. Also asked about my position and tasks for my previous employers.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you accepting a position that has its pay based solely on commission?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I applied online, then later had an interview over the phone with the manager of my department. At the end of that phone call, he invited me to an in person interview at their store, which I was expecting to be brief. However it was not, my interview was 2 hours, and I spoke to 5 different people, 4 of which interviewed me separately. First there was an online questionnaire. This lengthy process did get me comfortable with my surroundings. Then, after my last interview with the department manager, they made me an offer, and drug tested me through cotton swab.

Interview Questions

• When is the last time you did something daring?   1 Answer