CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

Business Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Greenville, SC) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview. In person interview took over 3 hours. Interviewed by 3 people. The time involved to interview applicants is unessasry. The interview process gives a fictional outcome.

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (South Jordan, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

I filled out an application online and was contacted a few hours later. We set up a phone interview for a couple of days later. The phone interview lasted about 10 minutes and went over some basic things about the job, such as hours and pay rate. A few questions were asked, but not many. I was invited for a face to face interview the next week. That interview consisted of an online questionnaire (for background check purposes), then three additional interviews with different managers. They called the following day and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a good first impression. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Raleigh, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview first to rule out none qualified people, the second interview is in person. The second interview consists of interviewing with your to be the direct manager and another departments' manager, drug test, and background check initiates.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a conflict with a fellow co-worker and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Basic online skills assessment (reading graphs, etc.) followed by a one-on-one on-campus interview with a very basic case study and some behavioral questions. Then a super day with 2 case interviews and one behavioral. One of the cases was very basic (some algebra, a question just to see if you can think logically) and the other was probabilistic and more advanced. It presented an unintuitive question and then they worked with you through the problem.

Interview Questions

• Things like tell me about a time you had to convince someone of your point of view.   Answer Question

Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (New York, NY).

Interview

Lengthy online application, quick phone interview, another online application in person, followed by face to face interviews with managers. Be prepared to sign off on having every single piece of your history pulled from different government agencies. They want to know every single job you've held in last 7 years, amount of time unemployed, if you're eligible for rehire, and they will check everything. If one piece is missing or doesn't add up, you are automatically disqualified. All traffic tickets count against you on a point scale (10 points is automatic disqualification), and you better remember every address you've lived at as well as the exact length of time at each. They also pull your credit history. The actual interview is of average difficulty and not very hard in my opinion - it is the background checks that make it difficult. It's hard to remember every single thing from the last 7 years.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for carmax? Did you leave any jobs off of your resume and if so why? Why did you leave each job you've had in the last 7 years? What did you do at each job? Describe a time when you worked as a team to accomplish a goal?
      They want specific examples using the STAR method (explained on their website)

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (New York, NY).

Interview

3 interview process, 1 phone 2 in person meet with dept. managers, after done they said they would contact me in 5 days After all was done HR contacts you with results

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you used team work to solve a problem   Answer Question

Business Analyst Rotational Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

Interview

Online Multiple Choice test followed by Phone Case interview. If you pass both of those you go to a super day at the company office in Richmond. There are a series of four interviews 2 behavioral and 2 case. One of the cases was pretty tricky unless you had a good sense of probability. Everyone is super nice. I would have considered it a positive experience either way.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to try hard to master something you weren't good at.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tolleson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Tolleson, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website at night and got a call the next morning asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly easy and consisted of me answering a few questions and receiving a lot of information on Carmax as a company. I was then asked to come in for a in person interview for the following day.

When I arrived I was asked to sit at a computer watch a video and then fill out a questionnaire asking background type questions (have you been fired from previous employer, have you had disciplinary action for being late, have you been convicted of...)

Once that was complete I sat with the manager and had a 1 on 1 interview. It was very straight forward. Each answer I gave was written down and it was clear they were looking for specific answers. Then I was asked to watch another video before doing a role play with one of the associates there. He pretended to be a customer and I showed him a sedan. After that was done we sat down and went over my performance on the role play and was asked how I felt I did. Then I was asked to wait for about 10 minutes before the manager returned offering me a position and asking me to take a saliva drug test. The interview was about 2 hours and the process overall took about 48 hours from applying to being offered a position.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?
      Tell me about a time you had to persuade a customer to purchase something,
      Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.
      Lots of Tell me about a time questions.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online, completed online personality test which is required to submit your application and takes over an hour, yet there's no information on this when you begin applying. When you're finished it doesn't tell you whether you passed or not. Apparently I did as I got a call from a manager a couple of days later and went through a 20-min phone assessment. "I'd like to get some info about you and after I do you'll have a chance to ask questions." This whole thing would be unnecessary if they disclosed salary at the start. $12/hour OR commission, whichever is greater ... I DIDN'T NEED TO TAKE AN HOUR LONG TEST AND A PHONE INTERROGATION TO BE NOT INTERESTED! But thanks for participating.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next job?
      What appeals to you about sales?
      Are you ok with working on commission?

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Boise, ID) in December 2016.

Interview

Very thorough including telephone, computer, and personal interviews. Several levels to work through before decision is made to either deny employment or continue through the process. Very nice people in all departments. Company has obviously built a great reputation for how it treats its employees. Disappointed in the outcome and did not feel that they were totally honest in how they evaluated potential employees.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been convicted of a crime including theft or fraud?   1 Answer