CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2017

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Applied online and got an email scheduling an online test two days later. It is about half an hour test, 18 questions in total, all about math. Not very hard if you took some basic statistical and math courses.

Buyer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I showed up to carmax. The process was about 3 hours. 6 different managers interviewed me. It seemed like every manager from each department had interviewed me. The interview was rarely easy. The atmosphere was not stressful. The managers were really nice. I was offered the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you were in a difficult situation. How was it handled?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Interview

cold and impersonal hiring tests and assessments taken during the application process. The decision to move forward with a candidate is made not from an actual face-to-face meeting, where a solid assessment and case can be made by both parties, but by unscientific & generalized survey questions that take hours to complete.

Buyers Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Virginia Beach, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was escorted into an enclosed office, processed additional electronic forms and then was thoroughly questioned by two Carmax senior representatives for about 30 minutes. Much of the interview focused on issues related to my previous work but not a wit as to what I could bring to their operation. By halfway through the questioning, I felt that they simply opened a grave and I was the one left to shoveling the dirt over my own career. I left embarassed that I even had applied to Carmax for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your previous employer not knowing that doing so without "proper" notice would leave you forever unhirable with them?   1 Answer

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Juliet, TN

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Mount Juliet, TN) in March 2017.

Interview

Very long interview process. Phone interview first followed by a panel interview. They really delve into your past work. They go back seven years. They are supposed to do a background check and drug test. From past reviews I have read they do the drug test there but after my panel interview I never has the drug test. I think that was a bit of an indication that I was not going to be made an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a problem you have encountered and how you dealt with it? What was the end result?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in March 2017.

Interview

HR initially emails with link to online assessment to take, which is quite similar to the IR portion of the GMAT (reading and interpreting information from charts/graphs). If you succeed on that, next step is phone interview with a manager in the department.
    The manager also has a business case quiz over the phone to begin the interview (which is a simple scenario based on inventory and processes at a fictional store), followed by a few behavioral type questions.
    The manager I spoke with was not in HR, and so wasn't a very strong interviewer. The questions were run-of-the-mill.

Interview Questions

• [During business case questions] What could the store do if the mix of available cars on the lot was thrown off?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax in March 2017.

Interview

It was a pretty good process, a lot of paper work, got drug tested then ended up role-playing selling a car. Multiple managers see you during the interview and ask you questions.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Staff were very nice. Very long interview process total of 3 interviews and sales demonstration to complete the process. Compensation was not discussed until 3rd interview, after on site offer training would be provided for 6 weeks

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with warranty sales?   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Basic behavioral questions. I was kind of guaranteed with the job because my friend from college put in a good word from the Sr. Manager at the time. They do two interview one is phone interview with the same behavioral questions and then the second interview with more Sr. Managers. Overall it was an average interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had a conflict with a coworker?
      How long do you see yourself in the company?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

expect to be there for hours, minimum 3 if you are chosen. if you are not job offered that day then you did not get the job. do not call and speak with manager after you applied, this means nothing. when doing a mock sale, make sure you ask the 'customer' their needs, situation, plans for current car, let them sit in it, ask questions and try and discover their situation. dont worry about selling a car, worry about learning all about your customer

Interview Questions

• when did you go above and beyond for a customer?   1 Answer