CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Dec 9, 2017

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I applied online, then later had an interview over the phone with the manager of my department. At the end of that phone call, he invited me to an in person interview at their store, which I was expecting to be brief. However it was not, my interview was 2 hours, and I spoke to 5 different people, 4 of which interviewed me separately. First there was an online questionnaire. This lengthy process did get me comfortable with my surroundings. Then, after my last interview with the department manager, they made me an offer, and drug tested me through cotton swab.

Interview Questions

• When is the last time you did something daring?   1 Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at CarMax (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

I went in for a part time sales consultant part time position. I was interviewed by a Buyer whohad been with company for 11 years. I have been selling cars for 5 years, got out of the industry and with a job I love, but was planning on doing some traveling so I applied at carmax because there's no such thing as a part time car salesman in a real dealership setting. After sitting down the Blake, I figured out real quick that most of the people at carmax have absolutely no clue how to actually sell cars. This guy couldn't even keep up with me when using car sales jargon, It was pretty sad. I was more qualified for his job then he was, yet the hours were far worse then a regular dealership, and as a salesman the profit margins aren't as great so you have to sell a lot of cars to make money. Carmax, can keep there job, I remain in my career field and enjoy my weekends off, and evening, I can't call somebody my boss, who clearly isn't capable of knowing all facets of the car sales process. Carmax is a joke.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous jobs   2 Answers

Auto Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Colorado Springs, CO) in July 2017.

Interview

Online Application Only, 3 hour interview. One on One interview with three separate people. Prepare yourself, have everything they ask of you to have for the interview and final employment. Be ready to learn!!!

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest situation that you have encountered at any work place?
      How do you deal with a difficult situation?
      What are your downfalls, in other words negative attributes.
      How to handle a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Vehicle Condition Assessor Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (El Paso, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, face to face interview, background check, one more face to face, and a drug test by mouth swab if selected. Used STAR format questions so be prepared to think of situations, tasks, assessments, and the result.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one time that you dealt with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Grand Rapids, MI) in July 2017.

Interview

phone interview that took about fifteen minutes. Asked very general questions about yourself and why you applied for carmax. At the end of the interview they asked If I had any questions for them.

Interview Questions

• What is one of your strengths?   1 Answer

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Palmdale, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview with recruiter. Basically confirming what was on the application. I'd hoped to learn more about the duties of the position, but she didn't have any additional information.

Interview Questions

• The shift would be xx:xx to xx:xx. Are you available during those hours?   1 Answer
    • When are you available for an in-person interview at the facility?   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Virginia Beach, VA) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was called a week later to schedule an interview. I went to Carmax for the interview and filled out a short application. After, I had to answer a questionnaire online about scenarios and many questions on past drug use. Then I sat down with the manager and he asked me some questions and wrote down everything I said.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for carmax?   1 Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received a call a week later. That call was one of the managers scheduling a phone interview for two days later. I had a phone interview which lasted about 35 minutes. The phone interview consisted of her asking about past employment and asking a few behavioral questions then told me about the position. I was then asked to come in for a face to face interview that Friday. The face to face interview was split into sections. First I met with the manager who had me do an online behavioral interview. Then two other managers came out to do the face to face interview which only consisted of situational questions asked by them both. After that another manager came and asked another set of situational questions then she offered me the job on the spot. I then did a oral drug test and signed paperwork and was told my start and orientation day. I was offered 12.60 an hour and the entire interview process was about an hour long.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Savannah, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

asked about past job experiences and likeliness to want to work in commissions based environment. Questioned me on why I decided to switch from fast food to sales although both were customer service based. Also asked about my position and tasks for my previous employers.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you accepting a position that has its pay based solely on commission?   1 Answer

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

Talked about previous job experience and a lot of how have you dealt in the past? type questions interview was from 2-4 pm. I got the job the same day after a phone interview the previous day.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with a hard decision at work the past year?   Answer Question