CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

Senior Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Kennesaw, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

Very lengthy. Begins with online application, then a personality test of approximately 300 questions, call from recruiter to schedule a telephone interview, telephone interview, in-person interview scheduled, interview for 6hrs in office along with an online assessment for an hour upon arrival, an employee will take you to lunch, extensive tell me about a time questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were faced with a difficult challenge at work   Answer Question

Business Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Greenville, SC) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview. In person interview took over 3 hours. Interviewed by 3 people. The time involved to interview applicants is unessasry. The interview process gives a fictional outcome.

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (South Jordan, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

I filled out an application online and was contacted a few hours later. We set up a phone interview for a couple of days later. The phone interview lasted about 10 minutes and went over some basic things about the job, such as hours and pay rate. A few questions were asked, but not many. I was invited for a face to face interview the next week. That interview consisted of an online questionnaire (for background check purposes), then three additional interviews with different managers. They called the following day and offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to make a good first impression. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Raleigh, NC) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview first to rule out none qualified people, the second interview is in person. The second interview consists of interviewing with your to be the direct manager and another departments' manager, drug test, and background check initiates.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a conflict with a fellow co-worker and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Detailer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Reno, NV) in January 2017.

Interview

Questions were sometimes weird. Like hard to answer on the spot. I felt as though it didn't go spectacular but I got an in person interview. It seemed as though my answers on the phone were very basic screening questions.

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in January 2017.

Interview

The entire process took 36 days! I applied online. Received phone interview about a week later. Kind of hard interview as the questions were open ended about previous workplace ("tell me about a time when you failed to implement a project in a previous job and what were the ramifications?) Phone interviewer was very polite. After the 35 min phone interview I got another in-store interview planned a week later for the store I applied to. The day before the interview the recruiter called and said the position was no longer available at the location I applied to but another location was available. While it was a 45 min commute, I was still up for it. I took a computer test, filled out paper work, had short interview followed by a interview with 2 senior buyers. They were friendly. The questions they ask can be found on glassdoor. I studied them for 3 days so I would be prepared. This interview process took 2.5 hours. The recruiter called me an hour later and told me how well I did on the interview and the 2 buyers had recommended me for the job. At this point I was told I would just have to talk to the senior buyer of another store on the phone as a formality and she would call me back.
    Received phone call later and said I would have to fully interview again at another store. So interviewed again a week later with the senior buyer, took another test, answered similar fairly difficult interview questions, and finally a drug test. The buyer told me how he was impressed with my answers and background. We joked a lot. I left thinking I got the job for sure. 3.5 hour interview.

This is where it turns unprofessional. The buyer I interviewed with said someone would get back to me in a few days. A week when't by and nothing. I sent a thank you email and asked about the status. No response. It took 13 days to get the robo-rejection email. 13 days!
    The entire process took 36 days and about 30 hours of my time.

Pro's:
    -I was told the position paid between $42-$50K/year with a $5k bump once you got promoted to buyer.
    -Job didn't seem hard.
    -It was not sales

Cons:
    -Crazy hours. You get 1.5 weekends off per month. Have a varying schedule. You might have to work till 10pm getting home at almost 11PM based on the predetermined schedule.

-The facility was run down and depressing. There were competitors picketing outside to buy your car cheaper than carmax would pay.

-It's retail-no work life balance

I won't be buying a car from carmax ever and will tell all my friends and family to steer clear of this place.

On a side note, the interviewer asked questions that are technically illegal. (Are you married? Do you have kids? Are you hispanic?)

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Basic online skills assessment (reading graphs, etc.) followed by a one-on-one on-campus interview with a very basic case study and some behavioral questions. Then a super day with 2 case interviews and one behavioral. One of the cases was very basic (some algebra, a question just to see if you can think logically) and the other was probabilistic and more advanced. It presented an unintuitive question and then they worked with you through the problem.

Interview Questions

• Things like tell me about a time you had to convince someone of your point of view.   Answer Question

Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (New York, NY).

Interview

Lengthy online application, quick phone interview, another online application in person, followed by face to face interviews with managers. Be prepared to sign off on having every single piece of your history pulled from different government agencies. They want to know every single job you've held in last 7 years, amount of time unemployed, if you're eligible for rehire, and they will check everything. If one piece is missing or doesn't add up, you are automatically disqualified. All traffic tickets count against you on a point scale (10 points is automatic disqualification), and you better remember every address you've lived at as well as the exact length of time at each. They also pull your credit history. The actual interview is of average difficulty and not very hard in my opinion - it is the background checks that make it difficult. It's hard to remember every single thing from the last 7 years.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for carmax? Did you leave any jobs off of your resume and if so why? Why did you leave each job you've had in the last 7 years? What did you do at each job? Describe a time when you worked as a team to accomplish a goal?
      They want specific examples using the STAR method (explained on their website)
      Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (New York, NY).

Interview

3 interview process, 1 phone 2 in person meet with dept. managers, after done they said they would contact me in 5 days After all was done HR contacts you with results

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you used team work to solve a problem   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tolleson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Tolleson, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website at night and got a call the next morning asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly easy and consisted of me answering a few questions and receiving a lot of information on Carmax as a company. I was then asked to come in for a in person interview for the following day.

When I arrived I was asked to sit at a computer watch a video and then fill out a questionnaire asking background type questions (have you been fired from previous employer, have you had disciplinary action for being late, have you been convicted of...)

Once that was complete I sat with the manager and had a 1 on 1 interview. It was very straight forward. Each answer I gave was written down and it was clear they were looking for specific answers. Then I was asked to watch another video before doing a role play with one of the associates there. He pretended to be a customer and I showed him a sedan. After that was done we sat down and went over my performance on the role play and was asked how I felt I did. Then I was asked to wait for about 10 minutes before the manager returned offering me a position and asking me to take a saliva drug test. The interview was about 2 hours and the process overall took about 48 hours from applying to being offered a position.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?
      Tell me about a time you had to persuade a customer to purchase something,
      Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.
      Lots of Tell me about a time questions.
      Answer Question