CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2017

Management Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Phone interviews first then invited in for 2 interviews . Final interview was the offer. Interviews took 5 hours . Met with multiple managers from different departments . Very long process with repetitive questions .

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX).

Interview

Very easy. Two interviews totaling an hr each. During the second, was hired and took drug test and had orientation the following day. Describe a time when...questions are pretty extensive so be prepared for that

Buyer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

I completed the online application and several days later received a phone call to set up an in person interview at the store with the opening. I was given two days notice which left plenty of time to fit into my schedule. Upon arrival I completed a short online program with info for background check. The interview followed in one of the showroom sales booths. I was interviewed one on one with a senior buyer for over one hour. Upon completion of the interview we both agreed that I was over qualified for the position and should continue applying for another CarMax opening.

Interview Questions

• The questions were generally directed at how you have handled out of the ordinary situations in the past, usually with a client that had a problem with something or with a conflict with another employee.   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in November 2016.

Interview

had me fill out background check papers then had 2 interview sessions all for them to tell me they decided to go with other candidates..why have me sign background papers with my ss number? waste of time.

Team Manager- Specialty Collections Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Marietta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and asked a bit about my previous experience and scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was conducted and I was asked to about scheduling another interview with a recruiting manager the next day. All seemed well after the interview with the recruiting manager and she said they would contact me the following Monday- "good or bad." I never got a single phone call.
    After a week, I contacted another recruiter via LinkedIn to find out what happened because I had tried multiple times to reach out to the recruiter I was working with. He promised to look into it as the recruiter I was working with was a contractor and was no longer with the company.
    He was poor at following up when he said he would. The system messed up my application, and I had to redo the entire thing because of it. Only to finally be contacted by the recruiting manager over 2 weeks after promised to be told that they have decided to go with other candidates.
    By this point, I had already made the decision to no go with the company because of the poor recruitment process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to settle a disagreement on you team.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Escondido, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Escondido, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I did a round robin type interview, roughly 3/4 different 2 panel of managers came in and asked me about my sales experience, and other types of jobs that I've worked.

Interview Questions

• Describe a incident that you had at work, and how did you handle it.   1 Answer
    • Since I didn't have sales experience, they asked me about my leadership skills   1 Answer

Sales Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

Very intense process, but you can see why they have some of the lowest turnover. They are looking for longevity in cadidates unlike most places where they get 3-4 years out of people. Started with online app and then personality assessment, phone nterview (1 hourish), online assessment which is a computer simulation and you record video response (2-4hours online) then in-person interview (4 hours) then a drug test (oral swab) I've heard nothing but amazing things about the company and culture and you can tell everyone loves working here. So I can appreciate the long interviewing process. Study up on situational questions regarding work history. Practice until your brain hurts :) "Tell me a time...."

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

2 phone interviews, a day onsite with 4 interviews. There was an initial math test with basic economics, and then behavioral phone interviews. The interview process made me want to work for the company, as every person I spoke to loved the company and their job.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have working with a group where you disagree with the rest of the group?   Answer Question

IT Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

CarMax nicely paid for travel to Richmond. I was interviewed by group of current Employees, the questions were mostly simple technical and behavioral questions. I didn't get a response for about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had a disagreement with a coworker/Teammate?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

First step is to take an online skills test, basic math problems and interpreting graphs, just understand percentage change and stuff like that, the practice problems are helpful. Next there's a phone interview, about an hour long, some very basic behavioral questions for the first part, nothing surprising. The bulk of the interview is a case problem that the interviewer works with you on. The problem isn't too complicated, algebra stuff mostly, but there are a lot of steps and the interviewer is very patient and helpful is you get stuck. I got the right answer on the problem but I must've required too much help or messed up on the behavioral questions because about a week later I got an email saying I would not be moving forward.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an analytical project you worked on recently   Answer Question