CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2017

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Basic behavioral questions. I was kind of guaranteed with the job because my friend from college put in a good word from the Sr. Manager at the time. They do two interview one is phone interview with the same behavioral questions and then the second interview with more Sr. Managers. Overall it was an average interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had a conflict with a coworker?
      How long do you see yourself in the company?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

expect to be there for hours, minimum 3 if you are chosen. if you are not job offered that day then you did not get the job. do not call and speak with manager after you applied, this means nothing. when doing a mock sale, make sure you ask the 'customer' their needs, situation, plans for current car, let them sit in it, ask questions and try and discover their situation. dont worry about selling a car, worry about learning all about your customer

Interview Questions

• when did you go above and beyond for a customer?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

You speak with a couple people, they will take anyone as people leave so quickly due to how they are treated. They tell you that only a few make the cut for working at CarMax. Everything with them is a sham.

Interview Questions

• How hard are you willing to work?   1 Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Charleston, SC) in February 2017.

Interview

It started with a brief 10 minute phone interview with the manager of the Business Office. He was really nice and said that he would get back to me in a day or two to set up a physical interview. His assistant called 10 minutes later and we set up a date and time for 2 days later at 2 p.m. on a Friday.

I showed up early so I could get the lay of the land. The assistant came to get me about 10 minutes after 2 p.m. She set me up in a little conference room with a brief online interview. It only took about 10 minutes and was basically questions about if I had ever done anything illegal. I went and told her I was done and she said she would be right in. She brought in a whole bunch of papers for me to sign OKing all the different background checks. She then said that a manager would be in to interview me. I waited about 10-15 minutes for him. A manager of another department came in and asked me a whole bunch situation questions like "How would you handle XYZ situation" or "Tell me about a time when you had to...." --- which I hate! So stressful! But, I did good! He said he would bring my file to the Manager of the Business Office (not sure why he didn't just do the whole interview himself since I would essentially be working for him or they could have done a panel interview. I waited 40 minutes for the Manager of the Business Office. I understand that this is a busy time of the year for them with people getting their tax refunds....but they were the ones that scheduled the interview at 2 p.m., so I feel that they should have been more prepared. (But, they were all VERY nice and apologetic about it.) So, he came in and asked me MORE of the behavioral-type questions. He said he would like to offer me a position for $11 per hour. I asked him to give me the weekend to think about it. I was there for 2-and-a-half hours. I think that is the longest interview I have ever had for the least amount of money I have ever been offered.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you helped a co-worker.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done in a short time-frame.   Answer Question
    • Tell me what you would do if you had 3 things to do and only had a short time to get all of those items done.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent situation where you had to take the lead.   Answer Question

The pay was too low....I thought it would be more pay for all the work listed on the job description and the hours (have to be available nights, weekends and holidays). If I was younger and just starting out...I would have took it. They were all very nice! I think I would have enjoyed working there.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The interview process did not take long. First I had a phone interview and was told to come in. When I came it I think I did two interviews in one.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you had to do a lot of things and how you prioritized it   Answer Question

Sale Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in February 2017.

Interview

Questionnaire on a computer followed by a small your followed by a interview with one manager. The guy interviewing me didn't even have the experience and it was his first time with the interview process. This company does not care about your experience. They expect you to know the car max experience. Then the role play outside. The girl that eas role playing with me made it very hard to sell her. There management is very flawed. Kinda glad they didn't give me the job. But what do you expect from a new location.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I started with an online recruiter. Then I interviewed with a LGM of the store I applied for. After this interview I interviewed with a RVP for the Los Angeles area. I was offered the position 3-4 days later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Took an online timed assessment that was challenging because of the time given but not impossible. I was contacted to do an on campus interview with a person. Interview started out with behavioral questions and finished with a case study that you and the interviewer walk through together. The case study is very math based.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your resume and analytical roles you've held.
      Short case study about how many cars a given CarMaz can have given certain rates of repairs and sales.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in February 2017.

Interview

Have a 25-minute online test with 8 questions for preparation, one week after submitting the resume online and at university's career fair. Get the link for the test by email.

Interview Questions

• calculate and compare some growth rates
      calculate cost and revenue in different currencies   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview first to an onsite interview. Onsite interview was case heavy. The behavioral interviews asked pretty straight forward quetion that are typical. There were no difficult questions.