CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview. It should last you about 15-20 min. But mine lasted about 35 min. Always have questions ready for them as well. He asked well rounded questions that applied to selling in general.

After the phone interview, they called me the ver next day to come in, in a week for the in person panel interview

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax (Laurel, MD).

Interview

The interview process was pretty easy and straightforward. I was asked pretty standard questions that one would expect for a job interview, for example, describing past work experience and my ability to work in a team environment. I originally applied online, and someone from the company called me a few days later for an initial phone conversation, which basically consisted of just discussing some of the details in my resume. After that I was given a date for an in-person interview at the company. Upon completion of the in-person interview, I was offered the position.

IT Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

Found them through a career fair and was invited to apply online. They started with a standard phone interview, about an hour long with technical and behavioral questions (technical questions were very basic, such as what is a variable or what is an array). Then, once I had passed that I was sent an online background check exam. After I completed that, I was invited to the home office where I had dinner with recruiters and 5 other applicants one evening, then interviewed with them for about half a day the next day. They will offer hotel accommodations if you need them. The half-day interview was evenly divided between interviewing and touring their office. We ate lunch in their cafeteria, toured the building and gym facilities, then went through two hour-long panel interviews (2 on 1), one behavioral involving role-plays and the other technical focusing HEAVILY on SQL and web development (this may have been due to my stressing web dev on my resume, but the SQL questions are definitely standard). If you don't know any SQL or haven't worked with databases at all, LEARN IT. Expect Object-Oriented Programming questions as well, but nothing too difficult. They reached out to me 2 days later with a job offer. Pay was above what I expected and good for the Richmond area, and definitely worth it given their incredibly flexible vacation policy and relaxed environment.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between the different types of JOINs in SQL, left/right and inner/outer?   Answer Question
    • Do scripting languages need to compile?   Answer Question

IT Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very pleasant. Paid mileage, hotel, food both days, etc. Everyone was very nice and every step of the way was very well laid out. 2 interviews, one behavioral and one technical on site after a phone interview. Campus is extremely nice and easy to get to. Made me feel comfortable very quickly.

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilbert, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Gilbert, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

Went in and sat down at a computer to take a "background check" quiz. They need your social security number right off the bat. The quiz asks if you've done illegal drugs, committed a murder or rape(can't make this stuff up) and you also need to provide your license number, and previous addresses. Afterwards, they ask you to sign a bunch of papers that basically will release all of your private information for review if necessary. The amount of time and effort preparing for this interview went out the window because it lasted 4 questions. The hiring manager was aware I didn't have experience in the field, I know this because I was recruited from Indeed and put through the phone screening process. I'm very frustrated with their lack of preparation and disregard of the applicant.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (East Haven, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

First interview over phone, got called to come in for second interview where I met with 4 sales managers, answered more questions on the computer and did a mock sale.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very lengthy process. Requires a phone interview then face to face. The phone interview is pretty simple n straight forward. The face to face is all situational questions n repetitive. Unnecessary to me

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to work un a team and what was the out come   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Lengthy, but expected, after all you will be given access to some very expensive cars. That's not even counting all the private information you will get from customers, S.S. #'s etc. First was the online application, short test. Second was a phone interview. Third was a long online test. (Then another call just to clarify what you stated on the online application LOL.) Last was the in person interview. On the day of the in person interview, bring driver’s license of course. Then they did a "Role playing" which entailed pretending to sell a car to one of the managers, which takes about (5-10 minutes) not hard, (just fake it till you make it.) Then another conversation with another manager, where they offer you the job. Then off to another room for the drug test, they give you a mouth swab and they send it to lab (no more peeing in a cup). Fill out authorization for background check. More forms to fill out etc. etc. My in person interview took about 3 hours. Dress nice but be in something that you can move around in for the role play (not too dressy), you can see on the Carmax website etc. that they dress very casual.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific time you sold a customer something that they were not sure about.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very informative. Interviewer used his time to ask questions as well as give interviewee opportunity to ask questions as well. They provided ample information about the company, the position, and the type of work it entails. Interviewer also gave plenty of time to go into detail abkut youe previous experience and how it fits what they are looking for.

Legal Secretary Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CarMax in September 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter; aptitude test on software knowledge; type short letter canceling an account then face-to-face interview with 2 members of the legal team, counsel and Sr. paralegal. Everything in the interview was standard, it was actually fun. I asked the panel questions, I thought it went really well.

Interview Questions

• Describe a conflict you had with a co-worker and how was it resolved? what was the overall outcome? Lessons learned?   Answer Question