CarMax Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2017

IT Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

CarMax nicely paid for travel to Richmond. I was interviewed by group of current Employees, the questions were mostly simple technical and behavioral questions. I didn't get a response for about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had a disagreement with a coworker/Teammate?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

First step is to take an online skills test, basic math problems and interpreting graphs, just understand percentage change and stuff like that, the practice problems are helpful. Next there's a phone interview, about an hour long, some very basic behavioral questions for the first part, nothing surprising. The bulk of the interview is a case problem that the interviewer works with you on. The problem isn't too complicated, algebra stuff mostly, but there are a lot of steps and the interviewer is very patient and helpful is you get stuck. I got the right answer on the problem but I must've required too much help or messed up on the behavioral questions because about a week later I got an email saying I would not be moving forward.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an analytical project you worked on recently   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

First you get a phone interview, which is about 15 minutes. The first question was if I had any questions. If you do well, you'll get a face to face interview. I met 3 different managers during this interview. Also, there was an online interview then 2 separate face to face interviews. All in the sane day.

Interview Questions

• A lot of "tell me about a time..." questions. One specific one was "Tell me a time when you had to help a difficult customer"   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview. It should last you about 15-20 min. But mine lasted about 35 min. Always have questions ready for them as well. He asked well rounded questions that applied to selling in general.

After the phone interview, they called me the ver next day to come in, in a week for the in person panel interview

Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax (Laurel, MD).

Interview

The interview process was pretty easy and straightforward. I was asked pretty standard questions that one would expect for a job interview, for example, describing past work experience and my ability to work in a team environment. I originally applied online, and someone from the company called me a few days later for an initial phone conversation, which basically consisted of just discussing some of the details in my resume. After that I was given a date for an in-person interview at the company. Upon completion of the in-person interview, I was offered the position.

IT Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

Found them through a career fair and was invited to apply online. They started with a standard phone interview, about an hour long with technical and behavioral questions (technical questions were very basic, such as what is a variable or what is an array). Then, once I had passed that I was sent an online background check exam. After I completed that, I was invited to the home office where I had dinner with recruiters and 5 other applicants one evening, then interviewed with them for about half a day the next day. They will offer hotel accommodations if you need them. The half-day interview was evenly divided between interviewing and touring their office. We ate lunch in their cafeteria, toured the building and gym facilities, then went through two hour-long panel interviews (2 on 1), one behavioral involving role-plays and the other technical focusing HEAVILY on SQL and web development (this may have been due to my stressing web dev on my resume, but the SQL questions are definitely standard). If you don't know any SQL or haven't worked with databases at all, LEARN IT. Expect Object-Oriented Programming questions as well, but nothing too difficult. They reached out to me 2 days later with a job offer. Pay was above what I expected and good for the Richmond area, and definitely worth it given their incredibly flexible vacation policy and relaxed environment.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between the different types of JOINs in SQL, left/right and inner/outer?   Answer Question
    • Do scripting languages need to compile?   Answer Question

IT Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very pleasant. Paid mileage, hotel, food both days, etc. Everyone was very nice and every step of the way was very well laid out. 2 interviews, one behavioral and one technical on site after a phone interview. Campus is extremely nice and easy to get to. Made me feel comfortable very quickly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilbert, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Gilbert, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

Went in and sat down at a computer to take a "background check" quiz. They need your social security number right off the bat. The quiz asks if you've done illegal drugs, committed a murder or rape(can't make this stuff up) and you also need to provide your license number, and previous addresses. Afterwards, they ask you to sign a bunch of papers that basically will release all of your private information for review if necessary. The amount of time and effort preparing for this interview went out the window because it lasted 4 questions. The hiring manager was aware I didn't have experience in the field, I know this because I was recruited from Indeed and put through the phone screening process. I'm very frustrated with their lack of preparation and disregard of the applicant.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (East Haven, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

First interview over phone, got called to come in for second interview where I met with 4 sales managers, answered more questions on the computer and did a mock sale.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very lengthy process. Requires a phone interview then face to face. The phone interview is pretty simple n straight forward. The face to face is all situational questions n repetitive. Unnecessary to me

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to work un a team and what was the out come   Answer Question