CarMax Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 9, 2018

2.9

70 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I was contacted by CarMax twice during a 5 month period, finally decided to go ahead and interview with them the second time around, as it appeared they were interested in hiring me. Phone interview at first, then in-person interview. Study the interview questions on here and you will be fine. No big surprises. Then came time for the "Car Sale" presentation. I thought I did "OK" (I wasn't expecting to do great) however they wanted me to comeback and do it again in a few days. I came back and did the Sales pitch again (this time I did much better, by all accounts) and they still didn't offer me a Job. Found that strange, perhaps I'm too old? Not sure, but a little perturbed by it, not that I really wanted to work their to begin with since it's 100% commission.

Also, they have no Finance department at the dealership, you are responsible for the entire car Sale from start to finish. You are the Salesman and the F & I guy. That said, you should be making a whole lot more then the supposed $35,000 their Sales Associates average.

Last but not least they do conduct a MASSIVE background check. They have you sign a waiver that lets them get ALL of your employment history from the Social Security Administration. They then have you sign another waiver that states you didn't lie about / omit any previous employers on your application (which I did). I signed it anyway - im not putting down a few of my old employers for any number of reasons.

What ever the case they can apparently find all of your old employers via the Social Security Administration, so just be aware of that.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to sell a product to someone who had no idea what the product was   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in October 2017.

Interview

Met with 2 people who did the average interview questions, and then had me go though a sales simulation to sell them a 2014 Toyota Rav4 to see if I was qualified to sell for them. I was there about 2 1/2 hours.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time where you had to make a difficult decision under pressure at your current or previous job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

expect to be there for hours, minimum 3 if you are chosen. if you are not job offered that day then you did not get the job. do not call and speak with manager after you applied, this means nothing. when doing a mock sale, make sure you ask the 'customer' their needs, situation, plans for current car, let them sit in it, ask questions and try and discover their situation. dont worry about selling a car, worry about learning all about your customer

Interview Questions

• when did you go above and beyond for a customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Orange, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

First a phone interview to go over your application. Next, I went to a store and met with 4 managers. They did not want to go over the pay plan with me! They said once hired HR would go over it with me! I kept pushing until they told me $150.00 per car. I said "What $150.00 per car? So if I Sell 16 Cars I make $2,400.00 Per Month?" They then gave me a line about selling extended warranties and making an additional $150.00 per car.

I told them if I don't get the position at the Movie Theater Selling Dogs I would maybe consider working for carmax.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you Sold a product to a customer that had no interest in your product.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Escondido, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Escondido, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I did a round robin type interview, roughly 3/4 different 2 panel of managers came in and asked me about my sales experience, and other types of jobs that I've worked.

Interview Questions

• Describe a incident that you had at work, and how did you handle it.   1 Answer
    • Since I didn't have sales experience, they asked me about my leadership skills   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Long and thorough. They really screen candidates to make sure they hire the best people. I had a phone interview, and two pannel interviews. All were roughly an hour or two long.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax in February 2016.

Interview

Complete a questionnaire, answer interview questions, role play a vehicle sale. It was fairly straightforward and everyone was pleasant. There are a lot of questions to answer. Two managers work together to question you.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to change a customers mind.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pineville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Pineville, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

I met with Ops Mgr. to review my resume and answer some basic background questions. (This meeting was not planned as the Sales Manager was late to work and they waited an hour before deciding to have me visit with the Ops Manager.) Eventually I met with the Sales Manager and Store Manager. It is a structured interview with each Mgr taking a turn to ask a question about selling situations. There are about 10 to 12 questions to be answered. They write down your answers as close to verbatim as possible. There are no follow up questions or responses from the interviewers. After waiting around 20 more minutes, there was a third interview with another Operations person. Questions similar to the selling scenarios that the Sales/Store Mgrs asked. After that interview and waiting around more time, there was a mock sales situation. It is a role play of being able to engage the customer, ask questions to qualify, answer their questions, and then close the sale. The Store Mgr asked, "What do you think went well about this role play?" And then followed up with you, "What do you think you missed?" After this portion, more waiting around....then a urine sample is given for a drug test. Then, after more waiting around, I spoke with the Sales Mgr again. At that time he showed the compensation plan to me and tried to use an assumptive close that I would take the job on the spot. This particular store seemed disorganized and not ready to interview me in a timely manner. Some of the process was repetitive.

This interview process took 5 hours! While CarMax has a structured interview process in place, there was a serious lack of respect of my time. At no point in the process did any CarMax employee give me an idea of with whom I would speak next or the amount of time the whole process would take. No updates during the process were given. I spent 5 hours in their building without once being asked if I wanted a break, a glass of water, or if I needed anything else.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time when you had a very difficult customer. What was the situation? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

I took the very lengthy pre employment screening test that took about 2 hours. I received a call 4 days later and the guy asked about my availability on Sundays. I advised I go to church on Sundays he advised me he would speak to his supervisor. Not even 30 seconds after I hang up I get a rejection email.

Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Gilbert, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

After completing basic background questions on computer application, interviewed with 2 sales managers, then conducted mock sale of car, then interviewed with general manager who gave me a cup to pee in right then and there.

Interview Questions

• Just the basics but be prepared with specific examples.   Answer Question