CarMax Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2017

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

expect to be there for hours, minimum 3 if you are chosen. if you are not job offered that day then you did not get the job. do not call and speak with manager after you applied, this means nothing. when doing a mock sale, make sure you ask the 'customer' their needs, situation, plans for current car, let them sit in it, ask questions and try and discover their situation. dont worry about selling a car, worry about learning all about your customer

Interview Questions

• when did you go above and beyond for a customer?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Escondido, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Escondido, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I did a round robin type interview, roughly 3/4 different 2 panel of managers came in and asked me about my sales experience, and other types of jobs that I've worked.

Interview Questions

• Describe a incident that you had at work, and how did you handle it.   1 Answer
    • Since I didn't have sales experience, they asked me about my leadership skills   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Long and thorough. They really screen candidates to make sure they hire the best people. I had a phone interview, and two pannel interviews. All were roughly an hour or two long.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax in February 2016.

Interview

Complete a questionnaire, answer interview questions, role play a vehicle sale. It was fairly straightforward and everyone was pleasant. There are a lot of questions to answer. Two managers work together to question you.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to change a customers mind.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pineville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Pineville, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

I met with Ops Mgr. to review my resume and answer some basic background questions. (This meeting was not planned as the Sales Manager was late to work and they waited an hour before deciding to have me visit with the Ops Manager.) Eventually I met with the Sales Manager and Store Manager. It is a structured interview with each Mgr taking a turn to ask a question about selling situations. There are about 10 to 12 questions to be answered. They write down your answers as close to verbatim as possible. There are no follow up questions or responses from the interviewers. After waiting around 20 more minutes, there was a third interview with another Operations person. Questions similar to the selling scenarios that the Sales/Store Mgrs asked. After that interview and waiting around more time, there was a mock sales situation. It is a role play of being able to engage the customer, ask questions to qualify, answer their questions, and then close the sale. The Store Mgr asked, "What do you think went well about this role play?" And then followed up with you, "What do you think you missed?" After this portion, more waiting around....then a urine sample is given for a drug test. Then, after more waiting around, I spoke with the Sales Mgr again. At that time he showed the compensation plan to me and tried to use an assumptive close that I would take the job on the spot. This particular store seemed disorganized and not ready to interview me in a timely manner. Some of the process was repetitive.

This interview process took 5 hours! While CarMax has a structured interview process in place, there was a serious lack of respect of my time. At no point in the process did any CarMax employee give me an idea of with whom I would speak next or the amount of time the whole process would take. No updates during the process were given. I spent 5 hours in their building without once being asked if I wanted a break, a glass of water, or if I needed anything else.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time when you had a very difficult customer. What was the situation? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

I took the very lengthy pre employment screening test that took about 2 hours. I received a call 4 days later and the guy asked about my availability on Sundays. I advised I go to church on Sundays he advised me he would speak to his supervisor. Not even 30 seconds after I hang up I get a rejection email.

Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Gilbert, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

After completing basic background questions on computer application, interviewed with 2 sales managers, then conducted mock sale of car, then interviewed with general manager who gave me a cup to pee in right then and there.

Interview Questions

• Just the basics but be prepared with specific examples.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Raleigh, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

It was quite tiring really. I felt the questions asked were repeated in many ways. I sometimes felt the interview was testing my endurance levels because it looked like it wasn't going to end and i was beginning to get irritated repeating the same thing.

Interview Questions

• What is your best asset how would that make you a good sales associate?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks and was my final interview (out of 2) I was in the office for about 3 hours. All in all, the interview process consisted of a phone interview, then proceeded to a face to face interview which was dense. When I say dence I mean it took forever and their were A LOT of steps involved. First they sit you down to do a questionnaire on a computer that has questions like, "have you been to jail?" or "what's your work history" ect. From there I sat with the hiring manager and that asked situational questions (used the STAR method) to gauge your ability to sell and be a helpful person. I was asked to do a drug test on the spot then was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Be specific and tell me about a time where you tried to sell something and the customer did not want your product or service. How did you bring back the sale?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Lancaster, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

First, online questionnaire. Then they call and arrange an in-person interview. Once you arrive there you complete more web forms. Then you're interviewed by two sales managers. After this you are asked to make a pretend sale. (They would have already sent you through email the particulars for this section). Once that is complete, you are finished.

Interview Questions

• One time that you had to promote your product or service to a client/customer.   Answer Question