CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Interview

cold and impersonal hiring tests and assessments taken during the application process. The decision to move forward with a candidate is made not from an actual face-to-face meeting, where a solid assessment and case can be made by both parties, but by unscientific & generalized survey questions that take hours to complete.

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Sale Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in February 2017.

Interview

Questionnaire on a computer followed by a small your followed by a interview with one manager. The guy interviewing me didn't even have the experience and it was his first time with the interview process. This company does not care about your experience. They expect you to know the car max experience. Then the role play outside. The girl that eas role playing with me made it very hard to sell her. There management is very flawed. Kinda glad they didn't give me the job. But what do you expect from a new location.

Anonymous Employee in Rio Rancho, NM

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Rio Rancho, NM).

Interview

The interview process was thorough. I received a phone call to set up a phone interview shortly after completing my application. The phone interview lasted roughly 20 minutes.
    After the phone interview I was contacted to set up an in person interview. The in person interview lasted 3 hours. There were several stages: first I completed an online questionnaire, next I met with a manager and discussed my resume, and confirmed the online questionnaire answers. Next I was interviewed by a sales manager, I was asked roughly 10 "tell me a time when..." questions and was shown a video on the mock sale process. Next I completed a mock sale, and was asked how I felt I did, and received feedback from the managers that were involved. Next I was interview by 2 more managers from the purchasing department, they asked me about my previous work experience and roughly 10 more "tell me a time" questions. This was the last interview for the day, and I was told I would be contacted after the managers discussed their notes with the LGM.
    About an hour later I revived a call to meet with the LGM the next day.
    At the LGM interview I was informed of the pay plan and benefits, and offered a position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tolleson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Tolleson, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website at night and got a call the next morning asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly easy and consisted of me answering a few questions and receiving a lot of information on Carmax as a company. I was then asked to come in for a in person interview for the following day.

When I arrived I was asked to sit at a computer watch a video and then fill out a questionnaire asking background type questions (have you been fired from previous employer, have you had disciplinary action for being late, have you been convicted of...)

Once that was complete I sat with the manager and had a 1 on 1 interview. It was very straight forward. Each answer I gave was written down and it was clear they were looking for specific answers. Then I was asked to watch another video before doing a role play with one of the associates there. He pretended to be a customer and I showed him a sedan. After that was done we sat down and went over my performance on the role play and was asked how I felt I did. Then I was asked to wait for about 10 minutes before the manager returned offering me a position and asking me to take a saliva drug test. The interview was about 2 hours and the process overall took about 48 hours from applying to being offered a position.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?
      Tell me about a time you had to persuade a customer to purchase something,
      Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.
      Lots of Tell me about a time questions.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Boise, ID) in December 2016.

Interview

Very thorough including telephone, computer, and personal interviews. Several levels to work through before decision is made to either deny employment or continue through the process. Very nice people in all departments. Company has obviously built a great reputation for how it treats its employees. Disappointed in the outcome and did not feel that they were totally honest in how they evaluated potential employees.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been convicted of a crime including theft or fraud?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Baton Rouge, LA) in December 2016.

Interview

You will have a over the phone interview followed by 3-4 in person interviews with different managers at location applied, 1 role play "sale a car" step. If they want you , they will offer you the position same day followed by drug test

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Tucson, AZ).

Interview

The interview process was ridiculously long it took just about 6 hours for the complete process at the time of hire they had me sit in the customer waiting area then from time to time they'd stop by and say "you can come back another day if you'd like" which I felt was completely unprofessional. However I stayed eager for a chance to speak with a manager finally an hour or so later I finally got greeted by one of the hiring managers and the process begun, if that manager likes you, you get sent back to the waiting area and the process repeats, after you meet with 3 managers from different departments another manager prepares you for a role play, if you pass the role play, all 3 managers interview you at the same time. One you pass you meet with the LGM and if they hire you you submit to an onsite urine test immediately once you do that you have the job.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to apply at Carmax?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX).

Interview

Very easy. Two interviews totaling an hr each. During the second, was hired and took drug test and had orientation the following day. Describe a time when...questions are pretty extensive so be prepared for that

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview. It should last you about 15-20 min. But mine lasted about 35 min. Always have questions ready for them as well. He asked well rounded questions that applied to selling in general.

After the phone interview, they called me the ver next day to come in, in a week for the in person panel interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (East Haven, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

First interview over phone, got called to come in for second interview where I met with 4 sales managers, answered more questions on the computer and did a mock sale.