CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2017

2.8

219 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very easy seamless. not hard at all for a sales position. whole interview takes a few hours. They make you do a sales exercise thats pretty easy as well. as long as you have good people skills and know something about sales you should be good.

Interview Questions

• they ask a lot of questions regarding integrity, teamwork, and your work ethic   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in November 2017.

Interview

Started with phone interview. Next was called in for in store interview. You answer some questions on a computer then sit down with a sales manager. Then you will either get a phone call or email the following Monday.

Interview Questions

• Why carmax?
      Name a time you had to complete two tasks simultaneously?
      Tell me a time when you went out of your way for a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Be prepared to role play showing a vehicle to a customer. You should be courteous, customer service oriented and ask questions. My interviewers asked typical questions like strengths, weaknesses and what I knew about the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Augusta, GA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied on line on Monday, got a reply within 24 hours for a quick phone interview on Tuesday. Then scheduled another phone interview on Thursday. Then scheduled an in person interview on Friday. They told me to be there at 3pm. I showed up at 2:40 and they tried to say I was late. I showed them the email the sent me saying 3pm. I had to wait for the interviewing manager to come back. Completed a back round questionnaire on the computer, watched an video, and did a sale lab. Got an email the following Tuesday telling me they picked someone else.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how your previous work experience qualifies you for this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at CarMax (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2017.

Interview

I went in for a part time sales consultant part time position. I was interviewed by a Buyer whohad been with company for 11 years. I have been selling cars for 5 years, got out of the industry and with a job I love, but was planning on doing some traveling so I applied at carmax because there's no such thing as a part time car salesman in a real dealership setting. After sitting down the Blake, I figured out real quick that most of the people at carmax have absolutely no clue how to actually sell cars. This guy couldn't even keep up with me when using car sales jargon, It was pretty sad. I was more qualified for his job then he was, yet the hours were far worse then a regular dealership, and as a salesman the profit margins aren't as great so you have to sell a lot of cars to make money. Carmax, can keep there job, I remain in my career field and enjoy my weekends off, and evening, I can't call somebody my boss, who clearly isn't capable of knowing all facets of the car sales process. Carmax is a joke.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous jobs   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Savannah, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

asked about past job experiences and likeliness to want to work in commissions based environment. Questioned me on why I decided to switch from fast food to sales although both were customer service based. Also asked about my position and tasks for my previous employers.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you accepting a position that has its pay based solely on commission?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Puyallup, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online which took about an hour, includes a personality quiz. The next day I received a call from the office requesting to set up an interview. Called back and was offered an interview within the next two days. Interview started 15 minutes late due to MOD being busy.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions such as "Describe a time in which you had to make a sale to a client, describe how you made the sale and what challenges you faced."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (El Paso, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Over-the-phone interview went well, did an online interview at the store (clean background), had a second interview with the operations manager which also went well, but the third interview with the sales manager did not. I answered everything very well, but he acted like he had no interest from the moment I got there. He asked me 5 questions, then at the end said they'd be in touch. I was very taken aback. I was prepared to do a RolePlay, and I felt like he skipped it on purpose. All my work experience is commissioned sales for big companies, so I had the experience and my interview was the more than professional. I spent 3 days studying the company and practicing interviews. At least I'm prepared for the next interview elsewhere...

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer
    • How would you figure out what a customer is looking for in a car?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Send in a resume plus took 1 hour to complete questionnaire on-line. Received a voicemail message next morning from them, I returned their call 1/2 hour later and left them a VM message. I didn't receive a call back until a week later, I was a little surprised by it. I agreed to schedule a phone interview with them the next day at 2:30pm but got a call at 1:15pm instead and the interviewer wanted to do it at that time so I was okay with it. After 20 minutes of interview questions the interviewer saids they will contact me in the next few days if they're going to proceed wlrh an in-person interview.
    I will not continue with the hiring process nor want to work for them in the future. They need to be a lot more organized, be professional and on time for their applicants, they also should have a more experienced interviewer to do the interview. I had to repeat myself multiple times that I was in sales for over 10 years (makes full commission) in the past and knows how to provide great customer services.
    In addition, the posting on the job site did not list anything about ithe job being 100% full commission, I got this information after doing some research. I'm looking for a job with base+commission since I already had a bad experience with a company that pays (commission only and no base). I explained to the interviewer that it's not going work for me if the job is a commission only job, the person neither confirm nor denied their pay structure. I said I don't want to waste their time if it's true but the person insisted to continue with the interview process anyway. What a waste of time!!!

Interview Questions

• Did you make commission in the past.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, next day had a call from CarMax. The guy on the phone was reading out questions and trying to write down the answers, looked lost but ended up on a positive note - invited to in-person interview. At the store I had to finish quiz with my previous experience, work relationship questions and crime history with drug use. After that a manager came over to go over my answers in writing form. Next comes another manager, had a quick interview with lots of questions to them. Been sent back and told I'll be contacted later. After I got back home I've sent a follow-up email to confirm the responsibilities and skills for the position and asked what the next steps would be. Next day got email saying that they've considered other candidates.