CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (El Paso, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Over-the-phone interview went well, did an online interview at the store (clean background), had a second interview with the operations manager which also went well, but the third interview with the sales manager did not. I answered everything very well, but he acted like he had no interest from the moment I got there. He asked me 5 questions, then at the end said they'd be in touch. I was very taken aback. I was prepared to do a RolePlay, and I felt like he skipped it on purpose. All my work experience is commissioned sales for big companies, so I had the experience and my interview was the more than professional. I spent 3 days studying the company and practicing interviews. At least I'm prepared for the next interview elsewhere...

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   1 Answer
  • How would you figure out what a customer is looking for in a car?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Send in a resume plus took 1 hour to complete questionnaire on-line. Received a voicemail message next morning from them, I returned their call 1/2 hour later and left them a VM message. I didn't receive a call back until a week later, I was a little surprised by it. I agreed to schedule a phone interview with them the next day at 2:30pm but got a call at 1:15pm instead and the interviewer wanted to do it at that time so I was okay with it. After 20 minutes of interview questions the interviewer saids they will contact me in the next few days if they're going to proceed wlrh an in-person interview.
    I will not continue with the hiring process nor want to work for them in the future. They need to be a lot more organized, be professional and on time for their applicants, they also should have a more experienced interviewer to do the interview. I had to repeat myself multiple times that I was in sales for over 10 years (makes full commission) in the past and knows how to provide great customer services.
    In addition, the posting on the job site did not list anything about ithe job being 100% full commission, I got this information after doing some research. I'm looking for a job with base+commission since I already had a bad experience with a company that pays (commission only and no base). I explained to the interviewer that it's not going work for me if the job is a commission only job, the person neither confirm nor denied their pay structure. I said I don't want to waste their time if it's true but the person insisted to continue with the interview process anyway. What a waste of time!!!

Interview Questions

• Did you make commission in the past.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, next day had a call from CarMax. The guy on the phone was reading out questions and trying to write down the answers, looked lost but ended up on a positive note - invited to in-person interview. At the store I had to finish quiz with my previous experience, work relationship questions and crime history with drug use. After that a manager came over to go over my answers in writing form. Next comes another manager, had a quick interview with lots of questions to them. Been sent back and told I'll be contacted later. After I got back home I've sent a follow-up email to confirm the responsibilities and skills for the position and asked what the next steps would be. Next day got email saying that they've considered other candidates.

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Puyallup, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online which took about an hour, includes a personality quiz. The next day I received a call from the office requesting to set up an interview. Called back and was offered an interview within the next two days. Interview started 15 minutes late due to MOD being busy.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions such as "Describe a time in which you had to make a sale to a client, describe how you made the sale and what challenges you faced."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Interview

cold and impersonal hiring tests and assessments taken during the application process. The decision to move forward with a candidate is made not from an actual face-to-face meeting, where a solid assessment and case can be made by both parties, but by unscientific & generalized survey questions that take hours to complete.

Sale Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in February 2017.

Interview

Questionnaire on a computer followed by a small your followed by a interview with one manager. The guy interviewing me didn't even have the experience and it was his first time with the interview process. This company does not care about your experience. They expect you to know the car max experience. Then the role play outside. The girl that eas role playing with me made it very hard to sell her. There management is very flawed. Kinda glad they didn't give me the job. But what do you expect from a new location.

Anonymous Employee in Rio Rancho, NM

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Rio Rancho, NM).

Interview

The interview process was thorough. I received a phone call to set up a phone interview shortly after completing my application. The phone interview lasted roughly 20 minutes.
    After the phone interview I was contacted to set up an in person interview. The in person interview lasted 3 hours. There were several stages: first I completed an online questionnaire, next I met with a manager and discussed my resume, and confirmed the online questionnaire answers. Next I was interviewed by a sales manager, I was asked roughly 10 "tell me a time when..." questions and was shown a video on the mock sale process. Next I completed a mock sale, and was asked how I felt I did, and received feedback from the managers that were involved. Next I was interview by 2 more managers from the purchasing department, they asked me about my previous work experience and roughly 10 more "tell me a time" questions. This was the last interview for the day, and I was told I would be contacted after the managers discussed their notes with the LGM.
    About an hour later I revived a call to meet with the LGM the next day.
    At the LGM interview I was informed of the pay plan and benefits, and offered a position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tolleson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Tolleson, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through their website at night and got a call the next morning asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was fairly easy and consisted of me answering a few questions and receiving a lot of information on Carmax as a company. I was then asked to come in for a in person interview for the following day.

When I arrived I was asked to sit at a computer watch a video and then fill out a questionnaire asking background type questions (have you been fired from previous employer, have you had disciplinary action for being late, have you been convicted of...)

Once that was complete I sat with the manager and had a 1 on 1 interview. It was very straight forward. Each answer I gave was written down and it was clear they were looking for specific answers. Then I was asked to watch another video before doing a role play with one of the associates there. He pretended to be a customer and I showed him a sedan. After that was done we sat down and went over my performance on the role play and was asked how I felt I did. Then I was asked to wait for about 10 minutes before the manager returned offering me a position and asking me to take a saliva drug test. The interview was about 2 hours and the process overall took about 48 hours from applying to being offered a position.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?
      Tell me about a time you had to persuade a customer to purchase something,
      Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.
      Lots of Tell me about a time questions.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Boise, ID) in December 2016.

Interview

Very thorough including telephone, computer, and personal interviews. Several levels to work through before decision is made to either deny employment or continue through the process. Very nice people in all departments. Company has obviously built a great reputation for how it treats its employees. Disappointed in the outcome and did not feel that they were totally honest in how they evaluated potential employees.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been convicted of a crime including theft or fraud?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Baton Rouge, LA) in December 2016.

Interview

You will have a over the phone interview followed by 3-4 in person interviews with different managers at location applied, 1 role play "sale a car" step. If they want you , they will offer you the position same day followed by drug test