CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

2.9

216 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview. It should last you about 15-20 min. But mine lasted about 35 min. Always have questions ready for them as well. He asked well rounded questions that applied to selling in general.

After the phone interview, they called me the ver next day to come in, in a week for the in person panel interview

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (East Haven, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

First interview over phone, got called to come in for second interview where I met with 4 sales managers, answered more questions on the computer and did a mock sale.

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Lengthy, but expected, after all you will be given access to some very expensive cars. That's not even counting all the private information you will get from customers, S.S. #'s etc. First was the online application, short test. Second was a phone interview. Third was a long online test. (Then another call just to clarify what you stated on the online application LOL.) Last was the in person interview. On the day of the in person interview, bring driver’s license of course. Then they did a "Role playing" which entailed pretending to sell a car to one of the managers, which takes about (5-10 minutes) not hard, (just fake it till you make it.) Then another conversation with another manager, where they offer you the job. Then off to another room for the drug test, they give you a mouth swab and they send it to lab (no more peeing in a cup). Fill out authorization for background check. More forms to fill out etc. etc. My in person interview took about 3 hours. Dress nice but be in something that you can move around in for the role play (not too dressy), you can see on the Carmax website etc. that they dress very casual.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific time you sold a customer something that they were not sure about.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very informative. Interviewer used his time to ask questions as well as give interviewee opportunity to ask questions as well. They provided ample information about the company, the position, and the type of work it entails. Interviewer also gave plenty of time to go into detail abkut youe previous experience and how it fits what they are looking for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CarMax (Fairfield, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was fairly normal, apart from the extremely long time I had to wait for a manager to get to me. I was waiting in the lobby for a good hour or 2. I met with a few different managers, all asking pretty normal questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pineville, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Pineville, NC).

Interview

Online Application is like 2 hours long which is ridiculous. Phone Interview pretty easy and fast. Basic questions like why do you want to work here. Got invited for a face to face interview. They are extra picky. Make sure you study questions like tell me a time when....it was just ridiculous. Everyone was nice. Except one sales manager was laughing because I wasn't prepared for those type of questions like tell me a time when you got someone to buy something that was wasn't going to buy. I never been asked though questions before. I didn't get the job bc they said they would follow up and are revising other candidates. My honest opinion, I think it was too much just for a car sales position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you sold something to a customer who didn't want to purchase the item. How did you build rapport?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

First submitted application online, got a call back to schedule a phone interview, phone interview was very basic, was asked to do an in store interview at the end of the call. The in store interview was about 3 hours long, as other interview reviewers said, the in store process begins with a quick online criminal history test (have you ever raped, killed, stole, done drugs, etc.) Then I met with 2 managers separately who explained the employment and asked basic interview questions and asked questions about the criminal history quiz and prior employment. Afterwards I had a 2 on 1 interview in which I was asked situational questions that were about specific instances where I helped a customer or sold something they were not initially interested in. After that I went and did a mock sale. In the mock sale they're not looking so much at your vehicle knowledge but more at how you build rapport with a customer. You are given a sheet with basic clues about the imaginary customer who is role played by a manager while another manager takes notes during the sale and they expect you to try and build on that knowledge. After the mock sale I had another meeting with a senior manager who left and then came back for one more interview in which he explained the pay scale ($160 per car, $100 for a warranty, $50 for gap insurance, and a varying amount for accessories like bluetooth, leather, etc.) These amounts will increase for those in the presidents and directors club. In the final interview I was offered the job and immediately given an oral drug test. Overall the process was very simple and everyone I met was very friendly and I look forward to working with them.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you went above and beyond to help a customer   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations, fixed commision with additional spiffs paid for add ons

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Fort Collins, CO).

Interview

Was a tedious interview with a lot of separate parts. Role play selling a car, regular interview, and if successful, and interview with store manager- than a surprise drug test if they want to offer you the job.

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very short over the phone interview process. Asked a few simple questions from resume and about experiences. Overall it was a very positive experience and you will have plenty of time to explain your answers for the interview questions.

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in July 2016.

Interview

First was a phone interview with the head honcho. Just went over my experience and why I want to work there. Second was an online questionnaire just asking general questions about involvement in any crime. Then I was interviewed by the sales manager Rob; who was awesome by the way. Very friendly, and made every step transparent. He just asked scenario questions. After that was the mock sale, the sales manager took notes while I did the sale with an associate acting as the buyer. I was nervous like crazy, but it went okay. After that was done I was asked what I think I did wrong. I pointed out a couple things, and the sales manner have me a lot of very valuable feedvack for improvement. Then I took a drug test and was offered the job on the spot. We then went though paperwork and pay structure. It was a great experience. I start in a few days!

Interview Questions

• Describe when you had to sell a product to someone who wasn't interested?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, structure is set in stone.