CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Dayton, OH) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and set up a phone interview within three days. The phone interview was very short because I immediately gave them a "Thanks but no thanks." I point-blank asked him if the job was all commission, and he (very reluctantly) admitted that if you don't sell cars, you don't get paid at all. I told him that this wasn't going to work because I am not willing to work without pay... and for some reason, he continued the interview after I said that. I answered his questions, even though at that point it was pointless. Then he awkwardly said he'd "let me know when the rest of the interviews were finished." Which is hilarious, because I told him I wasn't intereste anymore!

Very... interesting. And quite awkward.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Greenville, SC) in June 2016.

Interview

Got to the job site 20 minutes earlier. Had an interview with the sales manager, then an online assessment, then an other interview about the answers I provided on the assessment, then a panel interview with both sales managers, then the sales role I had to do afterwards. They said they'd contact me later for the next steps in the process, but not sure if that's true.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax (Charleston, SC) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received a call to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was a few days later. Asked about my work history and why I wanted to work at CarMax. I was told I would get a call to schedule an in person interview in a few days. I had to follow up but a face to face interview was scheduled. When I got there, after I met the manager, I was put in a room to have the "online interview." Took about 10-20mins. Background and drug/alcohol usage questions mostly. After that, I was supposed to be interviewed by the service and sales manager but service manager was "called into another meeting" so I just interviewed wth the sales manager. I prepared to role play selling a vehicle but we role played in that same room. Did not go outside. No drug test and they said they would call me in a couple of days either way to have me come back for another interview or to let me know they have "decided to go a different direction." Based on the other reviews on here, I pretty much knew then that I would not get a job offer. 1 1/2wks later and a follow up call to them and have yet to hear. A call like the said they would give me would have been nice. They should respect by time as I thanked him for his. Oh well!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with a team?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Kennesaw, GA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very calm and easy going atmosphere. You can tell that they (interviewers) definitely want to make you feel comfortable. Nothing too stuffy. Just be yourself. First round was a phone call with one of the managers just asking basic interview questions. Next round was in person with a different manager who also asked basic interview questions, just more in depth.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Norcross, GA).

Interview

interviewed by multiple managers at location. Last interview with LGM of store. Quick background check process. Some online test questions done same day during interview if they are interested in you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX).

Interview

Easy. Asked a few questions regarding personal life, goals, and what you can bring to the company. Also role-played customer service and situational circumstances. When you arrive ask any person working there and they can direct you to the office where the interview will be held. 1 on 2 interview style. Laid back atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Given this circumstance how would you respond to the customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Hartford, CT) in May 2016.

Interview

Had a quick phone interview. Not difficult at all. Very straightforward. You need to first go through online survey. They'll call you within 2-5 days to schedule a phone interview. They scheduled a meeting in person, but after researching the company I realized the salary is too low. I also did not want to waste time on the one-month, full-time training. It should be rather easy to get hired since the company tends to pay below market.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2016.

Interview

Two Phone Interviews And One In Person Interview, the in person interview is almost like your first day at the end of the in person interview you're basically hired

Interview Questions

• Where do you draw most of your life experiences from?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Had a brief phone screen with someone who sounded hesitant and robotic and like he was reading from a script. At the conclusion, I was then invited to come in for a face-to-face interview with a sales manager

On the day of the face-to-face interview, I arrived early for my appointment and informed someone in reception that I was there for an interview. They asked me to have a seat and they would inform the sales manager.

After waiting about 5 minutes past the original appointment time, I followed up and was told that someone from the business office would set me up on a computer to complete some assessments. After waiting another 10 minutes, she arrived (seeming somewhat flustered and rushed) to get me set up on computer to do the additional assessments. She asked me to have the business office track her down when I was done.

Eventually, I had an in-person panel interview with a sales manager and a purchasing manager. They each took turns reading questions from a form. Following that, was a 5-minute exercise to show them how you would sell a car.

Overall, the experience was extremely impersonal and scripted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to overcome an objection when you were selling something?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax in April 2016.

Interview

From time I applied to my first day working was really fast but the rest was slow. The online app took over an hour and was torture to complete. A few hours later I got a phone call from sales manager gauging my interest and brought me in the next day for in person interview. In person took 4 hours. Most of it is going over the app you completed online which made me wonder why have me check the box stating the info I provided was accurate if you're just gonna ask me for it in person. Quite annoying. Then met with sales manager who was nice and asked a few star based questions and did the mock sale. It was nerve wracking and they want to see how you interact with a customer and will quiz you on how you think you did. Then I met with GM who offered me the job and then hr lady who kept me for another hour to fill more paperwork and take drug test. Very embarrassing walking across sales floor with a cup of my urine. I already stand out in a suit and tie and everyone gets to see me in a suit and tie and a cup of urine. Embarrassing. Was able to start a few days later though.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you think you did right and what you think you did wrong in that mock sale?   Answer Question