Carat Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 13, 2017

2.5

Assistant Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carat (Detroit, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

One very short phone screen with HR, basic questions about you/describing the role, nothing to be nervous about. Then one in person interview with two managers at their Detroit office. The managers I met with gave me a weird vibe. To start off the conversation he told me my resume was "interesting" (not in a good way) and seemed very condescending and arrogant while asking me questions. It seemed strange to me to start off the interview by basically insulting me, but I ended up getting an offer so maybe I'm just being sensitive.

The process was really quick. Compared with other companies I am currently interviewing with, the process at Carat seemed very rushed and like they didn't care who they hired, they just needed someone because the turnover there is so high. It is more important to me to feel valued as an employee and to feel like I'm entering a good workspace with room for growth, than to just take the first job that falls into my lap, so that's why I declined. While I definitely appreciate an interview process that moves along and doesn't leave you hanging, this seemed a little tooooooo quick. Only one in person interview that lasted 30 minutes, met one member of the team I'd be working for, and I got an offer? Just seems a little off to me.

They also were very pushy about accepting the offer ASAP. Only 48 hours to make a decision. That, combined with low pay and an extremely easy interview process (literally less time talking with managers than when I was interviewing for internships, and this is full time), are the reasons I declined. Didn't seem like a good fit where I would be challenged and valued.

Interview Questions

• I basically walked them through my resume, my extra curricular activities, etc. and they would ask for more specifics if needed. Very straight forward.   Answer Question

Assistant, Digital Media Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Carat (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I don't typically go to the internet to write poor reviews but in this instance I just had to. I have been on many interviews but this one was BY FAR the worst. Prior to the interview, the team requests that you watch youtube tutorials on third party ad servers and prepare for a test that you will take during your time at the company. I watched the 3 videos and took extensive notes which I reviewed, so that I would do well on that examination. When I got to the building, all was well until two of the team members greeted me. They were so painfully awkward and made me super uncomfortable in the time it took to get to the interview room. The interview was unique in that it seemed like it was the first time they interviewed someone and that they truly had zero interest in the company and in being there with me. I felt so awkward and actually BAD about sharing my experience. Towards the end of the interview, one of the questions actually was, "so I guess... tell me like something else that's not on your resume" in the most apathetic way possible.
    They left the room and another interviewer came in. He was a little better but still gave the vibe that they really didn't care who they were hiring just as long as they could do the job. It was very disheartening.
    The last part of the interview was a tutorial on how to use third part ad servers and then take a multiple choice T/F test on the videos. The team member that implemented this was very nice and I enjoyed talking with him.
    I was in the office for a little over 2 hours! A pretty long time to be there. I emailed the recruiter I had previously had a phone interview with to get the emails of the team members so I could send them thank-you's on the SAME DAY. Two weeks later (around the time I was supposed to hear back), she never answered me. I emailed her again to see if there was any results from the interview because I figured I was owed as much for my time/money to get into the city. However, there was no answer from her then either.
    This was the most unprofessional experience ever and I would never recommend this company to anyone. I am very disappointed. Who knows if I even got the offer??

Assistant, Ad Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carat (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The most unprofessional interview I've been to. There's another person's review on Glassdoor and I think we had interviewed for the same job, probably even with the same group of rude people. Unlike him/her, I had to TRAVEL 5hrs to NYC for my interview. It costed me two days and over $300 (Of course I wasn't going to be reimbursed). I was also told to watch three videos on Youtube, and was also asked really weird questions that totally had nothing to do with the youtube videos.

So I initially applied to position A, which is a great match for my background, but during my phone the HR somehow think I'd be a fit for position B and want me to come to the office and meet with team B, so I was like fine I'll meet with them because as a job seeker you don't say no to an interview opportunity. But when I sat down with team B and went over my background team B were like, errrr sounds like you'd be a better fit for team A and I'm not sure if team A is hiring but I'll send them your resume. I was like WTF?

Overall it was a HUGE waste of my time and my money. Plus you always start at the Assistant Level and I dont even think you can decently live in NYC with that pay. And guess what? Of course no one thanked me for traveling, no one appreciated the amount of time/money I put in, and NO ONE GOT BACK TO ME EVER WITH ANYTHING.

Interview Questions

• Went over resume. tell me something that's not on your resume   Answer Question

SEO Specialist Interview

Interview

I was approached by one of their recruiter on Linkedin. He was impressed by blog and seo experience. I was called for in person interview. The in person interview was rescheduled as the interviewer was not available. My interview was at Comerica Building. Very laid back. Do not expect email repliers or phone call returns.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked me to introduce my self. I knew from the start that they were impressed by search engine optimization experience and skills. I was shocked to know that director had no clue of what were the limitation of Twitter marketing. No question asked related to search engine optimization or anything related. I felt that the interviewer was not comfortable with what background was in digital marketing. But like any seo specialist, I am a doer. We try and test and we learn. Anyway a week later after I sent several emails I found out that they were not interested.
      To me that was not surprise as I will not be comfortable with working under a team who do not know the basic of seo.
      Answer Question

Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Carat (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very unprofessional. The recruiter called to cancel my interview the morning of with no explanation. Someone I know in a VP-level position found out and basically ripped the recruiter a new one. They ended up rescheduling the interview (phone interview - not in-person as originally planned). The interview was awkward obviously because at that point the recruiter felt obligated to go through the motions.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions that were expected - past work experience & skill set.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carat (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Pretty easy interview questions: walk us through your experience, can you handle high stress situations, describe an experience where you disagreed with a decision made and how you handled it, where do you see yourself in 5 years, describe how you organize your days and weeks, how proficient are you with excel etc.
    I had a phone interview with a recruiter, then an in person interview (a little over an hour and a half, met with 4 people, one of which changed last minute), and then I had a phone interview with someone else in the office which was weird. They never contacted me after the phone interview, which personally I find unprofessional. They could spend roughly two and a half hours of all of our time, but not take a few minutes to send me an email or leave me a phone message that I was no longer being considered for the position. But such is life. I got the impression from all of them that they are overworked and underpaid.

Interview Questions

• walk us through your experience, can you handle high stress situations, describe an experience where you disagreed with a decision made and how you handled it, where do you see yourself in 5 years, describe how you organize your days and weeks, how proficient are you with excel etc.   Answer Question
    • What print media would you choose to reach our target audience (parents of school aged children)   Answer Question

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carat.

Interview

I came in for an entry-level interview only to find out when I got there that one out of the two people that I was supposed to meet with was out of town. Instead of meeting with the original two people as expected, I ended up meeting with 4. They acted like my previous experience would hinder me (communications/PR, marketing). I was confused as to why they acted like this when 1. I was interviewing for an entry-level position and 2. The job description said that they would train me and 3. The experience that I've had is very valuable.

After the interview, I decided that it wouldn't be a good fit and if I were to get the offer, I would respectfully decline. More than 2 weeks later and haven't even heard a peep out of them. Just another one of those instances where the company doesn't consider the candidates' time.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about where you see your career going, are you proficient in Excel, are you good with numbers?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carat (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

one round interview with 2 managers
    Nothing else to say, they were very polite and informative.
    They described the role, but avoided any questions regarding salary
    one round interview with 2 managers
    Nothing else to say, they were very polite and informative.
    They described the role, but avoided any questions regarding salary.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Carat.

Interview

Rigorous interview process but friendly team members who take the nervousness away from you. HR is very helpful and will prep you for the interview. Research the company and be prepared to really lay out your intentions for your career.

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Carat in June 2016.

Interview

I went through two rounds of interviewing. One informational 15 minute phone interview with HR that was just more about the position itself. A second interview over Skype with the manager of the team I would be working with and a second person who previously held my position on a different team. They asked easy, generic questions and were super helpful and nice about answering my questions.
    The second interview lasted about 30 minutes.

I got an offer the next day, but the compensation was low. I negotiated the offer, got a counteroffer, and turned that down for various reasons. When I called to decline the position (which was extremely hard for me to do), HR cut me off and said "Okay, I'll tell the team" and hung up on me. It wasn't a bad experience overall, I just had negative feelings in my gut during the entire process.