Cargill Quality Management Chemist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cargill Quality Management Chemist Interview Questions

Interviews at Cargill

3.6

Quality Management Chemist Interview

Interview

1 half hour phone interview with HR and a 4 hour on-site interview with plant/lab tour and lunch. Interviewers were extremely friendly and the experience was pleasant and relaxed. HR called back 2.5 weeks later with an offer. The entire process took about 2 months.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay up to date with current scientific literature/literature related to your field?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Cargill

Quality Management Chemist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cargill.

Interview

I went to the career fair at my university and talked with a couple recruiters. They told me they had a few openings and asked for my resume. I went to their website and applied for the job and the next week I was scheduled for an interview. The Interview process wasn't too hard, mostly behavioral questions. I was a little nervous at the beginning but they were very friendly and eased up towards the end.

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cargill (Omaha, NE) in April 2015.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter at a university career fair, and had an on-campus interview the following week. I was then notified that a dozen candidates would be brought to Omaha for a second round of interviews. This first day involved a tour of the plant, a Q&A session with current employees, and dinner with the other candidates and hiring managers. This was all very casual with continual opportunity to ask questions about the position/company. The second day started very early with a short benefits presentation followed by two 1 hour interviews. Mainly behavioral-based questions with a few concept questions specific to your major; nothing was too daunting, and the interviewers were all friendly.
       Received a phone call three days later from HR, stating that they wished to extend an offer. Because of shuffling between the multiple plants, a salary and location could not be provided at that time. Cargill was very understanding of my situation, and encouraged me to continue talking with other companies while they sorted things out on their end. I notified HR when I received an offer from another company (appx. two weeks after the Omaha trip), and received a call two days later with salary and location information.

Interview Questions

• If salt is mixed with water, does it cause the melting point increase or decrease and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cargill (Cedar Rapids, IA) in November 2013.

Interview

I first met the interview team at a campus recruiting event. After a few weeks I was invited to Iowa for a plant tour with other candidates from the Midwest. It was a two day event with a plant tour and a dinner for the first night and a two part interview on the second day. It was a very insightful opportunity to learn more about the operations and job function in the corn milling operations.

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Cargill (Dayton, OH) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position in fall of my senior year of college after speaking with a recruiter at a job fair. I had an hour long onsite interview with two representatives from the quality department that was almost entirely behavioral based questions. I then was asked to attend an onsite interview event. The event was held in October at a hotel local to a plant and spanned 2 days. At this event, there were at least two dozen other candidates. We networked with several Cargill employees over meals, information sessions, and a tour of the site. There were two hour-long interviews with Cargill employees at the end of the event. A few weeks later, I received an offer but was not given a location. I provided my top three choices and had to accept the position on good faith. For university recruiting for this position, in my case, at least, you are not told which plant you will work at until the spring. I found out in March where I would be moving that May to begin working. The drug test could not be administered until after the location was given, so this came ~four months after the job was accepted.

Interview Questions

• This is a technical question asked of food science students: Tell me about the most technical or complex piece of equipment you have used and how you would operate it.   1 Answer

Quality Management Chemist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cargill in January 2014.

Interview

I had an interview set by a temping agency. I was interviewed by a Chemist, who asked very intelligent, chemistry related questions, as well as questions relevant for the position. I was very impressed and challenged. I was also interviewed by a supervisor manager and an HR person who did not speak at all during the interview. They seemed very interested in hiring me. My recruiter contacted me the next day to see if I have liked the company and if I wanted to start working with them. I asked for some time to think since I was offered another position. They called the second day and told me that they could not make me am offer, only bc they had to choose between me and another candidate who had work experience in a pharmacy. But I was told the staff had said very positive and good things about me. I thanked them and thanked the staff for taking the time to interview me. I was called then after two days, they were offering me the position because that candidate declined their offer. I just had to decline their offer because I had already accepted another job offer.

Interview Questions

No benefits. It was a night shift from 6 pm to 6 am. Seven days a week. And I had to work every other week.

Quality Management Chemist Interview

Interview

I had an on campus interview after a career fair, and then got called in for a second interview in Omaha, NE. The on campus interview was great and very relaxed. I joked around with the interviewers, and even offered possible suggestions to better the company. The second interview was a two day experience. Day 1 was a tour of the facility, and day two was interviews from 730AM till noon.

Interview Questions

• Fully describe pH and what we use it for?
      What is chromatography?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cargill (Madison, WI) in September 2015.

Interview

After talking with Cargill at a job fair the previous day, I had an interview the next day. Their were two people at the interview. They described the total process as one interview first, and then a weekend site visit if you are invited back. This visit is late fall every year. The interview contained standard questions as well as more technical chemistry questions.

Interview Questions

• What is Beer's Law?
      Describe column chromatography to a non-scientist and to a scientist.   Answer Question

Quality Management Chemist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cargill in November 2011.

Interview

I first met Cargill at a career fair on campus in mid September of 2011. I spoke with them and immediately fell in love. I handed over my resume and, as per their instructions, applied through their website for the open position.

About 3 weeks later, I was invited to an on-campus interview. In mid October, I interviewed with two representatives from Cargill Corn Milling USA both of whom started in the position for which I was interviewing. The questions were mostly behavioral but also consisted of a few easier technical questions. I felt like I hit it off with the interviewers, and though I botched a technical question explaining pH (don't judge me), I felt it went fairly well.

About a week and a half later, I received an email inviting me to attend a two day, onsite interview. I was given the choice between two different dates for the interview which were Wednesday and Thursday or Thursday and Friday of mid November.

A month later, it was time for my interview. Because I was close to the onsite location, I drove, but many of my fellow interviewees were provided with airfare by Cargill. I arrived at the hotel (paid for by Cargill) in the early afternoon, checked in, and then met with my fellow interviewees in the lobby. They had a sign-in table set up where I was presented with a folder with information about Cargill and about the days' activities. I was also presented with a Cargill chocolate (yum). Dress was business casual for the day, as we were to tour the plant that afternoon. We loaded a bus and headed to the plant together where we were given a brief introduction to cornmilling followed by an extensive tour of the plant. I really got an opportunity to see how things worked there, which was great. We also had an opportunity to drill the brains of several people working at the plant in the position for which we were interviewing. We then headed back to the hotel and had an hour or so to freshen up before dinner. Dinner took place in the hotel with all interviewees and interviewers. The environment was relaxing and allowed us to get to know one another and ask plenty more questions of professionals working at various levels within Cargill Corn Milling.

The next day, the intervewees were divided into two groups. My group had a fairly late start at about 10am. On the second day, dress was business formal. We were given a few presentations by various professionals at Cargill Corn Milling regarding benefits and tracks within Cargill. We then all convened for lunch where more questions were asked. Each interviewee was then scheduled for three, back-to-back, hour long interviews. Each interview was with two representatives. At the interviews, a few behavioral questions were asked followed by several technical questions. The interviewers had different lists of technical questions based on the major of the interviewee. A few questions overlapped among the interviews, but most were new at each one. There was plenty of time for me to ask questions, and at that point, I had several to ask. The atmosphere was relaxed and conversational, so it was easy to comfortably ask any questions I had, which were answered honestly.Everyone convened at the end of the day for a final wrap up and then went home.

About a week later, I received reimbursement for my gas mileage and meals eaten during the trip.

About a week after that, I got impatient waiting to hear back from Cargill, so I emailed the woman in charge of recruitment, letting her know that I was patiently awaiting her reply. Within 5 minutes, my phone was ringing. Cargill extended an offer to me. Hooray!

Interview Questions

• Please describe pH to me as if I had absolutely no scientific knowledge, and then again as if I had the same background knowledge on the subject as you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer extended to me was very fair and competitive to similar jobs for similarly qualified individuals. I was told at the interview process that offers are dependent on specific degrees and quality of applicants. I felt that my offer was very fair, so I did not negotiate.