Carl Zeiss Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Carl Zeiss Interview Questions

Updated Jan 26, 2017

2.8

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Carl Zeiss.

Interview

Lengthy,

On-line application, One week.

Face to face with hiring manager - Two weeks

Face to face with executive staff - two more weeks

Offer - two more weeks

Very pleasant experience, great people to work with

Interview Questions

• Typical questions

Time when a group project failed, succeeded

"Tell me about yourself"

How can you fit an elephant into a refrigerator?

How would your co workers describe you?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Carl Zeiss (Maple Grove, MN).

Interview

2 phone interviews and an in person interview. After filling out an online application and submitting a resume, I was contacted by a Zeiss recruiter (~2 weeks) to set up a phone interview. The first phone interview (1 week) was with the recruiter ~15min. Then a phone interview with 3 managers (1week). Finally an in person interview with the same 3 hiring managers (1week).

Interview Questions

• Why is customer service important?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to overcome an obstacle while teaching.   Answer Question
    • What's your biggest accomplishment?   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the company? (First interview) What have you learned about the company? (every subsequent interview)   Answer Question

Strategic Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Carl Zeiss (New York, NY).

Interview

Incredible messy, we were kicked out of the room that was reserved for the round one interview. Two of the folks interviewing me said "they don't know why they were chosen to interview me" and had to ask where I was "so far in the process". The process itself consisted of two phone screens, two in person interviews and 2 weeks of pressuring the HR team to do there part in the process.

Applications Engineer Interview

Interview

I found the posting online, and applied. I was contacted by HR to set up a phone screen. That was a basic interview with HR, and gave me more information about the position. A week later, they set up another phone interview with three hiring managers, one from each division of the position. A week after that interview, I was told that I would not be advancing in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• They asked what I knew about the position and the company.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Carl Zeiss in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and recieved an email to set up a phone screening interview. The interview was 30 minutes, very straight forward. Within the next day I recieved a second email in which they invited me to a second interview.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Carl Zeiss (Maple Grove, MN) in April 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a Recruiter, lasted about an hour. Very thorough, asked what I knew about Zeiss Industrial Metrology, about my career history, and some example questions from things I had done in my career previously. About a week later I was contacted to let me know I was not moving forward in the process, Recruiter gave feedback on the decision.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Zeiss? Tell me about a time you had to . . .   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Carl Zeiss (Maple Grove, MN) in September 2015.

Interview

One of the nicest interviews I've ever had. Met with Quality Manager and his boss. I applied on-line and was called the next week to drive up to Minnesota the next day. I was surprised as they wanted to interview me in person without going through the typical phone interview process. Unfortunately by skipping this step, It was not noticed that I was missing CMM skills, which appeared necessary. Interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Is is OK that this is a non-regimented working environment, encouraging employees to think out-of-the-box solutions?   1 Answer

Regional Service Manager, Brighton Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Carl Zeiss in July 2015.

Interview

I was flown in the day prior and met by a pre-arranged limo service. I was lodged in a very nice hotel. The next morning Iwas met at the hotel by the National Service Manager and delivered to the interview. The people Imeet were all very personable and seemed genuinely concerned with my comfort. The interview process was very comfortable and was held more as a group discussion rather than a question and answer session.

I enjoyed the process and would gladly participate in the process again.

I have not been contacted yet but am hopeful. I am submitting this without either an offer or news that they have chosen another candidate.

Interview Questions

• what was my worst customer issue and how did Iresolve it   1 Answer

Applications Engineering Manager Interview

Interview

Took a ridiculous length of time. Very little communication. Gave me the feeling HR really didn't know what they were doing. 10 year old industrial psychology format. Almost felt embarrassed for the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Describe what I think Customer Centricity means   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Carl Zeiss (Maple Grove, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

I don't know if my experience is an anomaly for Zeiss HR or not, because my experience seems contrary to the other reviewers. My interview process lasted 4 months and consisted of 3 interviews.

I applied online in June and was scheduled for a phone screening within 3 days. I had a nice, cordial screening interview which lasted 45 minutes. I was told the screening process would be completed by July 4th and second round candidates would be brought in for 1:1 interviews. I hadn't received any feedback so I followed up in mid July by email. I was told the process was taking longer than expected, but that I would hear from HR shortly.

I was scheduled for a 1:1 interview with my potential boss at the beginning of August. Interview was scheduled for 1 hour, but actually lasted closer to 2.5. Very nice interview mixed with formal and informal questions on experience and management style. I was impressed with his attention to detail and that he took the time to explain the products along with Zeiss's goals for them.

I was scheduled for a second 1:1 interview with VP of Sales, VP of Marketing, and HR manager about one week later. Interviews lasted about 3 hours and consisted of typical form questions and personal conversation. The next step is the process was an interview with the GM for candidates who made it to the third round. This was expected to take place the last week of August.

I hadn't received any feedback (positive or negative) so I followed up with my contacts to see if I hadn't been selected for round 3 at the end of August. I was told the process was moving slower than expected but to be patient. Honestly at this point I thought my chances were 50/50, because I thought I connected with one of the VPs, but not the other one. I still hadn't received any feedback by middle of August so I called yet again, primarily to get closure on the opportunity. Yet again I was told to be patient and that the process was taking longer than expected. I waited until the end of the first week of October to connect with my contact, at which point he told me they went in another direction and was surprised HR hadn't contacted me.

I was impressed with the people I met, but would characterize their HR process as unprofessional and unnecessarily long. Throughout my interview process I invested 4 months of time, multiple vacation days, hours in the car, hours of prep time, and multiple closure phone calls........and at the end of it HR didn't even feel the need to send a polite "We appreciate your interest, but we've chosen another candidate email". I consider that a red flag and would warn other candidates to set their expectation of Zeiss HR accordingly.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions. Time you succeeded, time you failed, etc...... but the most complex was....How would you fit an elephant into a refrigerator?   Answer Question