Carvana Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

Sort:

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carvana (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2016.

Interview

I spoke to one of the recruiters over the phone. They then set up an in-person interview, where I was tentatively scheduled to interview with four people, but the first two interviews ran long (90 minutes total). They went over my background, over the job itself, and asked standard questions. After that was a second in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. What are your go-to questions when interviewing a candidate? Why do you want to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Photo Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winder, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Carvana (Winder, GA) in December 2017.

Interview

One phone interview
    One in person interview
    In person interview 30-45min

In person interview was very concise. She was very transparent with the job responsibilities and what was expected. The position I applied for was described as a “photo IT” position in which I would assist in troubleshooting photography equipment.

I was deemed unqualified for th position but I was offered a interview for a different position.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience solving problems on the job   1 Answer

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Carvana (Tempe, AZ) in July 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screening, after which I received an email for a face-to-face interview with 3 different people at the HQ in Tempe. 2 of the interviewers were very friendly and bubbly, the third you could tell had a lot on his plate and needed to get back to work. I had no problem with the interviewers or the questions they asked, per se, but there are a couple things that irk me. 1) On their website, it clearly mentions that they hire for a cultural fit every time and can do hard skill training if needed. That's bogus. They want somebody who's ready to go and will need little to no training. 2) They sprung a timed excel case study on me in the interview with no mention of it beforehand. Obviously I would have studied up beforehand if I'd known there'd be a quiz. And 3) I reached out to 2 different people in that job function on LinkedIn to try and gain some insight about the company and interview. Neither responded.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult here. The questions you ask them are probably more important than the questions they ask you.   Answer Question

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Carvana (Tempe, AZ) in June 2018.

Interview

2 interviews. First a ~15 minute phone conversation with a recruiter to make sure you’re not crazy and are who you say you are. Then the in-person interview. They do 3 1:1s rather than a main one with all 3 of them. Sr Buyer, Team Lead, and then VP of the department.

The buyer was very friendly. He spoke as if I’d already gotten the job. The team lead seemed distant at first but warmed up after a while. He gave me a mock quiz of how I’d determine how much to sell and buy a vehicle for. I didn’t do that great but he assured me that they offer training.

I didn’t get an Excel case study like the other reviewers did, even though I mentioned that I was strong in Excel and good with SQL, hoping to trigger it. Tableu was not mentioned. Lastly was the 3rd interview with the VP. I believe his was the only one that mattered. He sounded very disinterested and busy. Like he was driving. The only times he seemed to loosen up were when talking about himself (Flattery has never been my strong suit. Future applicants, try buttering him up?) . He ended with the unprovoked answer of “You’ll hear back in a week”. The second interviewer walked me out and wished me luck, which confirmed that the 3rd interviewer has the final say.

As I was leaving, I noticed the team was pretty homogenous and not very diverse. I didn't fit the mold. My resume was solid and I reiterated all of the ways my background prepared me for this role but my delivery skills could have been better if I’m being honest. I was nervous, especially when the 3rd interviewer wasn’t as friendly as the first 2. Not to make excuses. If they weren’t feeling it, they weren’t feeling it. But it’s something you’ll notice. Surprising since the other departments all seemed pretty diverse (your assigned recruiter gives you a tour of the office before the interview).

They didn’t ask too much about my resume. Most of the questions were variants of “Why do you want to be here”, i.e What interested you in Carvana. What interested you in the buyer position. How do you feel about cars? Why do you want to work at a Start Up. They didn’t ask much about me either, other then to ask why I was there. Not the end of the world, but it’s a little courtesy I’ve seen interviewers give applicants that they’re interested in.

My advice: Be nice, make jokes, ask questions with the first 2. The 3rd one doesn’t have much of a sense of humor. Stick to flattery, ask him about himself, demonstrate your interest in the company (he seemed to like that), sell yourself a little. Idk. Good luck. If you pass, post of review of what you did right. I probably won’t apply again to that department, but I’m curious.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Carvana (Tempe, AZ) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview was for the Operations and Strategy team. The interview consisted of three steps:

1) Detailed interview about your personality and background by HR manager
    2) phone interview by VP about the background and experiences
    3) on-site interview by the leadership team including COO, CEO, CFO and Operations lead mainly about the experience and background and how the role fits with your background.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Carvana (Tempe, AZ) in January 2018.

Interview

Two Carvana employees reached out to me on linked in about coming in to interview. After speaking with them on the phone they set me up with their HR department. I had a phone call with HR, and then they brought me in for a panel-style interview with 3 separate pairs of managers. Beware- Carvana is one of the more pretentious companies you will interview with in the Phoenix area. They are super into their process and they have an extremely high opinion of themselves. They are a little snobby the way that they look down on every other software company in the Phoenix area. I didn't want to interview with them because I'd heard bad things about their work/life balance, but did anyways because the director of engineering reached out to me on LinkedIn. They will try to impress you with tons of stats about the company but underneath it all they are resistant to constructive feedback and take extreme offense if you have any kind of input on how they could improve.

Interview Questions

• What is one area of software where you have failed?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Carvana (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2016.

Interview

Phone screen, following by short phone interview with my prospective boss.

The in-person interview itself was one of the best technical interviews I have experienced in the Phoenix Area. There were four back-to-back independent 30 minute interviews with different people on the engineering team. Each interview segment was with 1-3 people.

Interview Questions

• What C# Interface is used in conjunction with a "using" statement?   Answer Question

Class A Truck Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moriarty, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Carvana (Moriarty, NM).

Interview

Phone interview then I am in person interview and after that drug test and background check. I had to take a drug test twice because they switched the process after my offer but my recruiter went above and beyond to make sure I got started ASAP!

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Carvana.

Interview

The interview process was very simple. Phone screen with extremely standard questions, no surprises. Then met in person with three different employees, only one from the department I would be working in. Each interviewer asked the exact same questions, would have been better to do a panel interview. Was called by an HR rep to tell me that I didn't get the job, which I though was kind of a strange practice and waste of their time, but I appreciated the 'human' touch.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Carvana (Tempe, AZ) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online and received a very fast response to my resume. I had a brief phone screen and then an in-person interview. 1:1 meetings with several different people. The recruiting team (which seems a little thin to me), was very helpful and communicative through the process. I am not the best interviewer, so this was practice I was happy to have. I subsequently received a very nice rejection. As nice as a rejection can be. The feedback I received was a little cryptic, however. I felt like the “criticism” of my interview was more about how I just generally was not a fit for that organization, not about if there was anything “specific” I did wrong on the interview. I’m not old, but I’m also not straight out of college. I think this company is looking for very edgy, tech savvy people no matter what field you are in. If you’ve worked in more traditional work settings and aren’t used to a more modernized sort of company, then this place probably isn’t for you. Their HQ office is sort of a free for all kinda place. Seems fun, but I don’t know how people actually get work done. If you’re more of the collaborative, entepreneurial type, then I guess this company would be appealing. If you like structure and organization and want to be at a more of an established organization, then you’ll need to look elsewhere. Overall I had a decent experience.