Interview Question

Data Analyst Interview

-Richmond, VA

Capital One

Case interview: basic business problem (if product X costs Capital One $4.00 per unit, with a $800 sunk cost, and we charge X amount of dollars along with a $10 annual fee, how many do we need to sell to break even, etc). Followed by a longer discussion of more complex problems that the situation might entail.

Answer

Interview Answers

7 Answers

Erin - it probably shouldn't be. The Revenue side should be (unit price + 10) * number of units sold. Dapo has assumed that unit price and number of units sold is the same since the letter X is used to describe both variables. That might be correct, but it would be an odd quirk of the question - I'd bet that you can ask what the unit price is.

Andy on

How is it possible to answer this without knowing the selling price per product? # of quantities to sell in order to breakeven depends on how much the selling price per product is? Since the selling price says X, you can sell it for $790 and breakeven by just selling 1 product ($790 per product + $10 annual fee (assuming it's per product)). But I may be misunderstanding the information provided. Any feedback?

Anonymous on

Actually, to correct the above response, if the selling price for 1 product is $794 (to cover the cost price of the product itself ($4) ), only 1 quantity needs to be sold. ($794 + $10) = ($800 + $4).

Why is x^2?

Erin on

total cost= 4x + 800 total income= x^2 + 10x to break even: 4x + 800 = x^2 + 10x solving for x by evaluating the quadratic equation above, x ~= 25.45 To break even, 26 units must be sold

Dapo on

Mostly algebra, basic economics, and common sense.

Anonymous on

very good if all 3 of you are interviewing, I can get the position. It doesn't say the annual fee is per product, so you have to assume or ask if it is the case, and if not the # of customer and potential customers estimation. And that x^2 Dapo, did you pass the online test?

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.