Castlight Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Castlight

1 Interview Review

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Castlight (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The worst recruiting team I've ever dealt with in my career. Period.

I applied online, got a message from Recruiter #1 a week later expressing interest.

We had a phone conversation where he asked some pre-screen questions, and surprisingly asked me my desired salary during the first 5 mins of the call. I believe in a transparent process, so I told him exactly what I was looking for, $X.

He confirmed that this was within the range of this role, and he'd like to move forward and get feedback from the hiring manager.

A week or so later, he set up a phone screen with an engineering team member. Coding, algorithms, etc. Normal engineering interview.

Got another follow up email from Recruiter #1, now he CC'd Recruiter #2, who apparently is higher up in the hierarchy. She gives me feedback that they'd like to move forward and bring me on site. Great!

At this point, Recruiter #1 also CC'd Recruiter #2 on our earlier follow up emails, where he summarized our discussion (pre-screen questions, desired salary, etc). So everything is transparent thus far.

I go for the on-site, nail every interview, and get a call back from Recruiter #2 a few days later saying that she received the green light from the manager and that they would like to move on to the offer phase.

Recruiter #2 now calls me, asking me the same question regarding my desired salary. I was surprised she asked me this, since she already knows my desired salary because Recruiter #1 CC'd her on an earlier email regarding our conversation. Nonetheless, I tell her the same number I told Recruiter #1, $X.

"That is way out of our range for this role..." - Recruiter #2's response. What?

I asked how that could be, when Recruiter #1 assured me from the start that it was within the range. If he had told me this upfront, I wouldn't have gone through 1.5+ months of interviews. Her response: "I have no idea why he said that..."

Cool. So you believe in catfishing candidates...? She also said that there were people on the team with 20+ years of experience who would be making less than me, and that they wouldn't be happy if they found out that someone with less experience was making more.

What. First off, how is that my problem? That's an organizational issue, and goes up to the culture set forth by leadership. Second, how in the world would any team member know my salary figure? I asked this question and the response I got was "things tend to get out eventually...".

Lol okay, great answer. Kind of funny that a company responsible for so much HIPAA compliance data has trouble keeping employee financials confidential.

Anyways, I told her I'd be open to an offer as long as it was strong, even if that meant agreeing to a lower salary (in exchange for higher equity, flexibility, etc.). She agreed enthusiastically and said she'd get back to me in a week.

It's been about four months now, and I haven't heard anything. So guessing they went with another candidate, but clearly felt as if they have serious issues in terms to communication and internal processes.

It's a bummer because I really liked the company and it's mission, but unfortunately I got the impression that it's a very political and unprofessional place, especially in engineering.

Oh well, there are plenty of other companies in the Silicon Valley to work for.

And guess what, a majority of them actually keep their word.

Interview Questions

Castlight Response

Apr 14, 2017

We are sorry to hear about your negative interview experience, and thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review. We have made internal process changes in response to your feedback. We... More