Castlight Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Castlight

2.9

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Castlight (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position through the career site and was contacted within a week by their internal recruiter.

Scheduling an interview with the recruiter was rather painless and the interview lasted about an hour. The interview with the recruiter was rather formulaic, in that he straight up told me that his job is to fill out a spreadsheet full of questions that he's been given by the hiring manager. It was clear that he was reading the questions word-for-word off the sheet which made the interview feel soulless. It felt like I was being interviewed by someone from the DMV.

That being said, the interview went well and he told me that my skills and qualifications are impressive etc... and that I'd hear back from him within a week regarding next steps for scheduling the next interview with the hiring manager.

Later that day I sent a thank you email to the recruiter - I got no reply back.

A week later I sent a follow-up email to the recruiter - I got no reply back.

Two weeks later I sent a final email to the recruiter, just to see what happened - I got no reply back.

Unprofessional IMO....

Product Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Castlight.

Interview

Phone calls with the recruiter and hiring manager, sent writing samples, then went to a half day onsite. During the interview process, I got the sense that the hiring manager is not very interested in managing and developing others. She made it clear that she is too busy to teach anyone so will need someone experienced in enterprise B2B to start adding value from day one. After ghosting me for months after my onsite interviews, I had moved on and assumed I didn't get the role, but then the recruiter called me out of the blues and said I'm their top candidate, but that they wanted to start over and try to interview some more candidates. Then goes another month of waiting while they screen and interview candidates. I also found out the hiring manager was still working at another company at the same time, so filling this role was not on top of her list. They ultimately rejecting me in the end (they said they want to hire a director level PMM instead). This entire recruiting process showed lack of respect for my time and value. It was a rollercoaster of emotions from being really excited about Castlight/the role to now not wanting to use the product as a customer due to my negative experience. I keep seeing various PMM roles (intern, PMM, Sr PMM, Dir PMM) posted again and again on numerous job boards. I still don't think they are ready to make a decision and are just wasting everyone's time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Castlight (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview itself was relatively easy, but a couple of the interviewers were unprofessional. 4 scheduled 30 minute interviews which felt rushed and did not provide enough opportunity for real Q&A. The initial phone interview with the hiring manager was rather brief - after about 10 minutes, she said that she'd love to bring me in for in-person interviews. That should have been a red flag that the team was inexperienced in the hiring process. The organization is clearly falling apart - I would strongly suggest staying away.

Interview Questions

• tell us how you would engage the end users of Castlight?   1 Answer

Castlight Response

Aug 2, 2017 – Internal Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your concern about the brevity of the phone and in-person interviews. We will take this opportunity to follow up with this team to provide coaching and feedback.

Product Marketing Interview

Application

I interviewed at Castlight in November 2012.

Interview

Initial phone screening interview with hiring manager went well. Was asked to prepare an ROI-based PP to help sales team secure an actual sale. Required ROI analysis, deep industry research, PP design, etc. Took most of Thanksgiving weekend to prepare. Presented to five team members individually, 45 min each. At last interview discovered I was the 10th or 15th candidate to interview for the position in the last 6 months. Was told I would hear something in a few days after they had the opportunity to circle the wagons. Asked to send the presentation, and work examples in PP form. Followed up with thank you email the next day as well as required materials, emailed again one month after, and again at 90 days as the position is still posted. No answer; ever. Given the fact they have the need, and the financial resources, it's disconcerting that they dedicate so many resources to the interview process, have extremely high quality candidates to select from, are in a fast moving startup, and can't make a decision.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Very clear in what they wanted to see during the presentation.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Castlight.

Interview

First phone interview was more of a fit and "tell me about your experiences doing X". Second round of interviews involved preparing a case which is a good barometer for whether you'll like the work. Met with a variety of team members, from future peers to leaders on the team, which provided a good sense of what the job would be like.

Interview Questions

• Presenting the Case, and why you made the decisions you did.   Answer Question

Management Role Interview

Interview

Phone screen was withdrawn but scheduled a face to face at an outdoor location with the Sr Director of Engineering. First schedule was cancelled and then the subsequent schedule ended up with no show, and no phone calls to advise this.

Interview Questions

• No show by the Sr Director of Engineering to interview me.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Castlight.

Interview

I found the recruiting unprofessional and desperate. The recruiter called me multiple times without notice and left text messages like “pls call me back” without even letting me know who they are, what the candidacy process is, or even the company they represented. I felt like I was talking with a shady organization and not a public company.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Castlight (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was little ad hoc. there were 4-5 interviews, out of which one was where I could ask questions. Overall a great team of people. I live in south bay and commute is difficult so I am reconsidering, but overall a good bunch of people. Its a python shop so that works for me as well.

Interview Questions

• You have a table that contains which book was purchased and a bunch of topics, and you want to find out what other books in the category can be recommended to the user. Design the query   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Castlight in August 2015.

Interview

Offsite recruiter reached out to me about the position based on my LinkedIn profile. I believe it was based on a keyword match. The onsite recruiter got in touch with me and asked me to be prepared for a 30-45 minute technical interview. I took time off to prepare and attend this technical interview from home. What I got was a 20 minute screening call from a team member. At the end of the 20 minutes the call was abruptly cut as the interviewer was getting kicked out of the room. I did email the recruiter to inform that it was not a technical interview.

Client Success Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Castlight (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initial phone interview was great and the in office was pleasant. HR was a nightmare. I had to push for an offer letter and even then it was an email confirmation of pay. The recruiter kept apologizing for the non formal introduction for new hires. I had to push for things needed.