Caterpillar Interview Questions in Champaign, IL | Glassdoor

2.6

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Engineering Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Talked with CAT at a career fair, received an email a couple of weeks later asking to interview on campus, Interviewed with 2 CAT managers back to back for 30-40min each, Got another email a week later with a job offer, I had a week to respond.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you made a decision too quickly.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when a decision you made early on save a lot of resources in the long run.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had difficulty convincing a team. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest achievement?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you went above and beyond without being asked.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you did not meet your own standards. How did you overcome that situation?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when your team did not meet standards. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a customer that was difficult to deal with. How did you manage them?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to build a relationship with a customer. How did you go about doing this?   Answer Question

Corporate Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Behavioral interview focusing on past experiences. Mine was two 30 minute phone interviews back to back. First interview was with HR and was the more intense one and second one was with hiring manager of the group that they are trying to put you in and was more laid back conversation.

Interview Questions

• GIve an example of a time you displayed the ability to lead a team towards success.   Answer Question
    • A situation where you encountered a bad teammate/partner and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

All by email and simply sent the wage along with living stipends.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

All of the questions were behavioral questions and were expected to be answered in the STAR format. It consisted of two interviewers back to back for approximately one hour total. Some of the questions overlapped so they didn't require that the candidate go over those in too much detail. Technical questions weren't asked (it appeared that they assumed competence based on the GPA of the student at a university). Overall it was a fairly easy interview albeit a bit tiring.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make a hard decision. How did you handle the situation and what was the result?   Answer Question

Received a better offer from another company.

Data Innovation Lab Practicum Interview

Application

Interview

Very relaxed interview. Arranged a meeting in the office with the managers and just chatted about my resume and general things. Got back to them a few days later and they emailed me an offer about a week after that. Then I had to complete a background check and a drug test. Overall, very easy and smooth interview process.

Analytics Practicum @ Data Innovation Lab Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

First interview was a brief HR screening over the phone. After the brief phone interview an informal interview at a local cafe with lab director. This was a very casual interview that felt more like a discussion than an interview. After this casual interview a more formal interview was set up between the lab director, the lead researcher and myself. This was a slightly more formal interview and I was asked a handful of behavioral type questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness? Talk about a time you had to motivate a team to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through a referral, process took a couple weeks. Two 1 hour interviews with 2 different interviewers. All behavioral questions which didn't allow me to show my technical skills even though I was applying for a software position. Never heard back even though the interviewer said they would keep me posted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to resolve a conflict within a group.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

A reasonably easy behavioral interview with typical questions. There were two individuals who I talked to, and they asked similar types of questions. I received my offer a couple of weeks after my interview.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time when you didn't succeed and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Practicum Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Two 45 minute behavioral interviews. Both interviewers gave me a list of scenarios and asked me to describe any particular times that I was in those scenarios. You are also persuaded to use the STAR approach.

College Practicum: IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Two 30 minute behavioral interviews, they read questions from a packet. The questions were almost all about situations that you've been in, and how did act in the situation, and what were the results of the situation. The interviewers were very friendly and tried to make me feel more comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a bad decision, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was pretty typical. It was a behavioral interview so the questions were typically situation based and I was told to answer based on previous experience. The toughest part was their STAR structure which they are pretty strict on. They fill out a form as you answer their questions so your best bet is to say what is going to look best on that paper.