Caterpillar Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2017

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2012.

Interview

Phone interview; on-site interview; almost all behavioral questions. 3 managers interviewed me one by one, including the hiring manager, and the manager of the manager. I also gave a short presentation about what I did before in that technical area.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

Interviewed by three managers,Drug Test,Lots of paperwork,Three different buildings,Paid interview,Dinner day before, Enjoyed it, Friendly staff, Nice Peoria tour, Prompt results, Very Respectful, I Loved it,Interviewed by three managers,Drug Test,Lots of paperwork,Three different buildings,Paid interview,Dinner day before, Enjoyed it, Friendly staff, Nice Peoria tour, Prompt results, Very Respectful, I Loved it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Detroit, MI) in April 2012.

Interview

Aside from asking questions about academics, extra circulars, and professional career goals, scenario based questions were given. The interviewer asked questions about a specific situation and you were expect to respond on how you did or would resolve the situation. Situations were either from past experiences or future hypothetical scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Employee X shows a breech in contract. Do you contact management?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied online and received an invitation for onsite interview for a research position in engine department. Interview was scheduled a week from the day i received the email. The process of getting tickets was easy and straight forward. They have a department to take care of that. I arrived in Peoria the day before the interview took a cab to the hotel. Had a nice meal and rested the night. The next morning i took a cab to the interview location and meet with the guide who accompanied to get the drug test done. After which i proceeded to go to the interview room.
    The room was average, with a conference table and chairs, pretty standard. The manager arrived first followed the two other interviewers. The interview process was fairly straight forward, they used target selection. After the interview, i went to eat lunch, the guide had a conference call to attend so i had to go out eat alone. After which i was taken on a brief tour of campus.
    They never really sent me a rejection letter, it has been more than 5 weeks since the interview. I am pretty sure the position is filled.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you failed to meet a deadline?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in February 2012.

Interview

Very professional and behavioral based. Overall interview was ~ 3 hours and some of the questions went in depth to understand the situation at hand and appropriate behavior displayed. Not many technical questions but just enough to understand your strength in fundamentals. Previous experience was greatly valuable. Overall a great experience. I received feedback within a week that I was selected and am going to get an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in January 2012.

Interview

Interview was full day long.
    Started with breakfast then 1:1 interview with manager, followed by another 1:1, then lunch followed by third 1:1, STAR questions and later showed me around the town
    interviewed by 3 people each lasted for 1 hr, breakfast and lunch provided.
    showed me around the town
    mostly went thru my resume and discussed my qualification and how I would best fit the position.
    Showed me the work they do.
    On the whole it was easy.
    Interview was full day long.
    interviewed by 3 people each lasted for 1 hr, breakfast and lunch provided.
    showed me around the town
    Showed me the work they do.
    On the whole it was easy.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

In early Oct. I got an on-campus interview. Didn't hear anything for about a month but was pleased to receive an offer to do an on-site interview in the Peoria area. I interviewed for a position in: Leadership and Technical Development Program - Product Development Track

Went out to a nice meal the night before with hosts and other interviewees.
    My host was around at various points throughout the interview day including picking me up to take me from the hotel to the engineering complex and a tour of Peoria afterward.

Interview day consisted of an introductory presentation to all interviewees, 3 different 1:1 interviews, a fine quality lunch, a tour, a presentation on benefits, and 1:1 time with the manager of the area you would be hired into. Overall it was a well run process that made me feel immersed into the company for a day, more so than other companies I've encountered.

The interviews were with 3 different managers including one who manages the division I would be hired into. The interview questions were behavioral based as have been described here. However, I would not go into these 'cold turkey'. I spent a decent amount of time 2 days before the interview practicing questions with someone and adding to my repertoire of scenarios to draw from.

I was informed the interviewers would have meetings to decide on candidates that same day. (I also understood that while there were multiple interviewees, we were not competing as we had all been picked for different positions). I received an offer by email about 1.5 weeks after my on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• How did you arrive at choosing your major?   Answer Question
    • Sometimes people you work with will be more challenging than others. How have you experienced this before and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't not have any other offers at the time but the Cat offer was very good so I did not try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

I interviewed with the hiring manager and two other managers working in the same group. All three interviews had the same structure. The manager will start off by presenting himself and talking about what his group does then asks you to speak briefly about yourself. He then proceeds to start the behavioral (STAR) interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to use an unconventional method to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by a face-to-face on-site. All questions were based on my resume. No specific technical questions outside resume.

Interview Questions

• STAR style interview (Situation, Task, Analysis & Results approach). Mainly discusses resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Completely INnflexible

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Lafayette, IN) in April 2011.

Interview

Recruiter arranged a screening interview with their hiring manager. After passing the initial interview I was brought on site for 1:1 with managers a facility tour and meal. The interviews where by three managers that often had identical questions.