Caterpillar Engineering Team Leader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Engineering Team Leader Interview Questions

Engineering Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

Called a month after applying for different position in another facility.

CAT arranged hotel, plane tickets, rental car and paid for all. Very professional.

Sponsor met me at hotel about hour after check in, took me to dinner, showed me around town, told me how to get to interview facility.

Interview started on time, given overview, what to expect, and what format (STAR).
Three one on one interviews. Biggest problem for me was taking military experience and putting it in civilian terms.

Taken to lunch, given tour of facility between interviews.

Upon leaving, felt it went well, but not sure how well.

Biggest complaint? No time to check out the town besides when the sponsor drove me around at about 10pm.

Interview Questions

• When did you have to tell a superior they were wrong?   1 Answer

Job- Interesting
People- Great
Salary- Right side of the bell curve, before bonus.
Benefits- Industry Standard.
Relocation- Houston, we have a problem.

The relocation package was VERY generous. As it was written in my offer letter anyways.
Housing:
CAT uses Paragon as their relocation contractor. I fell under the homeowner plan for relocation.
At departure, all closing costs, to include commission to be paid by CAT.
At arrival end, all closing costs and normal fees, such as application, home inspection etc.. To be paid.
"Price Protection" in that if I get transferred from Peoria, and the market is down, CAT buys my house.
Moving:
Full relocation, they send movers, I get paid to drive or they ship my cars and I fly there. Best package I have seen. Better than the Navy for sure.

Here is the problem. I can't sell my house. I'm upside down. No problem, I don't get selling benefits, right? WRONG. Since I can't sell my house, I lose ALL home related benefits, to include price protection if I move. Nevermind that NOT paying my commission saves CAT about $12-15k depending on sales price. This would be if I could come up with the cash to sell. I can rent it well above mortgage (rental market never crashed like home buying market here) so it makes sense to rent it out.

Next problem. Since I'm getting out of the Navy.. Paragon lady says I HAVE to use my "Home of Record" move from the Navy, CAT won't relocate me. For the non military, the home of record move is so when you separate from the service, you can move back to your hometown at government expense. Peoria is 1000 miles from my final duty station. My home of record is 400. Without even getting into the whole crappy movers that don't care that the Navy contracts, I would have to pay a few thousand out of pocket to have the Navy move me to Peoria.

I called HR, who was very nice, and explained that I think it's unacceptable that Paragon has removed my move benefits.. And that their messing with my initial offer has made the offer less competitive. That was without getting into I found it insulting that Paragon thinks it's OK to make me pay out of pocket to move when it's supposed to be covered because I have "benefits from the Navy' according to them.

It went three rounds back and forth with HR.. HR nice, but seems to have no power to negotiate. Paragon lady.. She acted like a real thing that rhymes with rich and was unpleasant.

CAT interview and offer was POSITIVE

Paragon, their contractor (and HR's inability to remind them they work for CAT) made it a NEGATIVE.

I offered to do a DITY move, which has me move my stuff in a Uhaul, where I could about break even, IF I would get the arrival home buying benefits.

PARAGON says "YOU CANNOT PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT YOU WANT".

I view Paragon cannot change my offer. Matters not what benefits I have coming from the Navy. I'm a veteran. I served 12 years and went to Iraq twice, Afghanistan once, and Somalia once. I'm being honorably discharged. I EARNED those benefits, not CAT.

CAT"s inability to keep their contractor in line.. Cost them an employee.

If they treated me like this with a move.. What's next? Telling me because I'm a 30% disabled veteran I have to use the VA for all my medical care (Much like the move, it does NOT work that way.. VA will only treat what got broken in the military)