Caterpillar Interview Questions in Illinois | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Interview Questions in Illinois

Updated May 4, 2017

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

I used to admire this awful company since I grew up in Peoria. But after being jerked around more times than I can count by this company and their interviewing process, I now know better.

The first interview was for a full-time position at their corporate headquarters and was an all-day interview. I was fresh out of grad school, and my dad bought me some nice interview clothes. I jumped through all their hoops and was told that I had passed and would here from them soon. Several months and lots of chasing later, they finally told me they didn't have a job at all and probably never would.

Another interview was for a contract position. I showed up and was nervous and had trouble remembering the person I was going to meet with. A cocky, mumbling guy (you know the type) made fun of me and made me look like an idiot.

Interview didn't go well. I was told I was too "low key" and that I didn't want the job.

There were a couple more, both contract jobs. One was a terrible help desk job that paid little and required unpaid overtime, which they justified by claiming it would help avoid burnout (really? How do you figure?). The other interview went ok, but as with the other job I had to nag the hell out of them to get them to tell me they weren't interested.

I gave up entirely on the company (they own Peoria, basically) and eventually relocated to Chicago. You can imagine how unexcited I was when I heard they were moving their headquarters to a town 15 miles away from me. I hope they go bankrupt.

Senior Learning Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Caterpillar uses a Targeted selection process for all of the staff and supervisor positions, which will result in you participating in three interviews, where you will be asked a number of questions related to the key characteristics required for the job. The key is to know your career/personal life well enough to respond to the questions using the SMART methodology. Your answers should be specific, measurable, describing your specific actions, with results, and any relevant indicators of time.

They will typically only interview 2-4 candidates for any job, so if you get a call for an interview at Caterpillar, you can assume that you are in the final 3-4 of candidates. Typically the interviews are done within a 2-3 week period of time, and most decisions are made within 1 week following the final interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to manage multiple tasks   1 Answer

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

They asked what I liked/disliked about my previous jobs then asked me questions about scenarios where I had to draw from my previous job experiences. They asked me to provide specific examples, my actions and what the outcome of my actions was.

Interview Questions

• Explain a specific time you had to process a large amount of data quickly and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Contract Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Targeted selection with difficult questions. Usually anywhere from 5-10 questions. Multi-panel interviews or rotation of multiple interviews. Can possibly take longer than expected - don't drink a lot of coffee right before!!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you manager told you that you were not performing up to expectations.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a when you had to deviate away from an established process and how it turned out. Was the process eventually changed or added to in order to include the deviation?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I had this campus interview at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Very straight forward questions related to leadership and your work ethic. The Interview has very little eye contact because they take notes of your answers.

Interview Questions

• How did you overcome some of your challenging projects?   Answer Question

Entry Level Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process is structured. Three long interview starting with resume review for an hour followed by three different behavioral interview questions by three different people for an hour. After that you will wait for at least two weeks to get the interview results, which is just either pass or fail

Interview Questions

• Tell us a situation where you have contributed or made an innovative process or any kind of innovation currently or the past at your work place?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

Corporate Accounting Intern - initial online application, and then two interviews with the person i was going to work under and then the controller, and then about a week later, an offer was made.

All Roles Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Nearly all external and internal interviews follow the STAR process. For external full time we will often do a phone interview or an on-campus interview, and if acceptable bring folks in for a panel interview (normally all using STAR).

Interview Questions

• Situation based questions on behavior. I suggest you reference specific experiences and avoid saying what you would do in your responses.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be sure to list internships on your resume. This adds compensation for entry level hires coming out of college.

Configurator Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Panel of three managers taking turns asking questions that need examples. About 5 minutes of talk about you in the beginning. They asked me to summarize my experience. And about 5 minutes at the end to just chat and get a idea of my personality. It was exactly one hour and somehow was behind me. Kind of got cut short. You get the feeling that they hate the questions they are asking, but they have to ask them. The answers are still important.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you overcame difficulty with a fellow employee.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time when you went above and beyond the job duty.   Answer Question
    • How do you stay organized? Give an example of a time when this paid off.   Answer Question

Marketing Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

I was a summer intern and they gave all summer interns the opportunity to interview at the end of the internship. The interview was three hours long and it consisted of three 1-hour interviews with three different people. I didn't hear back for about three months.

Interview Questions

• They exclusively use STAR questions. Many of them are about your experience with working with others. They want to see that you are a team-player and work well with others. i.e., "Tell me about a time when a teammate didn't do what you asked of them. What did you do, and what was the end result?"   Answer Question