Caterpillar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

3.1

Technical Writer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

One of many bad interviews I had with this dysfunctional train wreck of a company. Interview was essentially an all-day affair with Dealer Channel Systems in what they call a "targeted selection" process. I was interviewed when they thought they were going to have an opening, only to learn after three months of excuses and stalling that they never had an opening at all. Thanks for wasting my time, caterpillar.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever showed leadership?   1 Answer

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penn State University, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Penn State University, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

Basic behavioral questions. It takes one hour and it goes for the whole time. Heard it would take two months to hear back, but heard back in less than a month

Purchasing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Standard behavioral interview. Lots of "tell me about a time..." questions. Interviewer was transcribing answers onto paper with STAR format, so important to articulate each part of answer. (Situation, Task, Action, Result) Interviewer also gave “lifeline” where if you did not like the question asked, they would give you another one in the same category.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you when you came up with an innovative solution to a problem.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I had this campus interview at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Very straight forward questions related to leadership and your work ethic. The Interview has very little eye contact because they take notes of your answers.

Interview Questions

• How did you overcome some of your challenging projects?   Answer Question

Entry Level Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process is structured. Three long interview starting with resume review for an hour followed by three different behavioral interview questions by three different people for an hour. After that you will wait for at least two weeks to get the interview results, which is just either pass or fail

Interview Questions

• Tell us a situation where you have contributed or made an innovative process or any kind of innovation currently or the past at your work place?   Answer Question

Entry Level Accountant Interview

Interview

All behavioral interview questions. The interviewer will ask you a series of behavioral questions. While you are answering, they will take notes. Overall, the interviewers are pretty nice, and will instruct you when you don't get the questions.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of a time when you offered a solution to a difficult problem.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (College Station, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

It was an hour total interview process. One 30 minute session with an employee, and then another 30 minute session with two employees. It was a very personal interview. All questions are STAR and based on experiences and how you handled them. The interviews were very nice and understanding if you had to stop and think a little bit about your answers. They also pause to write down your answers, so do not be discouraged if there are little awkward pauses.

Interview Questions

• Describe a decision you had to make based on a small problem that could've potentially turned into a much bigger problem?   Answer Question

Category Buyer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2016.

Interview

Three person panel interview committee. Each of the panel members asked two questions (total of six) from a standard template of questions. The majority of the questions were situational based vs specifics applicable to position. The environment was comfortable with the process taking approximately 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you weren't allowed sufficient time to complete a project/task...what did you do & what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Engineering Rotational Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (West Lafayette, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

I got the interview after talking to recruiter at career fair. It was typical STAR response questions. I was very upset with the format of the interview. I did not discuss anything or have much personal conversation with the interviewer, he just stared at his computer and typed all of my responses into a box. May have well just handed me the laptop and let me type responses. Based off that one poor experience I am no longer interested in Caterpillar.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you came up with a very creative solution to a problem?   Answer Question

Configurator Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Panel of three managers taking turns asking questions that need examples. About 5 minutes of talk about you in the beginning. They asked me to summarize my experience. And about 5 minutes at the end to just chat and get a idea of my personality. It was exactly one hour and somehow was behind me. Kind of got cut short. You get the feeling that they hate the questions they are asking, but they have to ask them. The answers are still important.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you overcame difficulty with a fellow employee.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time when you went above and beyond the job duty.   Answer Question
    • How do you stay organized? Give an example of a time when this paid off.   Answer Question