Caterpillar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2017

Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schertz, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Schertz, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Well you cannot interview for the position that you are actually going to do I had to interview for a Machine Operator in which is a production line person in which I am not so therefore the questions that were asked did not pertain to anything that I would do.

Interview Questions

• What machines can you operate?   1 Answer

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Winston-Salem, NC) in August 2011.

Interview

Caterpillar uses the STAR approach. Situation Task Action Result. Every question you must answer with these 4 items to score highly for them. The main focus is on motivational fit, behavioral, key decision making and customer focus. They have 3 interviews and each have different questions to try to get different answers to learn how well a person does in different situations.

Interview Questions

• Continuous improvement
      1.We've all had occasions when we were working on something and overlooked a detail. Give me an
      example of when this happened to you. What was the result?   Answer Question

monteur assembleur mécanicien en ligne Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grenoble (France)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Grenoble (France)) in December 2011.

Interview

trois mois avant de rentrée dans l'entreprise.
    des testes avant et nous jugé si la personne convient ou pas .
    chaque teste passer trois semaine attente , jusque il y a trois teste et en suite trois semaines de stage aussi , pour voir les capacité du montage .
    et dernière semaine , ces l'entretien avec le chef équipe.

Interview Questions

• les questions ces la: sécurité , la vélocité , et la productivité. de l'entreprise qui peux nous prendre ou pas. ces se qu'il attend de nous .   1 Answer

Strategic Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2012.

Interview

CAT follows a STAR Interview approach. STAR is a behavioral interview technique which expands to Situation, Task, Action and Result. So the interviewer specifies a challenging situation. You describe Task (what you hoped to achieve ), the action (approach you took) and the Result.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you had a problematic situation at work and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Filled the online application, then I was asked for an telephone interview.

During the phone interview the interviewer makes no effort to sound human or interested in what you are actually saying, the interviewer just reads from a predefined script from the beginning to the end, and expects you to answer the questions according to the S.T.A.R. model, which seems that is the only thing that these "corporate screeners" are trained to do during these telephone interview, aside from write down everything you say.

I would recommend any applicant to clearly state what part of the STAR model are you talking about so that the recruiter have an easy job in filling those 4 little boxes. Speak slowly so they do not make typing mistakes.
    Another suggestion: get a book with all possible questions and answer and just read them when asked (you can ask for some time to think about it, so you have time to search the answer in the book, or online), why did I even bother to prepare real examples? What matters is to reach the assessment center and get a feeling if the people in the department where you will work are human enough for you to be happy to work together.

Supply Chain Planning Engineer ( SAP IM WM ) Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (East Peoria, IL).

Interview

Very smooth Interview and hiring process,
    Phone Interview with 6 professional interviewers for technical round, which lasted for over an hour. Got invitation to attend face to face interview with 3 managers for 1 hour each. CAT paid for flight+hotel+meals plus excellent dinner with hiring manager the night before interview.

Technical Round:
    it was challenging round, dealing with 6 experienced interviewers at a time is a daunting task for any field, cleared with excellent impression. ( Dont even think about proxy Interviews, you will be caught during face to face interview, because management is already aware of it, have seen candidates being turned away because of it )

Face to Face Interview:
    All the questions were STAR type ( Expect technical questions as well), if you have past experience in your field, interview will be smooth like butter.

CAT is really tough on safety, so expect question on safety from your previous experience.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a situation when you had to think out of the box. how did you handle it and what was the outcome.
      Tell me of a situation when you had to work on safety incident, what was the incident and what was your involvement in providing solution and how it turned out.
      And loads of technical questions regarding SAP Processes.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was handsome.

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2011.

Interview

3 technical and 5 manager rounds

Negotiation

Not negotiated.They have given good salary

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Miami, FL) in September 2010.

Interview

I had a first interview at a campus career fair, then I took a personality test and then a interview with Gallup

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Peoria, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (East Peoria, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

I despise the CAT interview process. They require you to go out to dinner the night before the interview to grill you about your personal life ad nauseam. I clearly marked on the online application that I could not do greater than 25% travel, and they informed me AT THE PLANT on the day of the interview that the actual travel requirement for the job is 50%. Eat dirt.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar in January 2010.

Interview

I was already an employee. Cat can be hard to get in from the outside. They do situational interviews but they look internally first before they look outside the company. Many of the mid-career guys know tons of people so much of the process is calling or emailing personal networks for candidates. There is also another system to identify internal candidates. Once again very hard for external candidates to get into Cat. Your resume must be impeccable and then you will need to learn the large volume of initiatives quickly to last.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you: from here it ranged from handling difficult employees to delivering bad news to groups of people while finding ways to motivate them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. Pay based on salary grades. Much of this is set up by corporate and they had put a freeze on raises, limits on promotions. Increases within salary grades by experience and performance.