Caterpillar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Jan 10, 2018

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Ames, IA) in September 2017.

Interview

The whole interview was star based questions most of which are the basic "tell me about a time when.." The interviewer was kind and specified that I was aloud to take moment to think about questions before I answered. The interview was an hour long. Half an hour was spent with one interviewer and the other half with other.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond your job description.   Answer Question

Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Iowa City, IA) in September 2017.

Interview

A very involved process, applied at my school's career fair, and interviewed the next day. I heard back within a week. The interviewers were very friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you took initiative in a group project   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Caterpillar in August 2017.

Interview

Be prepared to provide answers in the STAR format. Situation, Task, Assessment, Resolution.
    If you do not fully answer in the STAR format, they will give follow up questions . They allowed ample time for thought and consideration

Interview Questions

• Describe how you have quality checks in your daily work   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

It was very straightforward. It was back to back 30-minute interviews with 2 different individuals in technical marketing. I researched the company and was able to speak on current events. Their business is changing and they are looking for employees who share their vision of change and who want to make the world a better place. Seeing the big picture of building a bigger world is essential and if you can tie your experience to their vision you will stand out. Also, don't bring up current financial position.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar in July 2017.

Interview

Contacted early summer to set up an interview date. Interviewed on the phone with 2 managers (2 back to back 30 min interviews). They used STAR based system, which was well explained by the recruiter when setting up the interview time as well as by the first interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Mainly leadership questions, with one semi-technical question: How do you approach designing something?   1 Answer

Revenue Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call about a month later to set up a phone interview. All behavioral interview questions. The interviewer was very nice and professional. I liked her but unfortunately I was not prepared for that type of interview questions. I was very busy with my classes. If you prepare well for behavioral questions about team members, leadership ect , you will get a second round..

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume, tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult co worker and how did you handle that. Tell me about a time you did not agree with a team member etc..   Answer Question

Quality Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Athens, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

Long interview asked several questions about your character and how you handle problems that occur without help from your supervisor. Two interview stages. One panel interview and one with direct supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you solved a problem on the job without calling the supervisor   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

I used to admire this awful company since I grew up in Peoria. But after being jerked around more times than I can count by this company and their interviewing process, I now know better.

The first interview was for a full-time position at their corporate headquarters and was an all-day interview. I was fresh out of grad school, and my dad bought me some nice interview clothes. I jumped through all their hoops and was told that I had passed and would here from them soon. Several months and lots of chasing later, they finally told me they didn't have a job at all and probably never would.

Another interview was for a contract position. I showed up and was nervous and had trouble remembering the person I was going to meet with. A cocky, mumbling guy (you know the type) made fun of me and made me look like an idiot.

Interview didn't go well. I was told I was too "low key" and that I didn't want the job.

There were a couple more, both contract jobs. One was a terrible help desk job that paid little and required unpaid overtime, which they justified by claiming it would help avoid burnout (really? How do you figure?). The other interview went ok, but as with the other job I had to nag the hell out of them to get them to tell me they weren't interested.

I gave up entirely on the company (they own Peoria, basically) and eventually relocated to Chicago. You can imagine how unexcited I was when I heard they were moving their headquarters to a town 15 miles away from me. I hope they go bankrupt.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Interview process was intense. They have a qualifier exam, however most of the questions do not make sense. No personal questions are asked, which is fair... however the questions are not related to anything.

Interview Questions

• How long did it take you to solve a very challenging issue?   1 Answer

Belcan Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Caterpillar (East Peoria, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the Belcan recruiter. Belcan managed the interview for me. Applying for the position, getting interview date, interview took approximately 3 weeks. It was a phone interview. Hiring manager(Engineering Supervisor), team lead took the interview. I was contacted again by the Belcan recruiter to notify me that I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral question like how would you ensure best result or minimize error, how would handle extra pressure from customers, problem with co-worker etc. Team lead asked few technical questions like difference between emi receivers, spectrum analyzer, RF amplifier.   Answer Question