Caterpillar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Nov 15, 2017

Engineering Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn Park, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Brooklyn Park, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

no initial phone interview, I was called to setup an on site interview out of the blue. The process only involved an onsite interview. Interviewed with 3 employees for an hour and half who only asked STAR behavioral questions. Probably went through about 20 questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you were able to have success or find a solution when others could not.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Lafayette, IN) in April 2017.

Interview

It wasn't as hard as I thought and the employees were welcoming. The interview focused on your teamwork skills and how you react in certain situations. Everything is based on a scoring system and the manufacturing engineer decision.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you encountered a problem and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Assembly Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Park, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Brooklyn Park, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

The situation, task, action, result (STAR) format is a job interview technique used , be prepared for follow up questions challenging your answers. Also it's okay to bring a note pad with the star method . Makes it easier to remember the flow .

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were faced with a company policy change? How did you adapt to it?   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

STAR technique was used heavily. After that I had a group interview with the management team followed by a personality quiz. I travelled from out of town so they lumped 3 steps together which was nice. I spent most of my day interviewing there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you struggled in school and what was the result?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

2 Cat people, 1 contract company rep, me. Minimal questions. Very cheerful. Generally misleading regarding the essence of the work, which was to be a very obsequious, worker without an innovative spirit.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer routine or diverse daily activities   1 Answer

Engineering Corporate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

Talked with CAT at a career fair, received an email a couple of weeks later asking to interview on campus, Interviewed with 2 CAT managers back to back for 30-40min each, Got another email a week later with a job offer, I had a week to respond.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you made a decision too quickly.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when a decision you made early on save a lot of resources in the long run.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had difficulty convincing a team. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest achievement?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you went above and beyond without being asked.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you did not meet your own standards. How did you overcome that situation?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when your team did not meet standards. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a customer that was difficult to deal with. How did you manage them?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to build a relationship with a customer. How did you go about doing this?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar in March 2017.

Interview

I applied through the company website for the position as a staff accountant for the new regional headquarter in Tucson. It took about two weeks before I was invited for a phone interview with the recruiting team in Peoria. The phone interview took about 30 minutes to complete. The questions were basically behavior type of questions regarding leadership, communication, team building, and initiatives. You had to answer them in a STAR format. I passed the phone interview and I was schedule for an in person interview. I had a month to prepare and wanted to nailed it. They informed me that the interview would take three and a half hour to complete. On the day of the interview, I had do a resume presentation and interview with three people, one hour each and all asking the same question I had with the phone interview. Again it was in STAR format. Overall, the interviewers were nice and explained everything about the company, the culture, etc.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Ames, IA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a 2 part interview process. It included mostly behavioral questions guaging how well you could work in a team. They were very nice and seemed genuinely interested in me.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had an unruly customer and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Contract Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Targeted selection with difficult questions. Usually anywhere from 5-10 questions. Multi-panel interviews or rotation of multiple interviews. Can possibly take longer than expected - don't drink a lot of coffee right before!!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you manager told you that you were not performing up to expectations.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a when you had to deviate away from an established process and how it turned out. Was the process eventually changed or added to in order to include the deviation?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penn State University, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Penn State University, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

Basic behavioral questions. It takes one hour and it goes for the whole time. Heard it would take two months to hear back, but heard back in less than a month