Caterpillar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Targeted selection process... interview with four+ people all trained in the process but not necessarily skilled at interviewing or selection. Many positions are filled with people networked into the company (I was one of these) and not based on fair or objective interviews / qualifications. If you are one of these people the process is quite easy. If you aren’t then it is pretty average. They don’t do a very effective job of checking references to determine if you REALLY did anything that was on your resume and it seems fairly easy to BS through the interview.

Interview Questions

• What were the measurable results of something you claim to have done on your resume?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Aurora, IL).

Interview

3-5 different people depending on the job being applied for and how many people are able to interview the candidate that designated day. At that time, back in May of 2011, they would have one person come in at a time to ask questions. I had about 4 people interview me, but because they do it one on one, I answered some of the question multiple times (sometimes the same question with each person) because they don't review notes before the next person comes in to interview. I would have much preferred a group/panel interview, but I had gotten the job so I was happy either way. They can greatly improve the interview efficiency.

Interview Questions

• When is a time that you failed on a project and what could you have done differently to change the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiating, I tried to ask for more and they said "no, take it or leave it".

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

STAR Based Interview Qs
    Numerous questions
    2-3 people will interview you
    Be well prepared
    Will be asked numerous difficult questions
    Stay relaxed - all of the interviewers were once at your stage and understand that

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you disagreed with a coworker on a decision. How did you handle this.   Answer Question

Corporate Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Behavioral interview focusing on past experiences. Mine was two 30 minute phone interviews back to back. First interview was with HR and was the more intense one and second one was with hiring manager of the group that they are trying to put you in and was more laid back conversation.

Interview Questions

• GIve an example of a time you displayed the ability to lead a team towards success.   Answer Question
    • A situation where you encountered a bad teammate/partner and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

All by email and simply sent the wage along with living stipends.

Supply Chain Planning Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar (East Peoria, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Very informal. Was more of a tour of the facility than a interview. Supervisor was not present. Only a co-worker. This was for a transfer job. Did not get any info about salary or relocation package. Actually was informed by the supervisor, by phone, that he was not sure about the pay. I was asked to relocate without seeing the facility or the pay scale. They wanted me to give them an answer in 3 days. I was informed about the job on Friday and was told that they needed an answer by Monday.

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process was great. Cat does the STAR method, which are essentially behavioral questions. You just have to think of 6 solid stories that display leadership and problem-solving skills. I had to interview with 3 people in one day. They all asked roughly the same questions. This was after I had completed an internship with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you failed.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

After a phone interview they call for an onsite interview. Asked for a few question by 3 supervisor. It's about the same questions as on the phone. Each of them were a team leader.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest part you have done in your last project.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar in December 2015.

Interview

About 2 months after I submitted my application online, I was notified for a phone interview. The interview is with 2 people for about an hour and they go back and forth asking questions (~5). They want answers in STAR format; Situation, Task, Actions, Results. They will contact you if you got the offer 3-4 days later.

Engineer In Residence Interview

Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (DeKalb, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

University got the position in cat and a cat supervisor did a telephone base interview with me about my resume, we were 5 people in final round for the interview, 3 positions were available, also I need to mention 2 of my professors were present in the interview process too but they didn't ask any question and the entire interview handled by the cat supervisor

Interview Questions

• tell me about your previous internships   1 Answer

Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Panel interview, STAR method. No advanced phone screen / initial interview. Questions were all very predictable for STAR method, no curve balls. Interview panel was easy to talk to and professional. Was a bit unusual to get a call from a recruiter asking to travel to Peoria in 3 days for "final round panel interview" without any other prior communication. I have interviewed many other candidates at my current employer and was confident I did a great job. I unintentionally saw my score sheet from the hiring manager (paper was sitting right in front of me at the desk) and I noticed it was near perfect score (1-5 ranking on half a dozen categories). No offer in the end though..Felt that I could've been a stalking horse candidate after they informed me they were going to pursue another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to win over a customer or repair a customer relationship   Answer Question