Caterpillar Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2017

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (College Station, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

It was an hour total interview process. One 30 minute session with an employee, and then another 30 minute session with two employees. It was a very personal interview. All questions are STAR and based on experiences and how you handled them. The interviews were very nice and understanding if you had to stop and think a little bit about your answers. They also pause to write down your answers, so do not be discouraged if there are little awkward pauses.

Interview Questions

• Describe a decision you had to make based on a small problem that could've potentially turned into a much bigger problem?   Answer Question

Category Buyer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2016.

Interview

Three person panel interview committee. Each of the panel members asked two questions (total of six) from a standard template of questions. The majority of the questions were situational based vs specifics applicable to position. The environment was comfortable with the process taking approximately 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you weren't allowed sufficient time to complete a project/task...what did you do & what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar in October 2016.

Interview

After a phone screen interview by a statistician in Peoria, I was asked to complete a STAR interview with two engineers/data people at CAT (one in Peoria, one in Champaign). Since I was not local, I did all my interviews via the phone/Skype. The second (STAR) interview was pretty tough. There were lots of situational question and I really had to dig to answer some of them. Since I am a research statistician, I do not have a lot of sales or customer experience. They asked several questions about what I have done to satisfy "customers" in my job. They also asked some technical questions about what my research background was in and why I would be a good employee to hire.

Although the interview was pretty tough, the interviewers were good to talk to and they seemed engaged throughout the process. I was impressed by CAT during the whole process.

Interview Questions

• What programming languages do you know?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Started out by meeting a Cat representative at the on-campus spring career fair. Submitted my resume online for the position and had an on-campus interview a couple days later. Only the one round of interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Targeted selection that was experienced based questions by three interviewers. STAR type questioning. Get ready by having having a lot of stories from your past ready and memorized prior to the actual interview. The better story teller you are, the better the interview you will have.

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you had a difficult co worker that you needed to get their buy-in for a project.   Answer Question

Engineering Rotational Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (West Lafayette, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

I got the interview after talking to recruiter at career fair. It was typical STAR response questions. I was very upset with the format of the interview. I did not discuss anything or have much personal conversation with the interviewer, he just stared at his computer and typed all of my responses into a box. May have well just handed me the laptop and let me type responses. Based off that one poor experience I am no longer interested in Caterpillar.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you came up with a very creative solution to a problem?   Answer Question

All Roles Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL).

Interview

Nearly all external and internal interviews follow the STAR process. For external full time we will often do a phone interview or an on-campus interview, and if acceptable bring folks in for a panel interview (normally all using STAR).

Interview Questions

• Situation based questions on behavior. I suggest you reference specific experiences and avoid saying what you would do in your responses.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be sure to list internships on your resume. This adds compensation for entry level hires coming out of college.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

I've had several interviews for different communications positions within Caterpillar. They all use STAR (or CAR) interview format: Situation, Task, Action, Result. It's crucial that you answer in this format or they will ask follow up questions to get you to expand upon your answer. Interviews are typically 3 interviewers taking turns asking you these behavioral questions for about 1 hour. It's only difficult if you aren't familiar with the STAR format, but I wasn't for my first interview and still got the job. The whole process from applying to getting an offer will likely take a least one month, if not longer. Don't give up hope if it's been a little while since you've heard from them!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation in which you had to adjust quickly to a significant change in the organization, department or team priorities. How did the change affect you? What did you do?   Answer Question

Configurator Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Panel of three managers taking turns asking questions that need examples. About 5 minutes of talk about you in the beginning. They asked me to summarize my experience. And about 5 minutes at the end to just chat and get a idea of my personality. It was exactly one hour and somehow was behind me. Kind of got cut short. You get the feeling that they hate the questions they are asking, but they have to ask them. The answers are still important.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you overcame difficulty with a fellow employee.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time when you went above and beyond the job duty.   Answer Question
    • How do you stay organized? Give an example of a time when this paid off.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar in August 2016.

Interview

Straightforward behavioral questions that are meant to emphasize your problem solving and conflict resolution abilities. They also examine how you react to failure or mistakes. Afterwards they open it up to any questions that you may have for them or to talk about something that maybe wasn't on your resume. The recruiters I met were incredibly friendly and I felt relatively relaxed during my interview thanks to that.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you made a decision too hastily and what the implications were.   Answer Question