Caterpillar Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

2.8

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

First got a call from HR and did a phone interview. Then a panel interview with three managers was scheduled. About 80% of the questions were behavioral questions rather than technical. Each manager interviews for an hour and takes notes. Then they sit down and grade each interviewee and make the selection based on the number of points each candidate receives.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses/strengths?
    Give me an example of when a coworker was not delivering work on time and what you did?
    What's your best accomplishment in life or your previous work?
    What do you do when you get frustrated at work?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

After a phone interview they call for an onsite interview. Asked for a few question by 3 supervisor. It's about the same questions as on the phone. Each of them were a team leader.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest part you have done in your last project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Did 45 min presentation to describe my background and knowledge.
    The hiring manager knows nothing about the technical stuff.
    So he asks some questions regarding my slides.
    I do not know why the company let someone really know nothing about technical to be your supervisor - politics...

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Very Behavioral. Had 6 Managers from various levels ask about what I would do in certain situations. There were all, already informed of my background so very little questions on that. Mainly wanted to know how I would handle various projects at once.

Interview Questions

• Do you work better with a lot of freedom or a lot of specific tasks.   1 Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2015.

Interview

it was their simulation center, and I went two info sessions with them. This is an interview for optimization, they are looking for some students with mechanical background to do related simulation and optimization works for them

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Caterpillar came to campus for recruiting and held a couple of technical/Q&A sessions, both of which I attended. They held mock interviews and open interviews for their intern position. The mock interview was very helpful, I got a lot of feedback and I think it showed the recruiters I was really interested. The actual interview lasted and hour, two half hour sessions with two different interviewers. All the questions were STAR format. "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult person on a group project" "Tell me about a time you applied a skill you learned" "Tell me about a project that didn't workout like you had hoped"

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and one group member dominated the conversation" It was just tough because it was so specific and I couldn't think of a time I had been in that situation   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

First Interview in campus, second was in Peoria, three different interviews with three different people. It was some time ago, so I don't quite remember well. They also took us on a tour in one of their manufacturing facility as far as I remember.

Interview Questions

• I don't wanna give a wrong question, since this was some time ago.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

I talked to someone at the career fair. They later emailed me saying that they wanted to interview me.

There were two interviews back to back. Both were 30 minutes long. Two really nice guys who asked just about all behavioral questions. They asked three questions at a time, and you got to pick which one you wanted to answer. That made it really easy.

Interview Questions

• Be ready to just talk about yourself. They may ask you to just talk about yourself   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in South Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (South Milwaukee, WI) in November 2012.

Interview

STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result). You give your answer in this format. Otherwise the standard interview questions. You typically are interviewed by a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you trained someone on safety equipment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in August 2008.

Interview

Did an intern with them during the summer. I got the internship just doing behavorial questions and no technical. After the internship I had three interviews with three different managers. Oh and a drug test as well. I got an offer almost right away.

Change of major.