Caterpillar Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Mechanical Engineer Interview Questions

2.8

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

Very Behavioral. Had 6 Managers from various levels ask about what I would do in certain situations. There were all, already informed of my background so very little questions on that. Mainly wanted to know how I would handle various projects at once.

Interview Questions

• Do you work better with a lot of freedom or a lot of specific tasks.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Did 45 min presentation to describe my background and knowledge.
    The hiring manager knows nothing about the technical stuff.
    So he asks some questions regarding my slides.
    I do not know why the company let someone really know nothing about technical to be your supervisor - politics...

Anonymous Employee in South Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (South Milwaukee, WI) in November 2012.

Interview

STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result). You give your answer in this format. Otherwise the standard interview questions. You typically are interviewed by a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you trained someone on safety equipment.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

First got a call from HR and did a phone interview. Then a panel interview with three managers was scheduled. About 80% of the questions were behavioral questions rather than technical. Each manager interviews for an hour and takes notes. Then they sit down and grade each interviewee and make the selection based on the number of points each candidate receives.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses/strengths?
      Give me an example of when a coworker was not delivering work on time and what you did?
      What's your best accomplishment in life or your previous work?
      What do you do when you get frustrated at work?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

After a phone interview they call for an onsite interview. Asked for a few question by 3 supervisor. It's about the same questions as on the phone. Each of them were a team leader.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest part you have done in your last project.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar in May 2015.

Interview

it was their simulation center, and I went two info sessions with them. This is an interview for optimization, they are looking for some students with mechanical background to do related simulation and optimization works for them

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Pune (India)) in December 2011.

Interview

Got call from the consultant regarding the interview date and time 2 days before. Prepared for the interview the technical and HR thoroughly. Reached the venue before time. First the hiring manager took the technical interview which was very good interaction. Then HR round happened. Both the rounds happened same day.

Interview Questions

• How long you plan to be with company   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was good and I was getting almost 50 % hike hence not required to negotiated.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Caterpillar came to campus for recruiting and held a couple of technical/Q&A sessions, both of which I attended. They held mock interviews and open interviews for their intern position. The mock interview was very helpful, I got a lot of feedback and I think it showed the recruiters I was really interested. The actual interview lasted and hour, two half hour sessions with two different interviewers. All the questions were STAR format. "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult person on a group project" "Tell me about a time you applied a skill you learned" "Tell me about a project that didn't workout like you had hoped"

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time when you worked in a group and one group member dominated the conversation" It was just tough because it was so specific and I couldn't think of a time I had been in that situation   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Assessment Centre - Plant tour, competency interview, make your own presentation on given topic then group task. Takes the entire day. Be sure to ask as many questions as you can, no question is a stupid question. But nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. All questions were general obvious interview questions   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

First Interview in campus, second was in Peoria, three different interviews with three different people. It was some time ago, so I don't quite remember well. They also took us on a tour in one of their manufacturing facility as far as I remember.

Interview Questions

• I don't wanna give a wrong question, since this was some time ago.   Answer Question