Caterpillar Senior Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Senior Design Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 11, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Athens, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

Before the interview was given a tour of the facility. Manager briefed about the position before other interviewers joined in. All behavioral type questions. Was a panel interview of 3 including the hiring manager. Questions based on leadership, quality, creativity, technical, etc.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of good decision you made recently.   Answer Question
  • Describe an example of taking initiative to do something that needed to be done, even when it was not your responsibility.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Senior Engineer-Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in September 2015.

Interview

Targeted Selection Interview....3 one hour behavior based interviews.
    The managers were cordial and made me feel relaxed. Expectations from the position were made clear. The overall interview process was smooth. No Technical questions were posed.

Interview Questions

• Described a situation where you failed to deliver what you promised and what did you do   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Five interviews back to back on same day
    3 one hour interviews with three different managers all 3 were 1 to 1 and an hour long each.
    Two 30 minutes interview with 2 different team leads.
    With managers all were behavioral questions and they were accepting me to answer in STAR.
    Situation - background
    Task or Target - specifics of what's required
    Action - what you did, skills used
    Result - what happened?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mossville, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Mossville, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Met briefly with supervisor to discuss opportunity he had posted on internal job posting site. We discussed his current team and how I might fit in and I then applied for the opportunity

Interview Questions

• How could I bring value to the existing team and not upset the balance of how the team function   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

behavior based interview. Tell me about yourself. Name a time that you have overcame a technical challenge. Give an example how to deal with a difficult person. an example of failed project. what is your goal for next five years ? name a time you solved a problem.

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

was interviewed at college campus first. situation based questions. 3 weeks later was interviewed at their facility by 3 interviewers separately. again situation based questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked them to give some signing bonus.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chicago, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

A phone call from a recruiter, one on the phone interview three face to face interviews all behaviourial. The phone interview was the main one. Onsite were easy once all were done by peers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation at work and how did you handle it
      Describe situation at work when you were not equipped to handle an assignment
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

At the beginning, the team lead will interview the candidate in their area by using phone screening (technical questions in very details). If you passed, Then three engineers or managers provide target selection interview. Questions are varied with positions that you are applying. After interview, three people will meet together to grade the candidate in Communication, Creative, Team work, Leadership. Results will be hold for 2 years. The team manager will look at the interview results and make the final decision.

Interview Questions

• Could you give me an example about how did you resolve a conflict between you and others?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can ask for salary which could be varied within a range. 5K or less is most likely.10k is limit. Hiring manager can determine your vacation days. You can ask for 20 days which is maximum.

Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Lafayette, IN) in September 2010.

Interview

Star ( process situation/task, action, result). It helps to just think of telling a story of a project from completion to end.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you failed at something   1 Answer

Negotiation

I wasn't able to get anything more out of them. Of course the offer was far and above my current salary so I can't complain.