Caterpillar Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.6

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

It was 30 min phone interview with hiring manager and tech lead. Most of the questions were to do with my experience. Went over what the group does. Asked few questions about my past work experience. They were looking for experience with C++ on Windows.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar in June 2015.

Interview

Interview process was pretty smooth. Just had a phone interview of about 45 minutes and that was it. I interviewed with one of the Team lead and the manger of the section. very casual interview. Be clear and explanatory

Interview Questions

• Basic questions of OO Prograaming. Questions of design patters and version control. expect a wierld question like "explaijn your passion for programming"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through a referral, process took a couple weeks. Two 1 hour interviews with 2 different interviewers. All behavioral questions which didn't allow me to show my technical skills even though I was applying for a software position. Never heard back even though the interviewer said they would keep me posted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to resolve a conflict within a group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Dallas, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Took around 7 weeks. But got offered a position. Slow and painful process!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make an unpopular decision   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation. Was a good offer!

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Aurora, IL) in July 2011.

Interview

Nice people. Interviewed by HR, Super, 2 Team leads. 1 hour on Software fundamentals ... know your stuff. This was for a contract-to-hire position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected or too difficult. Just long and inclusive of several software areas related to the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Accepted contract. Never offered a permanent position. Left after 1 year.

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in September 2009.

Interview

Got call from recruter, phone interview as I was in other state, asked me my C++ and OOD skills. Most of them were concepts and also asked me to give examples.

Interview Questions

• What is inheritage in OOD concept? Show an example how you used it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

NA

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in October 2016.

Interview

3 rounds
    1. Written(Technical,Quants,Verbal)
    2. GD
    3. Tech cum HR

Poor interview, They didn't know any Technical questions at all, They stuttered when i asked to explain more about the question.

They don't have any idea about hiring itself i think.

Finally they selected 2 Candidates, Purely based on CGPA, Ans not just any thing.

Interview Questions

• OOPS,DBMS,DS,Projects (All basics)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar.

Interview

Written test followed by group discussion and then Interview
    Interview - very easy to crack. Only basics and project.
    If you go through written test and GD you are almost 90% there.
    Good knowledge on fundamentals essential

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in October 2015.

Interview

Had 3 stages ,
    Written ( aptitude + technical + verbal) Basic oop , dbms , computer networks and data structure objective type questions
    Gd ( they judge the patience and the way you handle the gd over the facts you present )
    Final interview (technical + hr )

Interview Questions

• Basic conceptual questions on oop and database ( as there were projects mentioned in the resume )
      Tell me about this project ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in August 2013.

Interview

Basically, for the first round, questions were related to coding, general aptitude, and verbal aptitude. Good thing is that there was no writing of snippets but just MCQs. Coding questions section was of most importance, where a single, lengthy code was given and the output was to be guessed for different statements given.
    The second round was GD. Actually seems easy but this is the round where they downsized the shortlisted people into half.
    The last round was HR. Make sure you know all about the projects you have mentioned in the resume, because they pose questions only based on the information poured in there.