Caterpillar Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 28, 2017

2.8

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone Call with Manager went through my resume and asked little about previous project and reason for look new job, basic questions in C, Simulink and other skills.
Asked me explain my course projects and how I used Simulink in them.

Interview Questions

• Experience with Development tools and Environments like Simulink, Autosar, Davinci products   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Caterpillar

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

It was 30 min phone interview with hiring manager and tech lead. Most of the questions were to do with my experience. Went over what the group does. Asked few questions about my past work experience. They were looking for experience with C++ on Windows.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar in June 2015.

Interview

Interview process was pretty smooth. Just had a phone interview of about 45 minutes and that was it. I interviewed with one of the Team lead and the manger of the section. very casual interview. Be clear and explanatory

Interview Questions

• Basic questions of OO Prograaming. Questions of design patters and version control. expect a wierld question like "explaijn your passion for programming"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Champaign, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through a referral, process took a couple weeks. Two 1 hour interviews with 2 different interviewers. All behavioral questions which didn't allow me to show my technical skills even though I was applying for a software position. Never heard back even though the interviewer said they would keep me posted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to resolve a conflict within a group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Dallas, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

Took around 7 weeks. But got offered a position. Slow and painful process!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to make an unpopular decision   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation. Was a good offer!

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Aurora, IL) in July 2011.

Interview

Nice people. Interviewed by HR, Super, 2 Team leads. 1 hour on Software fundamentals ... know your stuff. This was for a contract-to-hire position.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected or too difficult. Just long and inclusive of several software areas related to the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Accepted contract. Never offered a permanent position. Left after 1 year.

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Peoria, IL) in September 2009.

Interview

Got call from recruter, phone interview as I was in other state, asked me my C++ and OOD skills. Most of them were concepts and also asked me to give examples.

Interview Questions

• What is inheritage in OOD concept? Show an example how you used it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

NA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in September 2017.

Interview

I was applied through my college. There will be three rounds.
    First round will be MCQ round with simple coding questions and some SQL queries ....
    MCQ questions will be divided into three parts. 1. Technical 2. Aptitude 3. Verbal
    Totally it will be 30 + 3(coding and SQL queries) + 20 + 20 and the time will be one and a half hours. Don't worry the questions will be easy for verbal refer Indiabix.

out of 800 candidates 150 were selected for 2nd round

Second Round : GD (group of 10 candidates) It will be easy. You should speak confidently.

Third Round : Technical HR (Please be perfect in your projects, have as many projects as you can) Technical Skills Required : Deep knowledge in Java, Java Script, Oracle (any one is enough) They will ask which one we will like to have. Java knowledge is must.

All the Best!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in September 2017.

Interview

process consists of 4 rounds.1st round comprises of aptitude,verbal ,objective c and c++ written test.2nd GD(2 topics) each 7 minutes.3rd round was technical,and final hr round.Gd consists of technical and non technical topics. for eg hybrid cars is good or bad,spending money and resource in space research is good or bad.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caterpillar (Chennai (India)) in October 2016.

Interview

3 rounds
    1. Written(Technical,Quants,Verbal)
    2. GD
    3. Tech cum HR

Poor interview, They didn't know any Technical questions at all, They stuttered when i asked to explain more about the question.

They don't have any idea about hiring itself i think.

Finally they selected 2 Candidates, Purely based on CGPA, Ans not just any thing.

Interview Questions

• OOPS,DBMS,DS,Projects (All basics)   1 Answer