Cathay Pacific Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Cathay Pacific

2.9

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cathay Pacific (South San Francisco, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

This was for an SFO-based crew. They said that it was the last full crew they were bringing on board for a while in SF, so new hires in the future will only be to fill in the places for current flight attendants who decide to leave. The LA-based group is younger so there is more opportunity for hiring.

The interview was held at a hotel near the airport in two separate conference rooms. First, we signed in and all met in one conference room. There were about 25 of us. The crew manager told us that there were originally thousands of resumes sent. We were part of the 270 people who were chosen to do this first-round interview (there would be multiple sessions throughout the week). Of the 270, some would go on to the second interview, but ultimately, they are looking to fill 20 positions.

We were given a brief orientation about life as a flight attendant as well as played a short video on the 6-week training period. Then four crew members came and we were given the opportunity to ask questions, which lasted about 10 minutes. We were then divided into two groups and half the group left for the group assignment.

I stayed in the first room and the crew members facilitated the arm reach test and language assessment (each less than a minute), which were both very simple and relaxed. I had the chance to mingle with other applicants, which really took the stress out of the whole process.

When we were all done and the other group was done, we switched places. In the other room, we sat around a conference table with three interviewers. We each had a chance to introduce ourselves (name, occupation, why we want to become a flight attendant, what languages we speak). Then the assignment was given: as a group, choose the 3 best traits that a "best employee award" recipient should have. We were given about 5 minutes. Obviously it was a test to see how you worked well in a team and not necessarily what answers we give.

They said that they would call accepted applicants within a week for the second round: another group assignment as well as a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• As a group, choose 3 traits that you think a "best employee award" recipient should have.   2 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Cathay Pacific.

Interview

This was a while ago but this is as much as I can remember. I applied NY base Aug 2013, got a call Apr 2014 asking if I was still interested to interview in May. Just like that, no pre screening or anything, seemed to me they just called everyone who submitted a resume......
    Got there very early, chatted with a few candidates, interview was late because they were not done w the previous group. You could clearly see they did not even filter the candidates before that first interview, which I thought was unprofessional because they are wasting people's time.
    They did a presentation about the company and the job, after that some people were brought to another room for the group interview, the rest stays in the room to conduct reach test and language assessment. The language test was very sketchy because you are just in a corner and they ask you to read from the paper, then ask you a question in the language and that was it.
    Group interview question I remember was one of those question posted on here before but I cannot recall which one. After that they tell you that if you do not hear anything for 2 weeks you are considered unsuccessful.

Here is my second experience with them Hong Kong base.

Applied late Aug 2014 email mid Sep to join recruitment day late Sep.

Arrived at Cathay City (Hong Kong) very early, apparently they schedule people with different time slot but if you get there early they squeeze you in for the talk anyway. You give them application, resume, passport photo and HK ID, then proceed into the hall, meanwhile they do the reach test as you walk down to sit. They do the talk, now they bring you upstairs.

First group interview was pretty good but definitely unpredictable. You get these cards on your table and you have to discuss amongst the group and rank the cards, I got Olympic Games and you have to rank which game to be eliminated first and explain yourself. I just did my best, talked and maintained eye contact, I passed.

Second group process was long. You have a debate then you have a role playing. This is the time where you get very comfortable with the other candidates, which should be a good thing but it's not. And I will explain why.
    If you are selected in the interview, then you go have lunch, and return for English assessment and will be given a final interview date which will be one on one.

Cathay Pacific do not like people who are confident. They like people who can be easily trained, easily manipulated so to say. If you really want the job and are a very confident person, you need to act like you are very scared the whole time and not confident. I am so serious about this because when I got sent home after the second group interview, some other candidates and I left together and we were evaluating the people who got to stay, non of them appeared to be a confident person at all, they are all the submissive ones. So do not show personality, then you will do fine. Also I read somewhere that if you English is awesome you will get selected, that is complete bull. All the ones who have studied aboard or live in a western country were eliminated (because of the confidence issue).

Do not be upset if you fail because like I said in the beginning, they don't have a pre screening process like other companies, you just go to the first interview without any personality test or video, phone interview. So you can imagine they have so many reasons to reject people in the first interview. Personally I think it's a horrible experience, complete waste of my time and money, I will probably never apply them again.

Good luck!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Cathay Pacific (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Arm Reach, they said 208cm. But it is wrong. More like 212cm. Group discussion..not enough time..interviewer do not bother. English and Mandarin Assessment. But seems they only hire 1 or 2 but many people interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cathay Pacific (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

One phone call interview, two group interviews, and one on one interview.
    Phone call interview question would be are you able to work in the United State? R you older 18?
    Group interview: why choose Cathy Pacific? any difficulte customer experience you had?
    One on one interview: general interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Interviewe questions were not so clear. You should ask them if you dont get the questions.
      Questions like: Why Cathy Pacific? Why want to work as flight attendant? Are you able to relocate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cathay Pacific (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

This is my first interview. I dress up nice and wait outside the interview room. I try to talk with other people while I am waiting. This is a good time to talk to people because there may some spies near you and check you out. Then we line up for register. Be sure to bring all the documents. We walk in and sit down for the powerpoint slide show. The slide show is about Cathay Pacific's history, job descriptions, benefits etc. Be sure to take notes while you are listening. After the slide show, they will open for questions. Try to be active in this section. After that, the Cathay Pacific staff start to divide people into groups for group interview. You walk into another room and wait for the staff to come in. We have to introduce ourselves. It will be good if you have a long self introduction. Then we have our group discussion. My question is: What traits and skills help the Cabin Crew win the "World best Cabin Crew", with reasons to support your ideas. Remember to have reasonable reasons. Listen to what other people say and mark down their points. Then the staff will ask you to choose the most three important points and to talk about it. Language test and height testing will be after the discussion.

Interview Questions

• What traits and skills help the Cabin Crew win the "World best Cabin Crew", with reasons to support your ideas   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

It was really a good experience of the interview of Cathay Pacific. The people are nice and professional. First they explained the company history and the job nature to the candidates. Then group activity to discuss a certain topic. After that, you will need to pass their language test by reading a paragraph in another Asian language. And of course, there is a height measuring by touching 208cm. If everything goes well, the HR will contact you to attend the second interview!

Interview Questions

• Need to participate in the group brain storm, and show the team work spirit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cathay Pacific (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

This interview process was for Cathay Pacific's LAX BASE CREW April 2014. I first saw that Cathay Pacific was hiring through Indeed.com and noticed there was a forum already set-up since almost 5 years ago with people talking about how the process goes. I applied back in September 2013. Process of getting your application in would be to send in your resume to the email they provide. I also sent a cover letter along with my resume in hopes of getting a call back from Cathay Pacific. Within a few days of sending in my resume, I received a phone call stating they received my resume and would like to set up a group interview with me. I had 3 choices of 3 different days with 3 different times. The first group interview started off in a room of about 30 people. They gave a brief overview of Cathay Pacific but not much into detail. You had the option to ask their current Flight Attendants any questions. This would be the best time to ask questions because interviewers are already judging everyone from this point. After people were done asking questions, they split the group into 3 groups of 10. The first group of 10 are sent to a different room and this is where they exam how you work well with a group. They give you a topic, you have 3 mins to think and 10 mins to discuss and come to a final decision. After your group is done, you go back to the other room and do a height reach test along with a basic language test of your fluent language. They told us we would hear from them by the end of the week if we pass the first round but I received a call the same night stating i had passed the first interview and to schedule a second group interview along with a 1:1 interview. The second group interview are broken down into much smaller groups. 3 groups of 4 and was given another topic, after discussing with your group, you are to present your topic and answers individually in front of everyone and fill out paperwork afterwards. While filing out paperwork, you are called one by one to interview. After that, you are done and are told if you pass, you will find out by the beginning of the following week. I was unfortunately not called. Overall, it is time consuming but it is definitely worth it if this is where you see yourself. Although this was my second time, they do encourage everyone who does not pass to definitely try again.

Interview Questions

• What skills/traits should an awarding flight attendant have?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cathay Pacific (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

This is for SFO base for the January 2014 hires.
    I applied in Dec via email and they called me back in early Jan to set up an interview for mid Jan. They gave me three days to choose from, morning or afternoon (6 in total). They sent me an email shortly after confirming apt & directions to where it would be held.
    Be dressed properly for an interview, professional business attire. They called us all into a room (roughly 25 people) and showed us a short presentation about Cathay. Next, they pulled a group of about 6-10 people in a separate room to do a group interview. The rest of the group does a reach test to 208cm without shoes. They do language assessment; you answer simple questions in your language and read a few lines.
    For the group interview, they ask everyone to introduce themselves; name, current job, and language. They give everyone one topic and you brainstorm on your own for a few minutes. You then discuss the topic amongst yourselves while staff observes. What are three characteristics that helped Cathay win Best Cabin Crew? You work as a team to choose three most important qualities. Make sure you speak up and don’t be overlooked, but don’t interrupt other people or try to take over the whole conversation.
    They called me at the end of the week and let me know I passed the first interview and set up the second interview a week later. Again, there were three days, morning or afternoon. They emailed me confirming apt and list of document copies I would need to bring. This includes passport photos.
    For the second interview, the group was cut in half, about 15 or less people. We were divided into groups of 4-5 people. You were given a few minutes to brainstorm your topic and then discuss amongst your group. “What are the characteristics that make a good flight attendant?” We each had to come up with a point so we can stand up and present it to the whole group. Then, we had to fill out some paperwork, this includes background check and visa application. As we were sitting, they would call a person to do one on one interview.
    For the one on one, smile a lot and be yourself. They are very sweet people and even though it was intimidating at first, I found it easy to open up to them. They asked me to tell me about myself and about my current job. They asked very basic customer service related questions such as “tell me about a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer.” The interview was about 20 minutes, after this and all your paperwork is handed in, you are free to go.
    They called me at the end of the week to let me know I was selected for April training! The offer was subject to passing background check and medical exam. They gave me a time period within two weeks so I could choose a day to do the medical exam, morning or afternoon. They emailed me the apt confirmation and let me know there will also be an English assessment afterwards.
    For the medical exam, they did a urine, blood, vision & hearing test. They also took an x-ray of my chest area. After, I met with a staff to do the English assessment. The reading portion included reading a story and answering multiple choice questions. There was also choosing the best word to complete the sentence part. For the hearing test, you had to listen to a conversation on earphones and at the end answer some questions about it. When you complete both tests, they let you know if you passed.
    They sent me an email two weeks after the second interview stating my background check was cleared. They are very thorough with this and they will contact your references. One and a half weeks after my medical exam, they sent me another email stating the orientation date and time and that I should be expecting an offer package in the mail.
    I think the interview process went very smoothly. I love how they call you immediately after each process and let you know the results and don’t dangle you on a string. It seems like a lengthy process, however, this is a very special job and they need time to apply for a visa if you are hired. If you are motivated and you’re passionate about being a flight attendant, I would say it is very much worth it. I wrote this long detailed interview process so future hires will know what to expect. I hope this helps someone who is looking for a position with Cathay.

Interview Questions

• What is the purpose of a flight attendant?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cathay Pacific (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied like a month ago.....and first got a phone call and ask me when is the best time to schedule a group interview....then I gave them a date and time....then they sent me e-mail to tell me what to bring to the first inteview....

On the interview day...I got there 30 mins before the scheduled time...always show up before time is the best step you should do! As I walked in...I already saw 3 people are waiting at the lobby...so I sat down with that group..and chit chat ....and 10 mins before the interview start....I saw people with uniform start walking in...they started to set up tables and room....

The interview began in a small conference room with projector on ...the manager start talking and explaining about the company's background....how we pay (roughly) ...benefits...and etc....just background stuff....then they ask us if we have any questions to ask the crew...or the manager...This is the best time to show some interested...and start asking question!

After the questions...some people were being call to go to another room for a group discussion...the rest stay in the room for the reach test and language assessment test....you will be able to reach the height of 208cm with shoes off...but you can tip-toe to do the test....people that won't be able to do this will not be qualified at all...

The language assessment is for people who can speak at least one asian language ...they gave you a passage to read in your own language....I was reading Cantonese and Mandarin...that was easy....

During in the group discussion, we were giving a topic....about 7 people are allow to use 4-5 mins to brain storm...and discuss the conclusion..there's no wrong or right answer to this one...they just wanna see how well you discuss with the people and how you interact with people...remember to smile!!!! LOT of smile! After the group...it said we are free to go...and will contact us if we have 2nd interview within a week!

After like few days... I got the call for second Interview!!!!! Excited!! Scheduled to see those people again at the same place..

During this interview... about 14 people were there...we first were sit in the same room...5 or 4 people per table....we were giving a topic...we need to each member come up with a point to support the topic...my topic questions was " What does it takes to become the first aircraft in the industries?" We gave 5 points...and we need to stand up in front of the people and do our total of 3 mins presentation....After the presentation...we step out of the room...and people start being called for the 1:1 interview and also filling out some paper work inside the room....

I was the first person that was being called to do the 1:1 interview...so nervous...but definitely don't show it...just keep smiling...treat the conversation is a very relax and informal conversation..you will be fine! I was being asked why I want to work for cathay ,,,but not other airline company...and also some situation questions like "what if a passenger is not satisfy with the red wine we used to carry but we don't have it anymore...what would you do?" situation question like that you are expected to answer them...BE PREPARED! Also think of a time when you have to deal with a angry customer? Those very usual customer service type of questions...I handled it very nicely...the whole 1:1 interview took about 25 mins....

After that..i went back to the room and fill out paper work....then I went home...they told us we will hear from them after a week or so....if we get hired or not...

But after like 5 days... I already got a phone call from them saying I got selected!!! The whole hiring presses only took 15 days! it was really quick!

BUT...this doesn't mean I'm officially hire,,,because there's still a medical exam and English assessment test that I still need to go through before is official. Good luck for the future batch!!

Interview Questions

• what if a passenger is not satisfy with the red wine we used to carry but we don't have it anymore...what would you do?   1 Answer
    • What are 3 characteristics that a best customer service should have?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cathay Pacific.

Interview

Cathay Pacific based in New York.
    First interview process in 1 day. Got divided into small group of 10. Giving out the topic for group discussion. After that you'll have to do the second language test with the small paragraph of your language. Do the arm-reach of 208.